Dr. Z Users -- Tell us a little about yourself!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by roushc, Dec 24, 2004.

1. roushc

roushc Guest

I thought of a fun thread idea...at least for my tastes.

It's kind of a quick, fun survey of Dr. Z users and how they use their amps.

--------

Amp:

Guitars:

Pedals:

Style of Music:

Likes about setup:

Dislikes about setup:

--------

Me first, I suppose...

Amp: Dr. Z Route 66 (soon to be KT-45 too)

Guitar: Fender CS Tele Jr. (mahogany and P90s with a set-neck)

Pedals: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe, Klon Centaur, EH Frequency Analyzer (in Loooper), Boss DD-20

Style of Music: Experimental indie rock meets dance music meets hardcore...really technical, lots of crazy stuff, high energy

Likes about setup: The Route 66 sounds amazing set-up for a pretty thick crunch. The P90s give it a certain bite, but the amp retains an intense fatness and richness to the crunch tones.

Dislikes about setup: I'm falling out of love with the Klon (will be replaced by the Pro Analog Dual Drive). The 66 can be a bit saggy on really complex parts, which is why I'm looking into the KT-45.

--------

Have fun! :dude

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Amp: KT45

Guitars: humbucker Les Paul & hollowbody Hamer Newport

Pedals: delay, chorus, more chorus, wah, OD, compressor

Style of Music: RAWK!

Likes about setup: Bold but some welcome "give" around the edges

Dislikes about setup: I'm ugly.

:dude

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Amp: Z28 2x10 Combo

Guitars: 1975 Fender Strat, Heritage H-537v(335 single cut) Sekova 335 Copy, Yamaha SBG1000, 1983 Squire Strat

Pedals: NVN Easy Face Custom, NVN Bronto Boost, Pedalworz McFuzz, Boss Blues Driver,

Style of Music: Some blues, some rock, some other stuff.

As far as likes/dislikes: It sounds great with all my guitars, but I haven't owned it long enough to get to know it as well as I'd like to. It's not going anywhere though.

My next Z will either be a KT-45 or a Super Z. Can't decide.

4. 55 Jr

55 Jr Member

I'll bite:

Amp: Z28 (bought on the bay). Bogner Ported 1X12 Cabinet

Guitars: 55 Les Paul Jr. 1968 Telecaster with factory Bigsby

Pedals: Clyde Wah Deja Vibe FDII FM Line 6 DL-4

Style of Music: Rock and blues

Likes about setup: Best amp I've owned. Endless sustain with the old Les Paul and the FDII. It's just so easy to get a good sound.

Dislikes about setup: Damn Loud! (have an Airbrake on the way). I spent two days in a rehersal room with this thing cranked/ un attenuated. My ears are still ringing!

Best regards,

Brian

5. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Amp: Z28 and Carmen Ghia. Various open back cabs, celestion greens, G12H30's, and Eminence. Mostly Greenbacks. Z airbrake close by at all times.

Guitars: PRS CU22, STD24, SCT, Thorn w/ P90's, Parts Telecaster

Pedals: Xotic RC/AC - HBE Compressor, Powerscreamer, Voodoo Labs Chorus Startouch AB/Y

Style of Music: Blues, Rock, Roots, some Jazz, Country picken. David Grissom tone is my aspiration.

Likes about setup: Everything! Ghia is recent, still have to set up, dial etc. But the Z28 is the pry it from my cold dead hands amp!

Dislikes about setup: NOTHING!!!

I'm obscenely happy with my tone and amps since getting my Z's. But they're addictive. Can't have just one!! Had a 'rati for awhile and it was great too.

Think Either a KT45 or a 65/45 next--If I NEED it. more likely need another attenuator for the Ghia rig.

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

Amp: Maz 18 Reverb head, Jenkins 1-12 cab (open back) with a greenback.

Guitar: Telecaster, with Rio Grande Fat Bottom P/U's, occasional Strat, and still looking for the right McCarty.

Pedals: Teese RMC, Keeley Comp, RC Booster, Tech 21 Double Drive, Boss DD3

Style of Music: Bar Band mostly, all styles but Classic Rock if you had to give it a name. Also my rig for small swing/blues band.

Likes: Best tone I've had in 40 years of gigging. Easy to move.

Dislikes: Need another head with more headroom. Looking at a Prescription, but I've only been able to try one out in a store. Trying to nail one now on eBay if I can get it cheap enough!

