driskill diablo : Worth the wait ??????

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by dbaldice, Aug 2, 2006.

1. dbaldice

dbaldice Member

OK .... It has been " A VERY LONG TIME " since I placed the order for my Diablo. I have high hopes for the guitar because it offers a solution to my quest : pure tone along with superior playability and beauty.But the wait is unbelievable....I have owned 4 Diablos now since I discovered what they were all about and none was really what I wanted for one reason or another, mostly avoidable, I am afraid. I bought them on this forum or on ebay. So my question is this : Those Diablo owners who ordered and recieved one, is it worth the wait ??????I will not say how long I have waited because it is downright embarrasing but how long did it take you to get your Diablo and was it worth the wait ?

2. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

What does the one you ordered have different than the previous 4 that you didn't vibe with?

3. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

this is wishful thinking but in the slim chance that you still have the 4 diablos please let me know. i want another one. thanks.

4. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

????

5. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

Personally for me, I could never wait 2 years for a guitar (a year probably) but I think by the time 24 months had passed, I'd already be wanting something different as my tastes would have changed. So you're probably the only one who can really say whether it's worth it or not.

How long have you been waiting?

6. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

You bought 4 Driskills and all were " mostly avoidable". So now your going for #5.
    Seems kinda odd to me, but whatever. Hope you enjoy your new one.
    BTW, could you please explain what "mostly avoidable" means in the context of your post. Thanks:)

7. niersbach

niersbach Member

All I can say is that mine hit the spot for me. I really enjoy playing the thing. The wait is extremely long, yes....but its also extremely long for any other mainstream small builder right now also. Joes waslonger than most, due to all his special projects I would guess, but most of us knew it was going to be an extensive wait going into the buying phase. He seems to be churning them out now at a pace that I have never seen from him before. Seems like every 2 weeks another guitar is completed. I know that he had a LOT of guitars that were half complete the last time a friend was down there to see him and now it seems like all that labor is finally paying off in completed guitars.

Will yours be the exact guitar you are looking for....that is hard to say since you didnt bond with the other 4 you had. I mean, it really depends on why it was you didnt get along with these 4 becasue there are obviously some things that are not going to change, such as the shape and feel of the guitar....they all seem to be pretty hefty, but are extremely well balanced. It seems like they all have a pretty big neck (all the ones I have touched seem to feel like that anyhow) so unless you were very specific about aspects of yours being built I would guess yours will too. One thing is for certain, if you dont like it there are plenty of poeple in line to take it off your hands. I listed mine for a while because of my divorce and I still get emails about it 7 months later asking if I am ready to part with it yet.

8. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I haven't played one myself but all the Driskill OWNERS I know and have talked to have been EXTREMELY pleased with the guitars. The only times they are usually for sale is when they REALLY need the money badly! If I had the cash, I would love to pick up one of Joe's guitars. I've had two phone conversations with him in the past and he seems like a truly cool individual.

9. clarkram

clarkram Member

I ordered my Driskill 3/02, received it 4/03, I guess I ordered mine at a time when there wasn't a large back log of orders.

As for the guitar, it is one of my favorite players. I also own 2 Thorns and a Suhr T so it has good company.

Whether or not the wait is worth it is up to you. If I had guitars on hand that I liked I wouldn't worry about the wait, but thats just me.

Why don't you call Joe and ask for a realistic time line? I had to, several times.

10. rusmurf

rusmurf Member

It's kinda tough when your playing guitars other people spec'd specifically for themselves.

11. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

I edited my post.

12. dbaldice

dbaldice Member

During the time that I have been waiting, I have seen the others become available, so I bought them. They were not built to the specs that mine is, and that is part of the reason that I didnt keep them. I mean, if I see one that looks like the right guitar, but it has inlays I dont like, I will try it anyway because if it is the guitar I am hoping for in all other ways, I can try to get past the inlays...Or the color, if it wasnt my thing, or whatever else was not what I would have ordered....
    But my question is for all of the folks out there who DID get what they ordered :
    Was it worth the wait???
    I wont say how long I have waited on this forum out of courtesy to Joe, but I will say that not only are my kids in different grades than they were when I ordered it, they are in different SCHOOLS

13. stompbox

stompbox Member

this can happen in 3 months (end school in june in elementary and begin in middle-school in August).... being in 2 different schools means nothing.

14. gmjones2001

gmjones2001 Member

Oh brother.....

This forum is lacking the roll eyes emoticon so you'll have to just get smacked!

