Dream amp ordered! Amplified Nation Dumble/Two Rock-ish custom built 100 watter!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stratoben127, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

I accidentally deleted my original thread on this so here goes another since I'm so excited.

I finally pulled the trigger on my dream amp this past weekend. I should have it in time for some big dates I'm playing in April. I've always loved some classic cranked Fender sounds like those from Derek Trucks, Jerry Garcia (with Gibsons '67-'70), Duane Allman in the studio, and Mike Bloomfield, but every time I get a Blackface Fender I love the tone but am left wanting a little more of everything; drive, fullness, headroom, compression... So it didn't take me long to realize that I was about to enter the Dumble rabbit hole when I admitted to myself that my "holy grail" 1966 Super Reverb just wasn't giving me what I needed no matter how much I wanted it to without serious mods.

Luckily I found Amplified Nation pretty quickly into my search for the right builder by searching "Dumble" on Reverb and seeing their Big Bloom pedal and visiting their website. Not only were the prices amazing compared to most competitors but they were open to custom work both electronically and cosmetically and most importantly I saw nothing but stellar reviews. No crazy wait times, no stealing money, no amp damage. Just 100% positive customer service anecdotes which is important to me going into my first high dollar boutique build.

So I went in with a very particular request tone-wise, but almost no knowledge of what exactly I was looking for. I wanted a single channel amp that supplies fat, smooth driven tones reminiscent of an ODS but with a less gritty, fuzzy sound and more headroom. More of a "clean drive" that works well for slide playing and stays bright with humbuckers. My reference tones for this were Dickey Betts, earlier Derek Trucks ("Joyful Noise"), Lowell George, and Jerry Garcia on Live Dead. Taylor at AN responded very quickly with a few suggestions. Eventually we settled on a tweaked version of his John Mayer Two Rock Signature clone he calls the Wonderland. The original amp is based on a Steel String Singer but has some more Blackface-esque elements to the sound but still stays crystal clean for the most part, so Taylor is building me a dirty version of that amp with a few extra features. Here's the specs:

-100 watts with 6L6s and a half power switch.
    -"Dirty Mayor" circuit with 3-way negative feedback switch to choose when it breaks up and how soft it feels.
    -Preamp boost (partial tone stack removal)
    -SSS style reverb
    -Brown suede covering with 70s SSS style faceplate, aluminum trim, vox grill and matching 4x10 cab that I am putting vintage Celestion G10S-50s in.

One last cool feature is that since the amp will be a significant departure from the "Wonderland" sound, I renamed it "Winterland" as a tribute to Bill Graham's venue that hosted the ABB and Grateful Dead many times, and the original Dumble bass amp.

I'm SO excited for this amp and can't wait to see it come together. Here's a picture of his "Steel String Sultan" model (a stripped down 100 watt SSS) that my amp will look almost identical to, cosmetically.
    [​IMG]

2. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

3. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Great looking amp...congrats!

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Officially envious, Ben. That thing looks amazing!

5. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

Awesome! What's the build time?

6. Aoresteen

Aoresteen Member

7. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Should be done before I play Wanee Festival on April 15th. Hoping I'll get it in about a month.

$2500 for the head, around $3k with the unloaded 4x10 I haven't ordered yet.

8. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

Congrats! Hopefully, it gives you the amount of gain that you need. I have a Welagen Overdrive Reverb 100w w/EL34s and a beefed-up overdrive channel that will be delivered from Jelle tomorrow...should get it early next week! I like your playing and band Ben, if you are ever up around central Florida shoot me a PM. We could have a mini Dumble-fest lol.

9. MHG

MHG Member

Congrats!!! You're going to love it. I'm awaiting my "Dirty Wonderland" 100w as well. I have no doubt that it will be a phenomenal amp, as I already have the Hooligan and Prime Minister...........and they're absolutely amazing!

10. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

First thing I did was read that as a Dirty Sanchez circuit. I bet that is really dirty! ;)

Seriously though, that looks to be a great build. Amplified Nation appears to do great work for much more reasonable prices than many of the others and also doesn't have some of the build issues that others have. Enjoy! :aok

11. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Yowza! CONGRADULATIONS!

12. Slevin

Slevin Member

Wow this thing is gorgeous. I'd be very jealous seeing someone rock this at a show. I'd be that guy asking you what it is/who makes it/how you got it while you're trying to plug in

13. ROKY

ROKY Member

Nice, Ben ! I hope it ends up being the perfect amp for your playing style .

14. MHG

MHG Member

Did you receive your amp yet? I got mine, and couldn't be happier. Which speakers are you planning on loading into that 4x10? I'd love to try a 4x10 WGS ET10's. They're a 10" version of the G1265. I would imagine these speakers will become the go to speaker for 10" speakers for D-style amps.

15. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Member

Yeah I got it and I LOVE it. I used it at full blast at Wanee festival last weekend and it killed.

I actually decided on a 2x12. I'm using an original Hard Truckers closed back 2x12 with JBL K120s.

16. BarryW

BarryW Supporting Member

Taylor is a superb builder and a really nice guy. He's been a great help to me in discussing build ideas, and I have nothing but great respect for his skill.

Oh, and Ben - your set at Wanee as absolutely off the f*cking charts. Loved it !

17. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Congrats!! I'm sure it will sound killer. Just gotta ask though...where the heck do you play a 100w amp? I have a hard time playing my 50w Fuchs at a lot of clubs. Just curious.

Budman

18. MHG

MHG Member

I had a Fuchs 50 watter, and it needed to be super loud to get it into the sweet spot. Too loud for me. Not the case with these amps. They sound great at very reasonable volumes. You just can't replicate the tone and feel of 100 watts in a lower wattage amp.......even for low volume use. And this amp takes pedals probably better than any amp I've tried.

19. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Thanks!

20. Harry Joyce USA

Harry Joyce USA Member