Drasp dl-4 vs. Keeley dl-4 mods

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pale Rider, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Shot in the dark post of the month-just wondering if anyone has ever had a chance to use or A/B these two modded units-

DRASP's mods & Pics
    ) I replace the spring actuators AND the board mounted tactile switches with brand new parts.

2) I replace the stock red LEDs with water-clear, super-bright parts in your choice of totally rad colors.

3) At your option, I replace 2x surface mount resistors to increase the output buffers gain & fix the volume drop some users experience.

4) I carefully remove the silver control labels and media blast the enclosure down to bare aluminum and powder coat it for a much more durable finish.

5) All jacks & pots are cleaned, beer, soda, cat piss, etc. is cleaned from the board, etc.

6) At your request, I can add an EXP pot to the battery compartment, build a break-out-EXP box or add a huge toggle to switch between banks of presets. Lots of other stuff is possible - if you've got an idea, bring it!

Pix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keeley's mods:
    [​IMG]
    Description
    This mod is for tone-purists only. It is a mod that can generally only be heard if you compare a stock unit or a have a very good feel for the usual volume output level or background RF noise. With our mods we will correct the volume problem so the level doesn't drop when you use the pedal. It will include over a dozen audio changes to improve the sound. Lastly, the RF noise will be reduced a noticeable amount. This is great for recording as you will not need to filter it out and can capture more high frequency as a result. The changes are relatively small and do not change the way the pedal operates but, they offer you the best in tone and lowest noise if that is where you are in your pursuit of the finest gear available.

This is our first "high-tech" mod work, we change many surface mount IC's to the hi-fi Burr Brown type, we change some SMT caps to "real" full sized meatl-film caps! Mods to fix volume problems that many listeners can hear as also included.

Any insight will be appreciated

2. drod2045

drod2045 Member

how much does drasp charge for their upgrades? Id say drasp (on paper and pix) has a very easy uphand. But I dont know of any users to report on the sound. keeley's is always highly regarded

3. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

I sent mine to drasp already...and will report when I get it back...here's a link the the pricing...it's toward the bottom on the first post...check out the new switches and paint jobs on the 3rd pg pretty cool stuff. looking forward to getting mine back! :banana

4. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

[​IMG]

This is the one Dan (drasp) did for me. It's incredible. He did a fantastic job, and I can't recommend him enough. :).

5. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Kevin-
    that thing is beautiful-
    does Mr. Rasp post here at all?
    have an email for his services?anyone have any special mods done?

6. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

I don't think so...he's over a hc but all that info is in the link I provided so just click and have fun...:thud

7. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

He also made mine actual true-bypass. PM'd you with his e-mail address. :AOK

8. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I actually own that black one Drasp did and recently sent it back to him to have him put in new industrial strength "moog" style switches--like on 'foogers, cusack & lovepedals, and its butter.

I'd never tell anybody to stray away from Keeley but Dan is doing some really great stuff, very happy to see his name and reputation getting around!

drasp mods ftw!

9. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

+1! Dan's work is great!

10. d_rasp

d_rasp Supporting Member

Hey, can I get in on the lovefest?! :crazyguy

Seriously though, thank you all SO much - I've got a huge grin on my face reading this stuff. . .

To be fair I'm not a builder & shouldn't be compared to Keeley. The only thing that's similar between his mods & the ones I'm doing is the output buffer mod or "volume drop mod". I think I'm using a different value though, not 100% sure. He is also replacing all the buffer components w/ HiFi parts & changing out some caps, I think - to be honest, I've never seen a Keeley modded DL4 so I'm just going on my understanding from the 'net.

