• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dr. Z vs. Reinhardt vs. Goodsell

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I'm really intrigued by Dr. Z amps. They seem to have this swagger, crunchy thing going on all their own that sounds nice. But, I think they are pretty damn loud and from what I can tell only the Maz Jr. has a Master Volume. My "rigs" are reduced to playing them low volume, clean, Master Volume or attenuator with a dirt pedal most of the time. Still, I'm getting some pretty sweet tones this way.
:dunno
I think my Valvetech Hayseed is the quintessential Vox amp for me -- I've owned a number of amps and this one is just working really well for that tone.
So, I'm considering moving most of my other gear to find a second killer amp. I already have the killer cab (Marshall 2061x cabinet loaded with a Hellatone 60 / Classic Lead 80). It looks amazing, sounds great, it's pretty light and easy to move (not that I'm going anywhere lol!).
I've run my Egnater Rebel through it (sounds SURPRISINGLY nice!), and currently I'm running my Ceriatone 2061x clone through it (STUNNING Marshall cleans, just too loud for breakup at home even with 10 watt setting).
So, what would work with that cab? Does the Reinhardt stuff come with a MV? Can they actually be bedroom amps? I had a Goodsell Super 7 combo that was super swampy and cool, but I would need something with a little smoother gain and bigger cleans - Super 17???
The Dr. Z stuff all sounds nice, but is it too close to the Hayseed?
Thoughts? I'm perusing the Emporium ad nauseum at this point.
:barf

Dave

I think most of the Reinhardt amps are available with the "scaled valve" feature. It's like Power Scaling and it works great.

jumpnblues

Just want to say you're off to a really good start with the Hayseed. Great amp. Well, first of all with Dr.Z anyway, you need to determine which model you're talking about. They don't all sound alike. The Reinhardt and Goodsell are also excellent, great sounding amps but I'm not as familiar with those as Dr.Zs as I've owned 5 different Dr.Zs. The MAZ 18 Jr., IMHO, is one of the best amps and best values ever in the history of uhh, ampology. But even with the master volume I'm not sure if it's quiet enough for a bedroom amp. Maybe a slightly louder bedroom amp. You might want to check out a Mini-Z. They sound great with the volume down low and are still capable of delivering the goods. Check out the youtube vid with Buddy Whittington playing through one. Killer tone. Of all the Dr.Zs I owned the MAZ 18 Jr. was the only one close to being a bedroom amp. Even the Carmen Ghia was a little too loud for a bedroom at break up volume. You could use a pedal or attenuator with about any amp. But attenuators don't usually sound good at bedroom volume. Like I said, I don't know if the Reinhardt or Goodsell have master volumes or how they sound at bedroom volume, but I LOVE the sound of that Reinhardt 18. Anyway, some things to think about.

Tom

Last edited:

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like you've talked yourself into the Z but I cannot stress how fine the tone is from a Goodsell 17. They achieve great, rich tones even at very low bedroom levels. With a tele or strat they are tough to beat. I have lot's of high dollar amps and have traded and sold many more. Occationally I get restless and have sold a Goodsell and each time I regret it and buy another. I'm on my 3rd one and this one isn't going anywhere.

shark_bite

I can tell you this... a few months ago I amassed a gigantic pile of money in my bank account and then went to American Guitar Boutique to burn it all on an amp. The plan was to get a Goodsell Custom 33, but they didn't have the one in stock that I had played in the past, just one Super 17. So I figured I would just get that instead, but I brought a Tele with me and asked if I could do sort of a final audition before buying the amp. They gave me a cord and a room all to myself and I took it back there and gave it a good flogging. Everything that I like about the Custom 33 seemed to be missing in the Super 17. I mean, it sounded really good, but it didn't have the headroom I was looking for and it sounded too midrangey for my taste. Granted, I was still thinking very Fender in terms of what I was looking for, but it didn't strike me as an amp I'd have a lot of use for, so I decided to see what else they had. Realized the Maz Jr was about the same wattage and even a little cheaper, so I brought one of those back into the room and A/B'd the two amps. I was playing between the two for probably a good half hour, and it became instantly clear to me that I'd probably never buy a Dr. Z. I love the sound a lot of people get out of those amps, but when I put it next to the Goodsell it sounded flat as a pancake. That reminded me of what I liked so much about the Custom 33 I guess - it was like a spot of technicolor in a sea of black and white next to any other amp. Unfortunately it still wasn't doing it for me and I couldn't see spending the money on something I probably wouldn't hang onto, especially given that it was new and I'd take a huge hit if I sold it. So I ended up leaving the store bewildered and emptyhanded that day. Then I got a D120F in my Deluxe and kind of had "that tone" figured out. I'd kind of like another crack at the Goodsell, because I think I've learned a lot about what to expect since then and the best way I could describe the S17 (this one was a Mk II with reverb, by the way) would be some strange cross between a tweed and a Vox. With the speaker in that amp it sounded more tweed, although my guess is that a 30W Blue Dog or maybe a Gold would have brought it more into chimey Vox-land.

