Dream Theater- Portnoy or Mangini

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Jul 10, 2019.

Portnoy or Mangini

1. Portnoy

61 vote(s)
    88.4%
  2. Mangini

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

I dig Donati, he's insane, but with AH it was a bit too much :p

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

I assumed something to that affect. :)

Blix likes this.
  3. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I kinda agree. I loved them through Scenes which I think was the pinnacle imo. After that, everything started to sound repetitive. I feel like Jordan Rudess ruined the band. Yeah he's a prodigy, but its too clinical and he overplays on everything. I'll take Kevin Moore or Derek Sherinian all day long. Mangini is a great drummer and I enjoy Mike's outside projects a great deal. None of the past several albums have grabbed me like the early stuff, but the latest has some promising songs.

Josh

4. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Name the best song that represents each drummer and what they brought to the band:

1) Portnoy’s best DT song
    2) Mangini’s best DT song

I don’t know; that’s why I’m asking TGP...

5. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

I loved Mangini's drumming on Extreme's Waiting For the Punchline and I loved seeing him live playing with Steve Vai (I don't think he recorded anything with Vai though). He's a truly incredible drummer. That being said, Portnoy was an integral part of the DT overall sound and Awake is still my favorite DT album ever followed by Six Degrees... and Scenes From A Memory.

6. Alpione

Alpione Supporting Member

Was big into DT in my 20s but haven't listened to anything new from them since even before Portnoy left. But back then he was DT - he made them actually change setlists each night, did all of the bootleg series (against the will of some of his mates), did most of the PR. And, of course, fantastic drummer.

Benz2112 likes this.
  7. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Both are incredible drummers, and Mangini can cover any Portnoy part perfectly, but I voted for Portnoy. Others have stated this, but Portnoy was a lot more than 1/5th of the band, and the drummer, he was the public face of the band. There is a reason why he has been on a lot of podcasts and shows, he is a very gregarious and interesting guy. I met him once, and he genuinely made me feel like an old buddy from the neighborhood, which must be difficult when you have a ton of fans. He's a great song arranger, he pushed the band to never do the same setlist on a tour (which they stopped doing), he did a majority of the work on special DVD and CD releases, which were more passion projects than money makers, he just gave a lot to the fans.

I have really drifted from my DT fandom, the last few records have had rather lackluster songwriting, and I have not felt the itch to see them live, despite always going multiple times when they toured in the past. However, MP's work with Winery Dogs and Flying Colors has been some of my favorite music of the last 5 years. He continues to put together awesome groups of musicians, and releasing music that spans multiple sub-genres.

8. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

It’s not as simple as that. What Portnoy brought to DT goes way beyond drumming (although I do prefer Portnoy’s drumming between the two). It extends to the writing, arranging, vision, and direction. Portnoy is much more than just a drummer and watching “making of” DVDs from his other bands (Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Neal Morse - all of which I prefer to DT) shows how much input he has on the writing and arranging.

If you are just going to compare the drumming from one song to another, both are fantastic and you cold make a case for choosing either one as the “better” drummer.

As others have said, Portnoy was the heart and soul of DT.

mikeratan00 likes this.
  9. martyman

martyman Member

I've been a DT fan, have all the records and seen them multiple times. Also saw Liquid Tension Experiment and JP with Big Three. Portnoy was the only rock and roll element in that band. There was a bit of wackiness and a bit of danger when he was around. I'm actually glad he moved on because his creative output in Adrenaline Mob, Sons of Apollo, Winery Dogs...makes me happy. No diss to Mangini; the guy's an animal behind the kit but I think things are a bit more mechanical in a band that veers that way anyway.

10. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I don't have a vote or rooting interest, but I thought their audition process was cool. I really wanted Marco to get it. In the end, I'd vote for any drummer that could get them to just record some basic 4 minute rock songs and not over-complicate everything with drawn out intros, time signature changes, mood swings, etc...I have the latest album and it came close, but still way too busy for me.

11. Gclef

Gclef Member

Oh boy! A dream theater thread!! Sorta.

him and Danny Carey are my faves.
    Marco plays with the enthusiasm and joy of a 13 year old and the skills of a God.

Didnt know myung worked at focus 2. Cool.
    I used to see them at a club in long beach. It was weird seeing a band with a major label release in such a small place.

Couldn't say it better

I LOVED this band back in the day. Now? Not as much.

Labrie: never really cared for him. I also have a thing against singers that dont write lyrics.

Rudess: I call him an electronic masterbater. Moore first (I have a soft spot for the original), then sherinian (I like his approach. His other work is good too. It pops up on my pandora stations occasionally), then rudess.

Petrucci: monster, monster, monster player. I actually think his skills are better shown when he plays covers. Simply amazing.
    I would go as far as saying dream theater is my favorite cover band.

Portnoy: I always thought his snare and cymbal sounds were very sterile. I got the feeling he thought he was the leader of the band. They should go on hiatus because he wants to do different things? Ok. Right.
    He was an integral component of the song writing though. Ever notice that petrucci's riffs follow closely with the drum patterns at times?

Mangini: I agree with the creativity thing. He is more of a technician. Is he still the worlds fastest drummer?

It is not really fair to choose, since I am very fond on the early stuff.
    I even like falling into infinity. Even though they were pressured to do it and hated it, it proved they could write really good songs that fit the mainstream format/structure.

teleman1 and bobotwt like this.
  12. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Also I give bonus points for Mangini because his presence, or the lack of Portnoy's is what brought Myung back to writing and Breaking all Illusions is up there with Learning to Live in my top 5 favorite DT songs.

Negative points for Portnoy for this snare.

13. Bogner

Bogner Member

Portnoy...it isn't even close.

14. reo73

reo73 Member

As of this moment I tend to like Portnoy better, though I really don't have anything against Mangini. I just think Portnoy grooves better. After the Black Clouds album and Portnoy left I wasn't too upset because I didn't really love the recent outputs and was interested to see what would happen with Petrucci taking over the reigns, but now looking back on their entire catalog after 4 albums with Mangini I can say I prefer the earlier Portnoy stuff to anything else.

inquintessence likes this.
  15. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

The new album is the best piece of work they've released in a very long time.

I miss Portnoy with DT up through 6 degrees. After that things got stale. The new album is not stale, and has some of the best material they've ever put out.

I do miss the earlier Portnoy vibes, but if they've gotten to a point with MM that allows for records like DoT, and Portnoy is putting out awesome stuff with Son's of Apollo and Winery Dogs, I'm cool with it all.

16. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

If Dream Theater played basic 4 minute songs, they wouldn't be Dream Theater and nobody would care about them.

inquintessence likes this.
  17. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Yeah. I get what your saying. Just stating my opinion. I’ve got the latest album. I think it has some great moments, but feel like they don’t leave a good groove alone. Always trying to expand it beyond what works for me. That’s all.

18. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

I like Portnoy more, as a musician. As a band mate, I’ll take Mangini.

Portnoy basically tried to talk the other guys into semi retirement. They said no, he freaked out and quit. And then wanted back. Who needs that?

19. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I voted for Portnoy based primarily on seeing the band live before and after his departure. Portnoy commanded the stage from his drum throne: an impressive task for someone who's not a singer and doubly so for a guy sitting behind a ginormous drum set. Mangini is a more-than-proficient drummer but in a live setting he's just another skilled musician.
    I definitely get the band's perspective on the situation but as a fan would've liked it if they could've worked things out. :dunno