:Spank

15. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Did you spec the guitar out with anything different/special ordered? If there's a different inlay or something like that just keep in mind that might tack on time to the build process. Not sure because I don't know the exact stuff, but like I said Joe seems like a good guy and like any small builder can have backups/delays. Doesn't mean he's doing it on purpose... unless you really made him angry! :moon ;) Hehehe, I'm sure it will be worth it once you finally get it! :D

16. niersbach

niersbach Member

Asking if a Custom guitar was worth the wait is practically an impossible question to answer. I mean if you wait 5 years for a guitar and when it arrives and its the best guitar you ever laid your hands on, was it worth the wait...I dont know. The long wait can sour some people to the point that they wont like it no matter how good it is, it will magnify any weakness in the guitar tenfold for the actual owner (and we all know that every guitar has some weaknesses, there is no 1 guitar that is absolutely perfect at everything). If you are looking for some type of reassurance that your guitar is going to be worth the wait, only you can define that. I have been waiting quite a while for a different guitar (hitting the year and a half mark right now) but I am still in absolutely no rush to get the guitar because I know that me worrying about it isnt going to get it here any quicker. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I ordered the guitar, and even though the builder said about a year was going to be the wait, I knew in my heart that 2 years was a definite possibility and more than likely a probabilty. You just gotta strap yourself in for the long wait and try to concentrate on other things until you get that call saying that the electronics are being installed.....because that is the only time that you know that the wait will only be a month or so. Any other point in construction there are many possibilities that things can go wrong. On mine, it went into paint and I was suddenly excited aobut it....when it came out of paint it was 20 shades darker than we had planed and teh builder and I both decided to start over, strip it and redo it. It added a bunch of time to my build, but such is life. If you cant handle the uncertainty, then you should stick to off the shelf or used. I am betting that mine will be well over the 2 year mark before its complete, and no its not a Driskill. Will it be worth the wait, well for me I am 100 percent confident that it would be worth the wait even if its 3 - 4 years, as its something that is completely personal to me....I dont care how long it takes to build, its something that will be special to me and I want all teh care in teh world to be put into it.

17. Luke

Luke Senior Member

I do not think the question can be answered.

The facts so far seem to be:

You purchased four other Drikills, none of which fit your specifications perfectly.

You ordered a Drikill, which will be made to your specifications.

What we can reasonably assume:

You will receive the guitar you ordered.

The question, is it worth the wait?

This can only be answered when the guitar is completed and you have it in your hands to determine if you knew what it was you really wanted. You may discover that you neglected to mention certain items in your order that in hindsight turned out to be 'ut ohhs'. If you gave neck dimensions, did you copy a neck you are 100% satisfied with, or did you meld the measurements of various necks to come up with what you HOPE will be your holy grail?

Many people have custom ordered guitars to learn that what sounded good on paper (or TGP bandwidth) did not result in the result they thought. Custom orders have inherent risk, unless you provide the builder a guitar to clone. It now seems like you wish to push the downside of the risk you willing entered into onto the builder. It is not hard to see from the content of this thread that if the guitar does not EXCEED your expectations, given the wait time, you will not only be disappointed, but you will surely share that disappointment with us and anyone else who will listen, and I am quite sure Joe Driskill will be portrayed in a negative light when such would occur.

If you want fast results or guarantees you will like a product, do not custom order something, only consider purchasing items that already exist and that you can play first hand before buying.

It seems like you have buyers remourse before you even receive the order, which never turns out good in my experience. If you enter into something with a negative attitude, a positive result is almost impossible.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The more I think about it, your actual question is more along the lines of "will it be worth the marginal wait," i.e., the time from now until I get it, as the time you've already invested in waiting is already spent.

Not a huge point but it may help make your remaining wait seem shorter. :)

19. koamarlin

koamarlin Member

IMHO after already having owened 4 guitars of a certain brand somebody should be able to make up his (own!) mind if it is worth to wait for a 5th one, especially if the previous 4 didn´t ring a bell in him . :crazy
    There is nobody in the world who can help him to decide to love it or leave it.

I have been waiting for a custom Huber project for 3 years now. And I´d be willing to do so for another undefined period of time. ( Don´t anybody tell Nik , please!!!)

:crazyguy

I would definitely not do so, if earlier projects didn´t turn out right or had left me with the slightest doubt in Nik´s work or it´s outcome.

So: I don´t think ANYBODY can answer that tricky question for dbaldice....!

20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Personally, I wouldn't wait 2+ years for any guitar on the earth but that's just me.