I haven't played a Reinhardt, but I've heard a few really good recordings in some of jzucker's youtube gear demos. Then again, I suspect he could make most amps sound pretty good... so don't listen to him :)

farlowhigh

fwiw, I owned a Maz Jr NR combo for about a year and I played it in a large finished basement and found it really loud, noticeably louder than most any amp I have ever played. At levels I like to play at, the Maz was fine but not a standout for me...I occasionally turned it up to where it clearly wants to be and it sounded great but it was way too loud for me...it does take pedals very well and you can certainly find good tones on it but if you are finding the 10 watt setting on the Ceriatone too loud, then I am pretty sure you will find the Maz Jr to be way too loud for anything but cleans in the house.

The Reinhardt 18 is an incredible amp and for my tastes, it sounds better than the Maz Jr at any volume. and Reinhardt's power scaling is really effective...definitely an amp worth considering for your situation... nothing against the Z and it is clearly a well respected and versatile amp...just didn't stand out for me and I got tired of struggling with the volume. It did get much more manageable with an Airbrake but in the end, I decided I liked other stuff better and could sell the Airbrake that way (only amp I was using it for). Reinhardt 18 has great cleans and the overdrive is crisp and crunchy and sounds great to me.

Goodsell Super 7 is a very nice amp for chimey warm cleans and can get a little crunchy when turned up, although not all that much gain available and so maybe not the most versatile amp..but beautiful pure cleans and I am not going to sell mine any time soon.

hope that helps a bit,

Eric

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, great info guys. I'm pretty sure I've bought (or sold) something to everyone of you at some point or at least "talked shop" about low volume home playing...
If I wanted to make a move, this one would really have to be IT - at least for now. I have some nice gear and I would be moving a lot of it to pay off my gear debt (almost in full) and have some left over towards my second amp. I'm starting to lean towards the Reinhardt. As I play through my ceriatone I KNOW that Marshall-esque type amps can have some beautiful, sparkle-y, 3D cleans and really sweet organic OD. I've owned a Fargen Miniplex (Mark I), Suhr Badger 18 (let that go way too fast), Reeves 12 (let that go way too fast), Winfield (still surprised more people don't check these out, they are great), Ceriatone, etc....
I think the Reinhardt on top of this Marshall cab could possibly be the amp for this one (especially with the scaling). The Z's have some great amps, but I've been warned more than once that they almost all need to be cranked to give up the goods. I do have a Hot Plate, but I know what that can do to tone sometimes.
I'm on the edge with the Goodsell. I'm not sure that speaker combo (Hellatone 60 & Classic Lead) would fit -- well, as well as Scumbacks or Blues or something. But that's more cash, I don't think the Goodsell's have Master Volume's (in most cases) and no power scaling.
So many great amps, so little time (and money)
:Devil

shark_bite

Actually, the Goodsell does have a pseduo-MV. At least inasmuch as you get a volume knob and a gain knob. If you could somehow swing the Custom 33 you'd probably be pretty happy, but it's definitely harder to find an more expensive. Current ones come with power scaling. Come to think of it, Richard added power scaling to the Mk III of the Super 17 too - it should have a 5/17 switch now.

