Votes: 68 88.3%
  • Mangini

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters

mabinogeon

A really hoopy frood.
Silver Supporting Member
That's a tough one.

Portnoy was more than half the band back in the day. He was the voice and personality of the band.

But Mangini is an awesome drummer and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Don't want to hate on him - it wasn't his fault Portnoy left.

Imem

Went with Portnoy for Dream Theater, I think Mangini is a great drummer but haven't really cared much for his work in Dream Theater. Thought he was great on Extreme's Waiting for the Punchline and frankly feel he is a bit wasted in DT. Obviously a great gig for him but feel like he plays too technical and with less groove and feel than he is capable of.

Beto

Supporting Member
I appreciate DT intensely along a few years and then take a loooong break.

Currently I'm in one of those breaks, which started around MP's departure. Because of that, I can't comment about DT's music with MM.

I love a lot of songs and albums that wouldn't be the same - or even have come to exist - without MP.

OTOH, his increasing trend towards cookie-monster-vocals type of music was going too far in the last albums with him (I assume he was the one - or at least the main person - pushing this tendency based on him coming to sing more and more in each new album). But I have to remark - in spite of loving his playing - that Petrucci's inclination to follow this path also contributed to the current break.

mikebat

Mangini is a hell of musician, simply incredibly. But they had magic when Portnoy was in the band.

I liked Minneman, but....he just did not fit. Same with Lang, that guy has a crushing groove, but they don't need that, they need a super computer of drums, and they picked the right guy.

Doomrider78

Mangini is a hell of musician, simply incredibly. But they had magic when Portnoy was in the band.

I liked Minneman, but....he just did not fit. Same with Lang, that guy has a crushing groove, but they don't need that, they need a super computer of drums, and they picked the right guy.
I disagree: MMin fitted very well, but I suspect they'd already made up their mind to go with Mangini by then.

For me: Portnoy, all the way. Having said that, the new album is great.

DrewH

Portnoy is an example of how important a drummer is to both the song and the process of writing it. Dream Theater never takes off without Portnoy. His drumming on Images and Words + Awake was brilliant from both a creative and technical standpoint.

Mangini is a fine studio type drummer but he has no originality or soul. He's just very technically bland.

Trending Topics