Dreadnoughts: Gallagher Doc Watson?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by celvira, Sep 21, 2008.

1. celvira

celvira Member

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a dreadnought guitar with mahogany back and sides, sitka top, ebony fingerboard and mahogany neck.

I've read Gallaghers Doc Watson regular have a very good quality/price rate.

Please, could you tell me any advice?

I'm looking for a guitar for a flatpicking/fingerpicking (I'm an electric guitar player) with a defined lows, not-crisp highs and dinamics (I would like to hear it at a low and high volume).
    I resign from aesthetics options.

I'm sorry for my level of english... and thank for your advices!

2. doublee

doublee Member

I am sure that is a nice guitar, but also look at Martin D18's in this order of preference:

D18 GE
    D18 V
    D18

They have less fancy trim so maybe you therefore get more value for your Euro?

3. celvira

celvira Member

Martins are fine but I prefer less common options.

Euro/dolar rate is great but unfortunately lots of sellers in Europe think 1 euro = 1 dolar and shops have got only a few guitars in stock (always the most expensive and known marks), so my choice is an american dreadnought from a US seller.

4. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I have a 89 Gallagher Doc Watson, Its a great guitar, Ive played other ones that had varying degrees of tone and playability. The Doc has a Wider fret board than a Martin D18, which is simlilar in construction. The Doc Watson neck was bassed on a Gibson Les Paul neck that Doc Watson loved, so its gonna be different the the average Martin.

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

I have been using a Gallagher G70 for my stage guitar since 1974. It has a great, even & woody tone. I got rid of a Martin D41 when I found this gem. Highly recommended!

6. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Doc recently had Dana Bourgeois build a guitar for him.

Also...anything Bill Collings makes is superb.

7. northernlake

northernlake Member

As a fellow European I've also bought from the US. I can advise My Favorite Guitars (www.myfavoriteguitars.com). The are a large Martin dealer but also stock Gallagher. Give them a ring and see. I have no personal experience with Gallaghers, but they look great.

8. Alaskaguitar

Alaskaguitar Member

9. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Doc's Bourgeois is Rosewood. I was working at Pantheon when they originally sent it out. Ricky Skaggs suggested it as a 80th birthday gift and said Doc liked really wide necks. We actually overshot the mark and ended it putting on a new neck, which apparently is more to Doc's liking.

The Country Boy is the mahogany model and comes standard with a Sitka top. Adirondack top is optional. Country Box Deluxe is adirondack and figured mahogany and a little fancier trim.

John

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I understand Doc's is rosewood....I was merely pointing out the fact that Dana did, indeed, build a guitar for him.

I'm a Bourgeois dealer and I know Dana, and especially Bonnie, well.

11. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Santa Cruz says a lot of things that, unfortunately, don't stand up too well under scrutiny.

Nice guitars....but a company with very questionable customer service....and I speak from personal experience....not innuendo.

12. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I think Doc owns or has recieved as gifts, just about one of everything.

13. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Tim:

You're at Morgan Music, aren't you? How are things progressing in the fire cleanup? I talked to Alvin pretty regularly when I was at Pantheon, and dropped him a quick e-mail after I heard about the fire. Hope you guys are getting things straightened out.

John

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

I am sorry to hear that about Santa Cruz. I have had nothing but good experiences with them, and I think their guitars are second to none.

15. jpfeiff

jpfeiff Member

+1 on Santa Cruz's. Love 'em. I have a Vintage Artist and it's got the mahogany, spruce, and big low end you are looking for.