Dream Theater- Portnoy or Mangini

Portnoy or Mangini

• Portnoy

Votes: 68 88.3%
  • Mangini

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters

twoheadedboy

Portnoy during the early years. Mangini for the current version of DT. I think Portnoy and the rest of the band grew apart over the years, and it was good that they went their separate ways. It took the band a couple of albums to find their way with Mangini, but I think they have found it now. Their latest record, Distance over Time, is really good.

Last edited:

ethomas1013

Supporting Member
Not even close. Portnoy. Although I do enjoy Mangini’s drumming on the latest CD.

Blix nailed it.

I don't like MM much. He's crazy good, but he just sounds like a freaking robot.
There soooo much more heart and passion in Portnoy's drumming to my ears.

gtr777

Supporting Member
Being from Long Island I've seen the band from the beginning, I was in college classes with Portnoy, bought strings off Myung when he worked behind the counter at Focus II guitar, even went to a rehearsal in a store basement when they were Majesty. Portnoy was just the heart and soul of the band. Ridiculous that he's not playing with them. MM is great, no knock to him but Portnoy is the one that should be behind the drums.

Lax

Wow wow wow, now this is some topic that can go black friday wrong if people get emotional :D

I voted mangini, but I have to explain why.

First of all, I discovered the band in 1999 and have been crazy fan of mike portnoy's drumming until after six degrees of inner turbulences.
There was some magic in his grooves and the way he used toms and cymbals to make the drumset sing.
After that I've been torn between big yes and no, some songs were masterpieces and others were less magical to me.
No matter if it was because of me getting used to it or him being less inspired.
Just see how the glass prison was liked compared to the other parts of the song later.

Even if my favs are six degrees and scenes, I really enjoyed a dramatic turn, and I LOVE distance over time, even if it's not flawless.

So, nowadays I'm happy mangini is here, because my favorite band continues and is still inspired.

This wasn't an overall career comparison but one for today right now :)

clothwiring

No vote, but my understanding is that Mangini's parts are pretty much written so I don't believe he gets wiggle room. Portnoy was one of the writers so he had options.

I'll take Virgil Donati over all of them any day...but also prayed that he didn't get hired (and note that they are all great in their own right). Look at the body of work he's produced not being in DT. Looking forward to Donati's upcoming album.

Blix

Supporting Member
No vote, but my understanding is that Mangini's parts are pretty much written so I don't believe he gets wiggle room. Portnoy was one of the writers so he had options.

I'll take Virgil Donati over all of them any day...but also prayed that he didn't get hired (and note that they are all great in their own right). Look at the body of work he's produced not being in DT. Looking forward to Donati's upcoming album.
I still haven't forgiven Donati for doing his best at ruining the Allan Holdsworth gig I watched a few years ago. :waiting

clothwiring

I still haven't forgiven Donati for doing his best at ruining the Allan Holdsworth gig I watched a few years ago. :waiting
I saw them in 2012 or 2013 at a small club in upstate NY and thought they killed it. I can understand where you're coming from though.

Trending Topics