What I'm doing started as just a personal project to fix some of the stuff that bugged me with my personal DL4. I got my first DL4 in trade & it had some bad/missing switches. After replacing them, I decided to fancy up mine w/ some powder coat + cool LEDs. Then came the big-@$$ EXP knob on the side, etc. I showed pix at HCFX & got a strong response from folks who wanted the same kind of things done to their DL4s. Bobby D put it best saying that this is for people who LOVE their DL4 or use it b/c they have no other choices! ;)

Anyhow, there are some misconceptions about what I'm doing, so I wanted to clear those up - initially I was only replacing the stock spring actuators & PCB mounted tactile switches with fresh parts (same as stock) but I've recently started using a MUCH nicer & totally different type of switch. The new switches are the same as Moog/Cusack/etc. & are a sealed momentary stomp switch designed for applications like this. I'm so happy with them that I'm no longer doing the stock replacements. I'll gladly point folks to the right parts who want to do their own, but I just can't stand behind the design - already had one fail after ~1mo back with the owner! No good. Kevin - yours is early enough that it has the old style stomps. When the first one glitches, let me know & we'll get it back in for the new stomps. Here is a pic:

[​IMG]

You'll also notice the DPDT stomp poking out next to the Line 6 logo - that's just a simple switch between a closed circuit & a 10k resistor - functions like the extreme positions (heel or toe) on an expression pedal & gives you access to the 2x presets for each saved (A, B, C) model. I actually prefer the 'big knob' mod, but this was done as per the customer's request.

Kevin also mentions making the unit 'truly true bypass' - this is for earlier models which had some filter caps before & after the switching relays. Whenever these caps are present, I remove them (free of charge). If you've ever griped about the bypassed signal on a DL4, there is a good chance you've got these 4x caps & would benefit from their removal.

I've had a few folks contact me asking about units for sale, etc. I've not had time to make any since I started the wait list ~1mo ago. I have no interest in holding folks pedals on my work bench so I've got a no-commitment wait list for anyone interested in having this stuff done. PM me for info.

Hmm,. . .thats all the rambling I've got for now, I'll watch this post for more questions. :D

11. d_rasp

d_rasp Supporting Member

Oh,. . .and another recent one w/ the new switches:

[​IMG]

12. TJL

TJL Member

I'm kind of wishing I had a DL-4 so I could get it modded by drasp...damnit...

13. garrettmhaynes

garrettmhaynes Member

Im getting a DL4 soon, if anything ever fails on it, I'll be sending it to drasp for the whole shebang.

14. Mincer

Mincer Member

Drasp, you are in St Pete, I am just north in Pasco- I had no idea there was someone doing work like this in the area. I have a DL4, and I love the idea of that giant feetknob on the side!

15. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

yeah i think the next thing i want is the big side-knob... its awesome. or he can do a belt-loop exp pot for ya. hahaha. i'd love to get one of those and freak out some kind of crowd who couldn't see what i was doing...

but since Dan explained what he does let me just reiterate one more time what a dramatic difference is between these switches and the old ones. they are so perfect and feel like you could drop boulders on them all day and they'd take it and ask for more. a dl-4 without the reliability issues? ahhhh yes... yes please :AOK

16. d_rasp

d_rasp Supporting Member

Hey! :D Always good to find another local. Do you know NewarkWilder yet? He's just down in Bradenton. We've actually been slowly working towards a FL get together for FX addicts - something involving loud music & beer maybe? Not sure if you're into that kind of thing. . .

17. d_rasp

d_rasp Supporting Member

Just FYI, I'm temporarily closing the wait list to send in your DL4 for mods. Its just gotten too long, I'm currently about 6-8 weeks out & want to get things back under control before opening it up again. Thank you all SO much for your enthusiasm & praise. :love:

18. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

time to quit the day job!

:D

ps- Hi Mincer! :BEER

19. Mincer

Mincer Member

Hey there Newark! Yeah, drasp, that would be a blast- I'd love to try turning that side knob with my foot and see how easy it is, either standing or sitting- I use my DL4 for solo shows, mapping the volume of the loop to an exp pedal, so yeah, it would be very useful if it worked for me. Also, I play in St Pete once in awhile too, so you could also say hi at a gig too!

20. d_rasp

d_rasp Supporting Member

You're more than welcome to, any time you're in St. Pete/Clearwater - just shoot me a PM. ;)