1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Driskill and Warrior Guitars

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by jimmybcool, Jul 26, 2005.

1. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

I was interested in a guitar I found on a webpage. A Driskill. I am curious what these sell for new and used. I am also wondering what is the consensus on these guitars?

I asked for photos of the Driskill guitar and they also sent some of a "Warrior Dran Michael".

I confess I know nothing about these guitars. Can anyone make comment on them and maybe point to where they are made (webpage) so I can get an idea of the quality of them?

2. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

http://www.driskillguitars.com/

Joe builds every guitar to order. So price varies. Top notch parts, great custom service, incredible attention to detail and lets not forget he does some of the coolest stains in the business. Joes does hot rod as well as anybody. Call him and talk to him if you are interested in a guitar. He is very gracious with his time.

If you are serious about a custom guitar do not forget to talk to B. Chapin, R. Thorn, S. Heatley.

See these threads to get introduced to some of the great builders that hang here.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85923&highlight=duplicarver

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71800&highlight=duplicarver

Enjoy your hunting.

cmn

3. jimmybcool

Thanks cnardone.

I actually already have a Thorn on order. And I am excited about it. But it will be a long time coming and it is NOT a strat type guitar.

I am considering getting a "strat" like custom guitar as well and might try to get one already completed. Or not. I am an undecided individual.

At this point the choices I have are myriad.

Option 1) Take my MIA strat to Thailand and buy a replacement here. Replacement options include:

a - MIA strat.
    b - MIM strat (tried one today with pretty good tone)
    c - ??? brand strat
    d - Thorn custom strat
    e - ??? custom strat

Option 2) Buy a MIM strat to take to thailand and keep the MIA strat here.

Option 3) Buy a guitar in Thailand and keep the MIA strat here.

I admit at this time I am leaning towardes the latter 2 choices but its always fun to "shop" for gear. And it is a learning process as well. Problem with Option 1 and 2 is hauling the damn thing there. And wondering if their customs will hassle me. Problem also with Option 3 is will there be any decent guitars for sale in Thailand. Probably in Bangkok but I don't live in Bangkok and that city is a pita.

I have heard so many good things about Driskill I was just wondering what his price ranges were like. If I ran into a deal I would want to know it.

And one place I enquired about a Driskill offered some Warrior guitars as an alternative and I am not at all familiar with them.

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

If you're looking for a Strat-like guitar, I wouldn't suggest either a Warrior or a Driskill. Take it for what it's worth from a guy who owns a Driskill and has another on order.

As for prices, it's been a while since I saw a used Driskill go for under $3500. Based on the Driskill/Warrior connection, I'm guessing you talked with Gary at GuitarX. Gary's a good guy.

5. jimmybcool

aleclee

Bingo. Even though I am figuring out what to do about a guitar in Thailand, that Driskill is intriguing. And the price is about right. Would these guys be the type to sell a guitar that has deficiencies? I mean from what I have read Driskill maintains very high quality and all his guitars are both nice to look at and also PLAY. So assuming no one modified this one in any way or damaged it it should be good to go. Question is are they a dealer that would disclose if something was wrong?

This is a sickness. I need to get out of the country before I end up with 10 guitars.

Thanks again

James

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've seen that guitar in the shop. It's in good shape (though I didn't look at it that closely). Gary strikes me as a trustworthy guy.

Make sure you're cool with the 12th fret inlay. They're the initials of the original owner who was Shania Twain's guitar player at the time.

7. jimmybcool

Ahh. I was kind of wondering what the TPO stood for. I still don't know who that is but simple enough.

I shall simply change my name to Theodore Percifal Orenthal. No problemo.

LOLs.

I imagine if I wanted I could get the inlay changed if it mattered. I am sort of leaning away from it right now but it is a sweet looking guitar. Thanks.

BTW, Gary is certainly responsive. He responds the same business day to every post. I respect that.

As a comparison, I sent an email to a store in Thailand on June 24 asking if they carried any fender guitars. They sent a reply on July 21. :confused:

Did they think I would remember who they WERE after 4 weeks?

8. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

9. jimmybcool

Thanks. I reasd your post before. Nice collection there.

The initials don't really bother me. I am just wondering WHY I should get another guitar. I am still a fairly new returnee to playing and I have a PRS Custom 24 to play until my Thorn is finished.

I really like the looks of that guitar and want it. But without playing it I have no idea how it would feel. Yet I am tempted to take the risk.

