Dream Theater- Portnoy or Mangini

Portnoy or Mangini

• Portnoy

Votes: 68 88.3%
  • Mangini

Votes: 9 11.7%

• Total voters

LTE

I like Portnoy more, as a musician. As a band mate, I’ll take Mangini.

Portnoy basically tried to talk the other guys into semi retirement. They said no, he freaked out and quit. And then wanted back. Who needs that?
That's not what I read. The band had toured a lot and Portnoy wanted to take an extended break, 6 months to a year, then return to record a new record. The band didn't want to do that, they wanted to go in a record another record immediately.

Portnoy was voted out by the band, the band found another drummer and Portnoy asked to come back, which was declined because MM had already quit his teaching job, thus the wheels were in place for him to be the new drummer.

eigentone

Silver Supporting Member
Dream Theater is a band I never really got into. Both drummers are monsters, but Portnoy was my favorite part of Dream Theater. Mangini has the advantage of joining at an older age, and during an age of higher technical accuracy; and I consider Mangini's timing is tighter and in general he seems the more disciplined and technical of the two. Both put a lot into it when they play. But I just liked Portnoy's heart and swagger -- things I as a casual observer consider Dream Theater lacked in. If I was really into the technical side of Dream Theater, I could see myself voting for Mangini.

kcprogguitar

That's not what I read. The band had toured a lot and Portnoy wanted to take an extended break, 6 months to a year, then return to record a new record. The band didn't want to do that, they wanted to go in a record another record immediately.

Portnoy was voted out by the band, the band found another drummer and Portnoy asked to come back, which was declined because MM had already quit his teaching job, thus the wheels were in place for him to be the new drummer.
Maybe. I read that as “ I’ve got plans to go play with others. What? You thought we were continuing. I guess you’ll be without an income for a year.”

If what you say is true, I’d vote him out too. He obviously didn’t have time for DT anymore. Transatlantic, Sons of Apollo, River Dogs, Neal Morse, Flying Colors...cmon man.

Reactions: LTE

naveed211

Portnoy essentially IS dream theater.

Guitar geeks will necessarily give JP all the credit, but Portnoy had a huge hand in steering that ship.

Mangini was by far the best fit to replace Portnoy and he’s a phenomenal drummer, but again, it’s gotta be Portnoy.

Cymbaline

I prefer the band overall when Portnoy was there. Not sure how much of that is due to him leaving and Mangini coming in, or just a general directional shift in the band. I didn't care for "The Astonishing" at all, haven't even listened to it all the way through more than once. Mangini's drums sound more robotic than Portnoy's too; Portnoy has a more organic feel.

I will say this, though: This one song kicks more *ss than ANYTHING Dream Theater has done since Mike left.

twoheadedboy

That album and their first are great and they're recording a new one I believe.
I'm not sure how I missed this band. I guess I wasn't digging some of Portnoy's other projects, so I didn't bother to see everything he was doing. Anyway, Flying Colors sounds great, and I'm going to check out everything they've done so far. Thanks for posting them here.

Trending Topics