Drilling holes in a blank pickup cover

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have any tips/hacks for this?

I have a pickup with mismatched plastic and and I want drill holes in a blank (no holes) pickup cover to match the existing one.

The existing mismatched pickup cover has the hole pattern I need. Can I just line the two covers in a vice and drill through? Any special bit I should use? We're talking Jazzmaster pickups here.

swiveltung

Hmmm. Well, I would probably try to mark the holes with the old pickup. I would center punch each hole to make sure the drill bit starts accurately. If you don't the bit will often walk a bit off center before digging in. Use a drill press if you can. The best case scenario is to have a "transfer punch". A transfer punch is the size of your hole with a little "tit" on the end of it. You put it in the hole and make the center punch dead center. For plastic I like the "brad point" bit which cuts the outside of the hole at nearly the same time as the from the center.
Brad point bit in center here: http://www.handymanknowhow.co.uk/drillingandfixing/drillbits.htm

swiveltung

BTW, if you get the Brad point drill to match the holes in the current cover, you may just use that to mark hole locations instead of acquiring a Transfer Punch. The hard part is keeping the two covers aligned while doing so. maybe some double sticky back carpet tape to hold them together?

argyletrinity

If you can, clamp pieces of wood on each side of where you want to drill, then drill. This helps prevent what I call blowout...or keeps the cover nice and flat.

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
BTW, if you get the Brad point drill to match the holes in the current cover, you may just use that to mark hole locations instead of acquiring a Transfer Punch. The hard part is keeping the two covers aligned while doing so. maybe some double sticky back carpet tape to hold them together?
what about in a vice?

Trending Topics