• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Dream guitar (but depressed due to an issue)

Ryno1331

Silver Supporting Member
A few months back I got a PRS custom 24 10 top for our 15th anniversary. I've been through a few guitars and none has truly spoke to me like this. It's like guitars with wide thin necks, 24 frets and these pickup options were made for me. It's beautiful.

But, there's a major issue. When I got it I noticed just a tiny bit of static on the neck when I played but ignored it. Now that winter is basically here in the north the static noise when playing is horrible. If I run a humidifier above 40 I'm ok but that's not possible everywhere I play or go.

I had this problem years ago with a Les Paul standard but not this bad. When I looked into solutions then I don't remember there being any viable ones (drier sheets work for about 10 minutes). I've reached out to PRS to see if they have a miraculous fix but have to make some videos to send to them. Hoping maybe someone out there reads this and has figured out a way to conquer this. And for the record, I have about 20 guitars and basses in this room and it's the only instrument with the issue.

Yamaha 350

A few months back I got a PRS custom 24 10 top for our 15th anniversary. I've been through a few guitars and none has truly spoke to me like this. It's like guitars with wide thin necks, 24 frets and these pickup options were made for me. It's beautiful.

But, there's a major issue. When I got it I noticed just a tiny bit of static on the neck when I played but ignored it. Now that winter is basically here in the north the static noise when playing is horrible. If I run a humidifier above 40 I'm ok but that's not possible everywhere I play or go.

I had this problem years ago with a Les Paul standard but not this bad. When I looked into solutions then I don't remember there being any viable ones (drier sheets work for about 10 minutes). I've reached out to PRS to see if they have a miraculous fix but have to make some videos to send to them. Hoping maybe someone out there reads this and has figured out a way to conquer this. And for the record, I have about 20 guitars and basses in this room and it's the only instrument with the issue.
Wow what could be causing that?

GraceToo

That sucks. I returned a used Gibson earlier this year for the same issue. It’s likely part of the nitro application process, based on everything I’ve ever read about the issue. It supposedly goes away on its own as the nitro cures more and the finish gets worn in. Doesn’t happen on poly guitars, except over large bits of plastic, like pickguards.

GraceToo

I should add, in a thread I posted a while back, one poster reported having some success with anti-static polish: https://cosmomusic.ca/products/fender-custom-shop-guitar-quick-clean-2oz

Might be worth trying if dryer sheets didn’t help. Dryer sheets didn’t work for the Explorer I returned either. A more invasive solution that other people had success with involved shielding all the control cavities and ensuring the shield was properly grounded.

P.S. Also, prepare yourself for lots of people telling you that this problem can’t possibly exist, or that it’s something you’re wearing/the cable you’re using/the floor you’re playing on and NOT the guitar itself. :rotflmao

Last edited:

twoheadedboy

This is definitely an issue worth resolving, but are you honestly saying that this is making you depressed? If so, I think a shift in your thinking and perspective is in order.

Last edited:

Miketheslav

Gold Supporting Member
That sucks. I returned a used Gibson earlier this year for the same issue. It’s likely part of the nitro application process, based on everything I’ve ever read about the issue. It supposedly goes away on its own as the nitro cures more and the finish gets worn in. Doesn’t happen on poly guitars, except over large bits of plastic, like pickguards.
Isnt the Custom 24 poly?

zeffbeff

Weird stuff happens with guitars, sometimes.

I had an awesome Les Paul Special, but it would do this weird creaking cracking noise when lifting it in a certain way.

I took it to several shops, all of whom told me I was insane, because they couldn't reproduce the creak. But soon as I got home, the creak was back.

Maybe just move it along.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
I had that problem with a Gibson a few years back. It ended up being a shielding problem. I put shielding tape in the control and switch cavity and it disappeared. I almost returned the guitar it was so bad. I think it has something to do with the painting process. Don’t use dryer sheets. It just makes a mess.

GraceToo

I can't imagine this being enough to make me depressed. Your life must be amazing.

Don’t underestimate how disappointing it is for your dream guitar to be marred by this problem. Guitars with this amount of static (especially on the neck) can’t be used reliably for recording and are generally unpleasant to play. It’s even worse if it’s an otherwise perfect guitar that feels great in your hands.

Isnt the Custom 24 poly?

This one’s nitro. https://wildwireguitars.com/prs-cus...-with-pattern-thin-neck-85-15-pickups-237384/

Ryno1331

Silver Supporting Member
This is definitely an issue worth resolving, but are you honestly saying that this is making you depressed? If so, I think a shift in your thinking and perspective is in order.
Not at all, it's figurative. I won't jump off a bridge due to a noisy guitar ;)

twoheadedboy

I just googled this. People have had some luck with rubbing their guitar down with dryer sheets, and/or stuffing their control cavities with dryer sheets.

Are you playing in a carpeted room with socks on? If so, I think that could cause a buildup of static electricity. Maybe try different flooring and/or footwear and see if that helps.

GraceToo

I just googled this. People have had some luck with rubbing their guitar down with dryer sheets, and/or stuffing their control cavities with dryer sheets.

Are you playing in a carpeted room with socks on? If so, I think that could cause a buildup of static electricity. Maybe try different flooring and/or footwear and see if that helps.

This problem has nothing to do with footwear, clothing, or flooring. Trust me on this, along with everyone else who has ever dealt with static on the neck of a guitar. I experienced the exact same thing while playing barefoot on hardwood floors in 100% cotton clothing. The problem is related to the guitar itself. As the OP pointed out, his other guitars stored in the same room do not have this problem. The OP also mentioned that dryer sheets did not work.

B-Harvs

I'm also really curious. Do you mean litterally the guitar is giving you a static shock as you play it? Or by static do you mean an unwanted overtone such as warble, pickup hum, over ring, etc? I've never actually heard of someone actually say they've been shocked by a guitar only ever in passing "i know a guy who-"

slide13

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve had this but only on guitars with pickguards and it only happened as my fingers were moving on the plastic guard. Is it when you touch any certain part or area specifically?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom