Dr Z Z28.....what to expect?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NickHolden, Jun 4, 2005.

1. NickHolden

NickHolden Guest

I've got a Z28 head and a Z 1-12 cab coming next week. The Cab has a greenback. I'm familiar with the Ghia and Maz jr, but have never played through a Z28. Something tells me its the amp for me. Will some of the Z owners share their thoughts and how the Z28 differs from the other two models I've mentioned? Thanks!

2. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

The 28's a fine example of Z's amp building expertise. I've owned or do own all the amps you note plus a few more.

It all comes down to personal taste, but here are my reasons:

-For what I do the power is right on. I can get the drive I want at reasonable volume IMO.

-Simplicity. 3 knobs. I've never been good at dialing in a bunch of knobs.

-A unique tone stack. I love the way the 2 eq knobs control gain.

-Nice & warm, but still has a top end sparkle...cut's through nicely I've been told. Very strong bottom for 22 watts!

-Like you I have a head so I can use various cabinets with a multitude of speakers. Presently using a Vintage 30, Cele Blue, and Z special 10's in the 410.

-The 28 loves pedals, not that I use many. It serves a great platform for my two boost pedals.

I think you'll be pleased. You may end up wanting to try another speaker, the Green is nice, but a GH12, Vintage 30, Governor, etc will showcase the bottom qualities of the amp better.

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Madison's right on.

I actually prefer the greenback though. It's got this sweet thing going on in the mids with the Z28. I use the Green when I want the natural amp overdrive. When I need it as a pedal platform, I use a G12H30 for better cleans.

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Very cool little amp. I was expecting Fender like, but not so. It has a tone that does not sound like any other amp. My fave Dr Z by far. :AOK

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've owned a Maz Jr and Z28 (not at the same time). I've never played a Ghia. The Z28 is a very cool amp indeed. It sounded a bit more "raw" compared to the Maz Jr which was more "refined", and there was something about the voicing of the Z28 that I prefered, too. All very subjective stuff.

Tha Maz Jr was a bit more versatile (full EQ section and cut control) and certainly a MV comes in real handy at times.

Both amps sucked up OD & Boost pedals like there was no tomorrow.

Good luck with your decision!!

6. NickHolden

NickHolden Guest

Z28 and Z cab arrived yesterday. Amp sounds great too. I'm not sure if I like the greenback though. Lacks a bit of the bottom end punch I'm used to hearing. But it has a nice tone that is growing on me. If I were to try a different speaker, what would beef up the low end nicely with a little added volume? Was thinking about the new Eminence line since the price is fairly reasonable. Thanks again for all the help!

Nick

7. big mike

Greenback can take some getting used to. Make sure you play with th EQ. Even in abnormal ways. It does as much at 8 or 9 oclock as it does for the tone at 3 or 4 oclock.

Different speaker....If you def. wanna go Eminence, the Private Jack would have some of that 'green' flavour with more volume and lows. I also liked a swamp thang with it.

Hands down best sounding speakers I've used with mine are the Scumback 75 hz H clones. More than Celestion in terms of $$ but worth every penny.

8. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

That's the great thing about a head/ cabinet. Keep the green loaded one, and check out adding another decent priced cabinet. Use them separate or together, the Avatar makes this easy with two taps on the back.

Mine has a Cele Blue (15watts) which is cutting it close with a 28, but sounds amazing! Very impressive bottom with this speaker thru the Z28[​IMG][/IMG]

9. PerryR

PerryR Member

For a little more headroom and clarity i would recomend the G12H30

enjoy!

10. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

yeah, that's my vote, too........the Z28 1x12 combo I had used a G12H and the amp sounded great......sounded much bigger/fuller than many other 1x12 combos I've played.

11. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

With my Z28 head, I run a 2x12 open back cab with Weber Alnico Blue Dogs. Really pleasing. But for a single 12, I've got to say I like the G12H30 best so far of the speakers I've tried.

I'm often tempted to get a Z28 1x12 with G12H and run that on top of the 2x12.

:)

12. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Anybody tried a Red Fang in the Z-28?

13. PerryR

PerryR Member

Ya, the H30 is not as sweet as the GB, but I really like it with the Z28. another speaker that i think sounds great in a bit more of a Fendery way was the reverend All-tone 12".

14. big mike

Man, you guys GOT to hear it with the scumback H. Holy crap! I had to kick Shades off my amp to get some play time!!!

But the H is a great way to go with it as well. I was speaking to the Eminence content specifically.

15. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

If you end up liking the basic greeny tone, but want bigger bottom and slightly more volume try the mojotone speaker Aiken uses.

16. NickHolden

NickHolden Guest

Did a lot of reading on the Eminence web page and decided on the C-Rex. Based on their tone reference I think the CR will fit the bill. Hope to have it next week and will post my opinion once I've tried it out. Thanks to all for their input and suggestions!

17. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

So how'd the c-rex work out?
    8.5 years later. ;)