Logic doesn't have much to do with this stuff does it? :NUTS

10. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

If you are looking for a Strat Type guitar, talk to Bill Chapin. i am a little Biased (owning a Chapin) but he does an out of this world strat. Check out this thread http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79329
    if you do not want to wait or go to chapinguitars and talk to Bill about a custom order. His guitars will knock your socks off.

11. jimmybcool

Thanks for the idea. Chapin looks like a good lutheir and I am saving him to my favorites folder.

I have reached a decision. I am still too new to be dropping big bucks (again) on more guitars. In a year I will better know what tone and feel I want. And I already have a Thorn on order.:AOK

I am going to go cheap just once on the guitar I take to live in Thailand. I am going to buy the MIM with the great tone I found. It already has a nick in the back (repaired but visible) so I won't cry if it gets scratched or even destroyed by the airlines. And at $325 how can I go wrong?

Yup. Gonna do that and keep the MIA strat here for now.

Now I gotta figure out an AMP for thailand. I sure ain't hauling that from here. I got to find a store over there. I wonder how soundproof the walls in my condo are? :dude

:angel

12. eugewong

eugewong Member

Round Here we stay up very very very very late
    jimmybcool,

if you're going to be in Thailand, and going ot live there for awhile, you have to check you NNG Guitars.

www.nngguitars.com - POS website, but killer axes.

The builder's name is Prasit, he makes really good copies, but can get as custom as you want him to be....at a very very decent price.

He did a great job retopping my strat with 4A Flame maple and refinished it (dyed top, scraped natural binding).

13. jimmybcool

Thanks for that link. I actually found it once before but since the website is so pathetic I figured maybe their work wasn't so good.

But now I got a good review maybe I should check them out. Are they in Bangkok? In a perfect world they would be in Chonburi or Pattaya since I live down there. In reality - probably every decent music store is in Bangkok.

14. niersbach

niersbach Member

Even if he is in Bangkok at least its only an hours ride to hook the good ol baht bus to get there. Man, you brought back some great memories!! I was in Thailand for 3 months a few years ago when I was still in the Marine Corps. We worked in chonburi, played in Pataya beach (gotta love the carusel and club 69!! hehehe) and I even escaped to Bangkok for a weekend just to check it all out. HAd a great time there.

15. jimmybcool

Carousel is still there. Can't say as I know what CLub 69 is. Strange as I live in Pattaya 6 months a year. Maybe I know it as something else.

I meet a lot of service people there during Cobra Gold each year. A good bunch ny and large.

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

The Warrior Guitars are built for looks first. If it ends up sounding great, it's by accident.... I owned one that sounded phenomenal, looked that way too. Owned another that was a looks 'impulse buy'. Hands down best looking guitar I've owned. But it was a dog in the tone department....

17. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

Go with the Driskill. Joe Driskill is the a great guy and that body shape is the sexiest guitar out there. I've heard nothing but good reports. Can't go wrong here. Joe is seriously into the details.

18. twitch

twitch Member

I'd HIGHLY recommend the Driskill, and if you are lookign for a strat sound, have Joe build you a single coil model. i have P90's in mine. Can't imagine a strat I'd play over it. The Driskill is THE total package:

sound
    feel
    comfort
    playability
    looks

Any other guitar I strap on doesn't feel quite right. I love my Melancon, but it is hard to switch to it after playing the Driskill.

19. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

I own 3 driskills, and they are beauts, but I'm afraid, no driskill I've ever played can replace a strat entirely.

Actually last night I was playing my Driskills and switched to my strats to play some Stevie and Pink floyd. There is no way a Driskill can do those tones. Joe will agree with me, unless maybe you have some boutique bluestone pedal.

I put my strat into my fender twin, and it was dead on. The driskill, although nice, no way was close. I've played Joes Diablo blues through his twin in the shop, and although its a killer guitar, its not a strat.

Also a nice US strat costs 700-800$ used these days or even less for a good mexican one, so you buy one strat, you are covered.

20. jimmybcool

And that is why I made my choice.

I have heard nothing but good about Driskill. And some day maybe I'll step up to that plate. I am already in the queue for a Thorn Master and have a PRS Custom 24 in the meantime. SO I think I am covered for the LP type guitar.

I bought the MIM. I t sounds good and plays fine and cost $320. I can't complain. And maybe I'll find that there are some good custom guitar makers in Thailand.

Based on brand name appeal and tarriffs it is possible I could sell my MIM there for a nice profit too. Maybe even start hauling one per trip and trading it for a custom there. Who knows? I need to find out if this is legal for course :dude