Dragonfire pickups - anyone ever try these?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mike80, Jun 23, 2008.

1. mike80

mike80 Member

I just bought a pair of the zebra humbuckers for $25 new. I figured for that little dough, they would be worth experimenting with.

The verdict? Not bad IMO. I put them in the flying V I just finished up, and they actually sound pretty good. The cleans are decent, and the distortion tones are similar to a JB.

The neck pup is pretty warm, and has a nice tone also. I'm just wondering how long they will hold up.

2. mike80

mike80 Member

Really? Nobody?

Geez, I thought at least one other person here would have given them a try. I'm pretty impressed with them actually. For $25 a pair, they sound damn good.

3. FPFL

FPFL Member

Remember where you are! If you just tried $250 a piece pickups you'd get 30 replies. This is as far from a value forum as you're going to get.

I'm glad they are working out!

Pablo

4. mike80

mike80 Member

Yeah, I guess that's true. It's more about how much money is spent to get that tone, not so much about the tone itself.

5. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Never heard of them. Did you get them off the bay???

6. mike80

mike80 Member

Yeah, they came from fleabay. I was browsing for a pair of Duncans or similar and happened to stumble across these. I figured I might as well give them a shot, considering the price. If I didn't like them, they would go into my son's guitar since it needs pups, and he wouldn't care about how they sound.

Surprisingly I liked them. I didn't figure I would. The bridge is hot and pretty well balanced for my liking. The neck is okay, but it seems to lack the smoothness I was looking for. It has a good tone, but not what I was wanting, but I can live with it. Either way, for the dough they were a good deal IMO.

I'm about to buy another pair just for backups in case a pup goes bad in any of my other guitars.

7. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I have these in my Squier strat. They sound pretty darn good for the price, but the bridge bucker squeals like a pig stuck under a fence...dunno why.

8. MovieSausage

MovieSausage Member

How articulate are they? Especially the neck pickup?

9. custom53

custom53 Member

I have heard of them but never tried them out. I just bought a set of Z-Buckers from Guitarhead... Price wise about the same. I only heard a sound byte. I am putting them in a Les Paul that I am refinishing. Hope they sound good.

http://www.guitarheads.net/

10. MovieSausage

MovieSausage Member

From what I know, GFS and GuitarHeads and Dragonfire are all made by Artec, but of course the specs are different, depending on the company. When comparing the GuitarHeads Z-Buckers to the Dragonfire Screamers, the Z-Buckers's bridge isn't quite as hot, and the neck is a little hotter.

11. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I like the singles. I tried the bucker (dragon fire) and I really don't think it was potted. I replaced it with a JB-4.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  12. MovieSausage

MovieSausage Member

Other than having a lot of feedback, how did you like the tone of the humbucker? Do you mean you tried their Screamers, or their actual Bucker, considering they do have the Chrome Buckers, which are Alnico.

13. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Member

I guess I'm resurrecting an old thread.
    I bought two Duo Rail (stacked humbucker), put one in a Stew-Mac sunburst traditional ( S.S.S.) Strat body w/ a Squire neck and put it in the bridge slot. Sounds kind of like a cross between a Dimarzio Chopper and Seymour Duncan Cool Rail ( 11.98k ohms). The other went in the neck position of a (S.S.H.), Super Strat, sounded like Chopper with PAF humbucker tone. It has a hint of Strat bell like tone, picks up pinch harmonics like a mofo and very articulate(12.28k ohms).
    The Screamer was put in a Randy Rhoads guitar, to me it sounded like Seymour Duncan JB, Dimarzio Evolution with some Bill Lawrence XL-500 highs. (16.98k ohms)
    I got the Alnico 5 Gold covered Screamer and put it in a 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom in the bridge position, it was rated at 16.97k ohms. Good Heavy Metal tone but it cleans up great with a twist of the volume knob to get a Classic Rock tone.
    I was very surprised at the quality. These pick ups are as good as my Bare Knuckle, Dimarzio, Seymour Duncan or Bill Lawrence pick ups.

14. 80tiger

80tiger Gold Supporting Member

Which one for a epi jr humbucker?

15. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Member

If the guitar is too treble heavy get Crusader or if it is too bassy get a Screamer. If you decide to go for the Dragon Fires.