Dr Z Surgical Steel

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
Kind of interested in this for regular 6 string playing as a tight, loud and proud pedal platform.

I'm guessing no one on here has tried it in this capacity, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

tele_jas

Kind of interested in this for regular 6 string playing as a tight, loud and proud pedal platform.

I'm guessing no one on here has tried it in this capacity, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

I see Joe Walsh uses one?

Have you seen this video from the Z website?

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
I see Joe Walsh uses one?

Have you seen this video from the Z website?

Yes - and I do like the way the Les Pauls and the Strats sound - clearly they're using a drive pedal on those, which is fine by me.

ledzep618

Hmm I don't mind the Les Paul tones with the Z drive but I am very underimpressed by that strat clean tone. Pretty much sounds like the most generic of cleans to me, which is probably great for the pedal steel but I dunno about regular playing.

calfzilla

Cynical Hack

It's pretty much built for it. It uses that 12DW7 to drive the effects loop, which is actually a really cool design since is uses the mis-matched gain of the triodes to account for the different input/output levels of the effects loop. If you're going to be using effects all day, every day, it's probably your best option outside of a Twin. But of course that Twin is turbo heavy unless you want to chop up a SF to make a head.

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
It's pretty much built for it. It uses that 12DW7 to drive the effects loop, which is actually a really cool design since is uses the mis-matched gain of the triodes to account for the different input/output levels of the effects loop. If you're going to be using effects all day, every day, it's probably your best option outside of a Twin. But of course that Twin is turbo heavy unless you want to chop up a SF to make a head.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking!

Might do it!

communarchy

Silver Supporting Member
You won't be disappointed in this as pedal platform. We threw a EQD Hoof in front of it and had a "Marty McFly" moment. With certain pedals, the Surgical Steel has earth shaking bottom end. Controllable with the EQ, but like an earthquake with a muff. When the amp was released in early 2016, we pulled it from the line to perfect the effects loop because of the potential it had as a pedal platform with a 6 string after Joe Walsh loved using it on his last tour. We re-released it a few months ago. I can only imagine how the amp would sound with a baritone guitar.

And if you get it cranked past noon, you'll start to get some warm, harmonic hair from the KT88s. You'll need ear plugs at that point though.

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
You won't be disappointed in this as pedal platform. We threw a EQD Hoof in front of it and had a "Marty McFly" moment. With certain pedals, the Surgical Steel has earth shaking bottom end. Controllable with the EQ, but like an earthquake with a muff. When the amp was released in early 2016, we pulled it from the line to perfect the effects loop because of the potential it had as a pedal platform with a 6 string after Joe Walsh loved using it on his last tour. We re-released it a few months ago. I can only imagine how the amp would sound with a baritone guitar.

And if you get it cranked past noon, you'll start to get some warm, harmonic hair from the KT88s. You'll need ear plugs at that point though.

Thanks! Very psyched. I love it loud. I also have a Fryette power station, so I bet I could get that hair at a bit lower volume, too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom