Dress for Success.

Should Rock Bands Dress in Un Common Clothes?

• Of Course - the more style the better.

Votes: 126 49.8%
  • Theater is Theater - Music is Music.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I saw My Kitty eating his Cat Poo

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • What kind of sissy little monkey are you?

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • Here we go again....

Votes: 64 25.3%
  • The Obligatory 6th slot

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • One day at Band Camp.....

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters

Papanate

You know - this whole 'come as you are' bullcrap is really stupid. Even though I dislike Slipknot as much as is possible - there's no mistaking their same ol same ol music for someone else when they are on stage.

Frankly I miss the late 60s Edwardian English Style. I don't like the Eagles dress - I don't like anyones dress who look like my neighbors.

Yeah Yeah.....what say you little cookies?

specialidiot

most likely to seceede
Gold Supporting Member
Not a fan of the "themed" getups that started with Kiss and continues with Ghost, etc. I don't mind a snazzy stage costume either, but for me I'm going to show up for a gig wearing something that A) respects the venue, B) reflects my style and 3) is comfortable.

beatnik

When the weather is cooler, I will roll out in a shirt that is a little more loud. But in the summer it is the uniform, black or dark T-shirt, jeans and boots.

But yeah, I don’t want to look like Bob your neighbor.

drlucky

Mind you, I have about as much personal "style" as a Kaiser Henry J, but I still try to dress to fit the style of music and the venue/situation. In other words, if I'm hired to play at a nice restaurant, I'm not gonna show up in torn jeans and a Hawaiian shirt.

I generally try to at least sorta LOOK like I might be in the band...:cool:

MikeFM

Yes, when you go up on stage it's important to look like you care about being there. A little stage presence doesn't hurt, but you don't want to over do it either. Especially if you're past a certain age. You don't want to be 55 and get all Johnny Depp/Hollywood Vampires-ish.

sahhas

Supporting Member
Yes, when you go up on stage it's important to look like you care about being there. A little stage presence doesn't hurt, but you don't want to over do it either. Especially if you're past a certain age. You don't want to be 55 and get all Johnny Depp/Hollywood Vampires-ish.
look at Depp and the HV's:

i mean that hair, come on.....now Joe Perry's guitar....i want that realllllllllllllllllllllll bad....

Jayyj

Supporting Member
My benchmarks are Nick Cave (tailored vintage cut suit, open neck shirt, good shoes) for the smart gigs, Johnny Marr (designer shirt, skinny jeans) for the casual ones.

I know, I know, I'm superficial and image obsessed and I'd be a far better player if I didn't spend so much time staring lovingly at myself in the mirror, but I like dressing up for gigs - it makes me feel more confident and like I belong on the stage, and if I feel like that I'm going to play better.

I like watching people that make an effort in how they present themselves as well, always have. It's about communication, playing live, and how you come across when you walk out on stage is an important part of that communication. If the band look like they're onstage because they were looking for the bathroom and accidentally stumbled through the stage door, I'm paying a lot less attention than if they make an effort to look like they're there to do a gig.

MikeFM

My benchmarks are Nick Cave (tailored vintage cut suit, open neck shirt, good shoes) for the smart gigs, Johnny Marr (designer shirt, skinny jeans) for the casual ones.

I know, I know, I'm superficial and image obsessed and I'd be a far better player if I didn't spend so much time staring lovingly at myself in the mirror, but I like dressing up for gigs - it makes me feel more confident and like I belong on the stage, and if I feel like that I'm going to play better.

I like watching people that make an effort in how they present themselves as well, always have. It's about communication, playing live, and how you come across when you walk out on stage is an important part of that communication. If the band look like they're onstage because they were looking for the bathroom and accidentally stumbled through the stage door, I'm paying a lot less attention than if they make an effort to look like they're there to do a gig.
I don't know how else to say this, but I do appreciate a sharply dressed man on stage.

Trending Topics