Merry Christmas!

7. bukowski

bukowski Member

I love this setup I play mostly a 68tele in a jazz trio (plenty of headroom)and a 7 piece blues /rock/funk/country band I use a keeley modded sparkle drive and holy grail reverb (when needed)line 6 delay ,blues driver ,swampthang temelo .But mostly I like plug'in straight in the zbest with v30 and h30 ,the only complaint is the weight of the zbest ,but I've deciede to look at it like its good exercise dig!

8. Shemp

Shemp Member

Amp: Dr. Z Route 66 through Fender Tonemaster 4X12 with V30s

Main Guitars: R7 GT - Voodoo 59s, CS 60s Relic - Fralinized, PRS CU 22 Soapbar - Lollars, CU22 Artist, ES 135, 52RI with HD S90 and V+

Pedals: Curently using AC and RC Boosters, Vintage Rat, Ibanez Echomachine

Style of Music: Chicago style blues, Classic Rock

Likes about setup: The Rt 66 is sone of the best pure blues and classic rock amps made today. With a Les Paul or a Hot Tele it is as thick and crunchy as you could ask for. Wonderful lead and rhythm rig.

Dislikes about setup: The amp doesn't have much clean headroom and in a "dense" soundscape it can get a bit lost. However, in a trio or quartet it just rocks.

9. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Amp: Maz38 Invasion 2x12, Carmen Ghia, Z28 2x10, and Mini-Z

Guitars: G&L Bluesboy thinline, G&L ASAT, McInturff Polaris, Fender Strat

Pedals: ZVex SHO, VL Tremolo, Dano Dan-Echo, Boss BD-2, Fulltone 69, and Fulltone FD2

Style of Music: Played blues forever, but currently play in an alt-country/trad. country/roots rock band.

Likes about setup: Main setup is Bluesboy/Strat -> Z28. It cuts through so nicely and has fantastic sustain and sweetness. The power lever is perfect too

Dislikes about setup: <still thinking> :dude:. The Z28 is a bit heavier than I thought it would be, but still lighter than my Maz38!

10. Curt

Curt Member

AMP: Maz 18 Head and Z- Best 2/12 Cab All Blonde

Guitars: PRS S/C Private Stock. Tiger Eye / Brazilian Neck. It is without a doubt, the best guitar I have ever owner or played.
    Also... Fender Custom Shop Strat with Wagner Pups

Pedals: V-Stack / Tim / Teese Picture Wah

Styles: All

Dislikes: None.

11. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Amp: Maz Jr 210, Maz Sr head/ZBest 212 cab.

Guitars: Tom Anderson Hollow T Classic, Am Fender Strat.

Pedals: A lot in the closet, on the pedal board is only a TU 2 & a Rt 66 comp/OD.

Style of Music: Play in two bands: Rock/Blues/R&B/Original and a classic honky tonk group

Likes about setup: Consistency, dependability, tone, cool look and vibe. Always get at least a couple comments (mostly good!)about either rig when playing out.

Dislikes about setup: ZBest is heavy to move around, otherwise not much to dislike IMO.

A couple of pictures of both amps & guitars located on Myles Rose's site....

12. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Amp:Route66,Z-best cab

Guitars:Don Grosh set necks(one HB's,one P-90's)

Effects:Stephenson StageHog,Matchless RV-1,Fulltone TTE(not in that order)

Style of music:Blues rock,Classic rock,Alternative rock,Brighton rock...(oops!!!)

Likes about set up:Smooth and refined,plays well at diverse situations,always feels(actually lets me feel)unhindered and expressive

Dislikes about set up:Took me ages to configure...Wish I had it earlier!

Enjoy!

13. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Maz 18 Jr. w/G12H

LP
    Strat
    Tyler SE HD

Looper tune/mute
    RMC LE Wah

Axess GRX #1
    Mojo Vibe
    AM TS-9 Silver
    Maxon SD-9
    AM Comprosser

Axess GRX #2
    Arion chorus
    Voodoo lab Trem
    Micro Verb (delays)
    Micro Amp

controlled by Rocktron Midi Mate (vers 1)

Style, contemporary Christian

Likes, very versatile. From chicken pickin to Bridge of Sighs.

Dislikes, few. The amp eats a pair of EL-84's in about a year, no biggy.

14. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

Amp:Z28

Guitars:Custom parts gtr

Pedals:Little Lanilei reverb, Super Duper boost

Style of Music: rock/pop, jazz/blues

Likes about setup: nice amount of power, great sound

Dislikes about setup: there is a very small rattle somewhere on the amp, that I'm too lazy & inept to find right now.

15. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

Amp: (2) Z28 Combo's... a 2x10 in black, with stock speakers, & a 1x12 in cream with a Governor

Guitars: Lentz T, & a homebrew mahogany strat

Pedals: multiple BJF dirt boxes, Pigtronix Phaser, Echoczar & Powerglide. Zendrive & Clay Jones OD on the way, as well as some customs.
    Current setup:
    Strobo>Pig>VCF>MIBB>PGC>LAW>EGDM>LGW>DRD>SBEQ>Echoczar & Powerglide>BPB

Style of Music: Jump blues to country rock, Nawlins' funky dance grooves, & spacey atmospheric stuff

Likes about setup: Very versatile, can cover any style, but runnin' stereo with the Echoczar... FUHGEDABOWDIT!!

Dislikes about setup: Not a one. Still finalizing my pedalboard, & I'm getting real close now. Working on powering 3 pedals @ 18v, 8 @ 9v, & 3 @12v. Almost there...

16. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

amps:
    RT66, Z-28 2X10, first run max18 Nr fat sounds model.

Guitars:
    Two PRS mac's, 57' strat, 57' LP(retired) 70's LP 60's danelectro double CW (like page's) tyler super strat.

pedals:
    tone wizard, klon, tc booster line driver. (one at a time, my rule" never more then one boost/OD per board) various pedals on three boards and rack.

music:
    whatever pay's me.

Likes: tone reliability, print's to media better then anything i own

Dislike's:
    I can't afford more at the moment (want's: RX-ES, KT45, need to play a delta 88)

VDG

17. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

Currently a MAZ Sr R head but I owned a 66 for a while. Play into a Top Hat 2X12 Red Fang/G12H30 @8z.

Fender Tele, Strat and a chambered Heatley Model T w/Barden 2 tones on the way.

VOX 847 Blekas modded. Sweetsound Mojo Vibe, Addrock Geranium Fuzz, Tim, D/13 Joyride, Rock&Lock QuickBoost, Fulltone Supa Trem, AD9

Music--
    Roots, Rock, Blues, Jazz...mixalotofem.

Likes;
    Great tone in most idioms, reliability, price, takes FX well.

Dislikes-
    Nothing against this amp...I love it a bunch.

18. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

Amp: Maz 38 into a 4x10 cabinet loaded with Weber ceramic magnet speakers

Guitars: 62' American vintage RI Strat with Suhr V60LP's, American Relic Tele w/ Johnny Smith mini hum in the neck--Strat middle pickup--Lil 59' in the bridge

Pedals:Fulltone Clyde-King of Tone-Direct Drive Super Sport-Dyna Red distortion-DD-3----DL-4----RC boost- EBS Dynaverb

Style of Music:Blues, Rock, Funk,

Likes about setup:Great amp..Very responsive..Very good design..

Dislikes about setup: Power chord doesn't disconnect, Reverb could be better..

19. nateco

nateco Member

Amp:Maz Sr Nr......Z 2x12"..with webers or a 4x12" with greenback RI.

Guitars:SG ...and soon a junior.

Pedals:right now......just using my '69 or cc2....everything else is staying home.

Style of Music:rock,punk rock,detroit-ish rock and roll stuff.

Likes about setup:it can do what ever i need..clean to dirt...clarity,warmth and cut .....etc......I just love it...the perfect amp for me..

Dislikes about setup:not much.

20. Jack Walker

Jack Walker Supporting Member

Amps: Z28 w/Zbest (Red Fang , Tonker), Super Z

Guitars: American Deluxe Strat, G & L Asat, Ibanez AS83

Pedals: Tim, M. I. Blue Boy, Boss (Japnese) CS-2 compressor,
    Maxon CS-9 Chorus, Guyatone MD-3 delay

Music: Country, Country Rock, R & B, standards, Classic rock, light jazz, etc.

Like about the amps: A muriad of tones that suit what I play.

Dislikes: I have to put the Zbest on the floor or it can get a little thin with the G & L. No problems with the Super Z.

Lately, I've been running both amps in stereo. This is without a doubt the best sound of all.