Wow, great info guys. I'm pretty sure I've bought (or sold) something to everyone of you at some point or at least "talked shop" about low volume home playing...
If I wanted to make a move, this one would really have to be IT - at least for now. I have some nice gear and I would be moving a lot of it to pay off my gear debt (almost in full) and have some left over towards my second amp. I'm starting to lean towards the Reinhardt. As I play through my ceriatone I KNOW that Marshall-esque type amps can have some beautiful, sparkle-y, 3D cleans and really sweet organic OD. I've owned a Fargen Miniplex (Mark I), Suhr Badger 18 (let that go way too fast), Reeves 12 (let that go way too fast), Winfield (still surprised more people don't check these out, they are great), Ceriatone, etc....
I think the Reinhardt on top of this Marshall cab could possibly be the amp for this one (especially with the scaling). The Z's have some great amps, but I've been warned more than once that they almost all need to be cranked to give up the goods. I do have a Hot Plate, but I know what that can do to tone sometimes.
I'm on the edge with the Goodsell. I'm not sure that speaker combo (Hellatone 60 & Classic Lead) would fit -- well, as well as Scumbacks or Blues or something. But that's more cash, I don't think the Goodsell's have Master Volume's (in most cases) and no power scaling.
Actually, every Goodsell ever made, except the single-ended 5s and 7s, have a PPI master volumes (the "good" kind); on some models it's labeled "volume" and others it is "master", but they are the same. The "gain" control is between the pre- and PI. Why every push-pull amp in the world does not have a PPI master is beyond me; it comes at absolutely no expense to tone, is a decent attenuator, and when turned up all the way it is as though it does not exist. "Master" volumes have a negative stigma sometimes because in history there were certain amps that used a different master topology that was associated with inferior tone compared with their non-master counterparts. This is absolutely not the case with post-phase inverter MVs...

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
I am not much of a low watt guy, but of the low watters that I have had, I was most impressed with the Goodsell. The VERY first thing that I thought when I fired it up was.... "yes, this guy KNOWS Hammond Organs!"

Phenominal amp with a beautiful, rich, complex clean that morphs beautifully in to sweet crunch.

voojo

Get the Reinhardt MI-6 with power scaling and be done with it! OK I haven't played one but that's an amp that interests me. Basically his 18 watt but with 6V6 tubes. That should give you enough variety instead of another amp with EL84s!

Actually, the Goodsell does have a pseduo-MV. At least inasmuch as you get a volume knob and a gain knob. If you could somehow swing the Custom 33 you'd probably be pretty happy, but it's definitely harder to find an more expensive. Current ones come with power scaling. Come to think of it, Richard added power scaling to the Mk III of the Super 17 too - it should have a 5/17 switch now.
Check your PM...

Plague Dog

Personally I put Dr Z in the same league as Budda and Rivera, which is right above Fender and Marshall.

Reinhardt in my opinion is worlds above anything by any of the above mentioned companies.

jumpnblues

Personally I put Dr Z in the same league as Budda and Rivera, which is right above Fender and Marshall.

Reinhardt in my opinion is worlds above anything by any of the above mentioned companies.

Pretty tough to argue against that. However, some of the new stuff Dr.Z has come out with is pretty incredible, i.e. the EZG-50, Remedy, Prescription ES, Galaxie, etc. But, yeah, that Reinhardt 18 is really something special.

Tom

joek86

Silver Supporting Member
I just saw this post! It's kind of funny, but I just emailed Bob to start the process for my 2nd Reinhardt 18 combo. I foolishly sold my first one and now want another. They are very sweet amps, it kind of bridges the gap between full on EL34 and 6L6 amps. Not that it sounds like either one, it can cover some of the territory that both own.

ed_dale007

Im really debating between a goodsell and a Maz I have no clue which one I am going to go with. The maz I can play at a local shop but the goodsell I would have to buy sight unseen.

shark_bite

Im really debating between a goodsell and a Maz I have no clue which one I am going to go with. The maz I can play at a local shop but the goodsell I would have to buy sight unseen.
Like I said above, the Goodsell wasn't exactly the amp I was looking for when I was looking at it, and that's the reason I didn't buy it. But, I did spend enough time with both amps that I can pretty much guarantee that while the Maz sound pretty good, it's not in the same league as the Goodsell.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I grabbed that Purple 1x12 S17 Mark II that was in the emporium (upgraded with a 5/17 watt switch and had the hammond iron in it). I'm pretty psyched, it should be a killer grab n go.
:BEER

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
I bought the Reeves 12 from you and thought it might have been the perfect low watt amp. That was until I bought a Reinhart 18. No PS on mine but the MV actually works. With a LoveKraft Mojo Drive, it can get into near metal sounds. I've also had the Titan and the Storm so you can see I'm a big fan of Reinhardt amps.

Heard great things about the Goodsell but I've never had the opportunity to play one. It's on my list.

Trending Topics