1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Dreadnoughts: Gallagher Doc Watson?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by celvira, Sep 21, 2008.

1. celvira

celvira Member

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a dreadnought guitar with mahogany back and sides, sitka top, ebony fingerboard and mahogany neck.

I've read Gallaghers Doc Watson regular have a very good quality/price rate.

Please, could you tell me any advice?

I'm looking for a guitar for a flatpicking/fingerpicking (I'm an electric guitar player) with a defined lows, not-crisp highs and dinamics (I would like to hear it at a low and high volume).
    I resign from aesthetics options.

I'm sorry for my level of english... and thank for your advices!

2. doublee

doublee Member

I am sure that is a nice guitar, but also look at Martin D18's in this order of preference:

D18 GE
    D18 V
    D18

They have less fancy trim so maybe you therefore get more value for your Euro?

3. celvira

celvira Member

Martins are fine but I prefer less common options.

Euro/dolar rate is great but unfortunately lots of sellers in Europe think 1 euro = 1 dolar and shops have got only a few guitars in stock (always the most expensive and known marks), so my choice is an american dreadnought from a US seller.

4. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I have a 89 Gallagher Doc Watson, Its a great guitar, Ive played other ones that had varying degrees of tone and playability. The Doc has a Wider fret board than a Martin D18, which is simlilar in construction. The Doc Watson neck was bassed on a Gibson Les Paul neck that Doc Watson loved, so its gonna be different the the average Martin.

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have been using a Gallagher G70 for my stage guitar since 1974. It has a great, even & woody tone. I got rid of a Martin D41 when I found this gem. Highly recommended!

6. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Doc recently had Dana Bourgeois build a guitar for him.

Also...anything Bill Collings makes is superb.

7. northernlake

northernlake Member

As a fellow European I've also bought from the US. I can advise My Favorite Guitars (www.myfavoriteguitars.com). The are a large Martin dealer but also stock Gallagher. Give them a ring and see. I have no personal experience with Gallaghers, but they look great.

8. Alaskaguitar

Alaskaguitar Member

9. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Doc's Bourgeois is Rosewood. I was working at Pantheon when they originally sent it out. Ricky Skaggs suggested it as a 80th birthday gift and said Doc liked really wide necks. We actually overshot the mark and ended it putting on a new neck, which apparently is more to Doc's liking.

The Country Boy is the mahogany model and comes standard with a Sitka top. Adirondack top is optional. Country Box Deluxe is adirondack and figured mahogany and a little fancier trim.

John

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I understand Doc's is rosewood....I was merely pointing out the fact that Dana did, indeed, build a guitar for him.

I'm a Bourgeois dealer and I know Dana, and especially Bonnie, well.

11. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Santa Cruz says a lot of things that, unfortunately, don't stand up too well under scrutiny.

Nice guitars....but a company with very questionable customer service....and I speak from personal experience....not innuendo.

12. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I think Doc owns or has recieved as gifts, just about one of everything.

13. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Tim:

You're at Morgan Music, aren't you? How are things progressing in the fire cleanup? I talked to Alvin pretty regularly when I was at Pantheon, and dropped him a quick e-mail after I heard about the fire. Hope you guys are getting things straightened out.

John

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

I am sorry to hear that about Santa Cruz. I have had nothing but good experiences with them, and I think their guitars are second to none.

15. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

+1 on Santa Cruz's. Love 'em. I have a Vintage Artist and it's got the mahogany, spruce, and big low end you are looking for.