Dream amp no longer made and impossible to find used... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radiohead625, Feb 26, 2020.

1. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

I guess I don't hear it... I have a feeling that maybe what you're describing is actually due to the reverb or echo that is featured in that video. The comments in a lot of their videos mention a DMM. Does sound great, though!

I don't think the Z1 deviates all that much from a vintage 1624 circuit, but I could be wrong about that.

2. RMosack

RMosack Supporting Member

There was a company called Sundrago at last year's NAMM showing some special limited run amp supposed to be exactly like the modded Supro that Jimmy Page played? I think they may have been in some other company's booth. Throbak? Hiwatt? Can't remember.

Well, those amps were limited run and very pricey. But I read somewhere that they were going to do a cheaper, normal production model. If so, that should be in the OP's ballpark.

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

As for the supro 1624t circuit, you guys need to recognize that there's more than one. The earlier circuit featured 6v6 tubes and eventually 6973, but more importantly there was only one tone control. The later circuit is quite different. There is a second tone control for the second channel, this was the DualTone version of the 1624 circuit. The earlier circuit produced more overdrive. The Magic amps Z1 was based on the dual tone. The ValClones were based on the earlier circuit and I believe the Dirty Girl was as well.

4. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

5. JPH118

JPH118 Member

this, 100%. I started to type it last night but wasn’t positive which circuit the Magic was based on, since it seems they had versions for both tube types (which are not easily interchangeable). If you like the gain and sag, it might actually be the earlier 6v6 Supro, not the later Dual tone, but I’m just guessing honestly.

6. Leonc

7. Leonc

Okay just looked it up; the first black one was made in 2013 and the last one was sold in 2015 so that one is a minimum of 5 years old. Point being, if you buy that one, you're not getting a one-year-old amp.

RAG7890, mlj_gear and Muzzy like this.
  8. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Thanks Leon. So the Z1 was based on the later circuit which had less gain on tap. So, do you think they're using a pedal on that video to get the amp that overdriven or do you think they just designed the amp to have more gain than the original?

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Silver Supporting Member

Another vote for TopHat amps. Brian is a cool dude and he makes some of the best sounding amps on the planet.

Bigsby likes this.
  10. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

What about something like a Cutthroat Audio Down Brownie?

In Absentia likes this.
  11. fradubio

fradubio Member

I love my Goodsell Valpreaux. I’m not sure he’s taking new orders right now, but it is a great amp!

12. Leonc

I have a Z2V and it doesn't really get that over driven. But the Z1 might...I don't really remember. But I'm sure that if pedals were being used, Mike would have indicated that in the video. I wouldn't underestimate the impact of the speaker choice.

But for what it's worth, the vintage 1624 dual tones that I've owned and ayed through didn't get that overdriven, in my recollection.