Driskill Diabolo

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Many years ago now (where does the time go?), on a business trip to Dallas/Ft. Worth, I visited Joe in his shop and Joe showed me around it. I remember thinking then how much more quickly Joe could build his guitars if he just subcontracted some of it out but that's not who Joe is personally or as a luthier.

Diablo

Jon, you are so right I know. I am looking into getting the metal parts made, possibly. It would be incredible as that stuff takes an inordinate amount of time.

Meanwhile, a guitar a week has been leaving lately. I'll get pictures up soon.

Yossi

I waited for more than a year to get a guitar from Joe. He had a bad string of luck and was so far back on guitar orders that I cancelled.
Joe was always nice to speak to, but the guitar deal never happened.

twitch

Here is a picture of mine:

I am lucky enough to have my own link on Joe's page, so there are more pictures there:

http://www.driskillguitars.com/Tim.htm

This guitar was my number one the day I received it. It came the day I had a gig, which was pretty neat. I wound up selling my PRS custom 22 as I never played it.

I just recently went a few months without playing the D4riskill, which never happened before. This was because I bought a sweet Gretsch and was in the honeymoon phase, and obviously a very different guitar. Played the Driskill with my band last week for the first time in a while, and was quicly reminded how great is is. The feel of Joe's guitars is second to none IMO.

Down and Out in NYC

Gold Supporting Member
I took delivery of my Diablo about 3 weeks ago. I haven't had time to get many good pics. Eventually I'll sit down to post my thoughts on the guitar. I'll also try to get some decent photos. Here's a couple teaser pics until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Here is a picture of mine:

I am lucky enough to have my own link on Joe's page, so there are more pictures there:

http://www.driskillguitars.com/Tim.htm

This guitar was my number one the day I received it. It came the day I had a gig, which was pretty neat. I wound up selling my PRS custom 22 as I never played it.

I just recently went a few months without playing the D4riskill, which never happened before. This was because I bought a sweet Gretsch and was in the honeymoon phase, and obviously a very different guitar. Played the Driskill with my band last week for the first time in a while, and was quicly reminded how great is is. The feel of Joe's guitars is second to none IMO.
Probably my favorite of his inlays.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
He's got a purple one on his site I used to drool over.
Cool stuff. I've played several, (My favorite the spalted P90 'Tammy' guitar).

A buddy has several of them. It's very evolutionary.

NeuroLogic

Jon, you are so right I know. I am looking into getting the metal parts made, possibly. It would be incredible as that stuff takes an inordinate amount of time.

Meanwhile, a guitar a week has been leaving lately. I'll get pictures up soon.

Diabolo Joe, Jason Schroeder's wrap around bridge's are excellent.

Grant S.

Let's see those killer Driskills!

I always thought Joe's work wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but damn...baby got back.

...Top ain't bad either. :)

I can definitely admire the craftsmanship, and by all accounts these are killer guitars. Congratulations!

Could you tell me more about that neck heel? It seems REALLY well designed. Looks like a neck-through joint, but I don't see the seams on the back. Sculpted set-neck maybe?

Tell us more about the guitar!

NeuroLogic

Here's a pic from Joe's website. The neck is set 44mm depth into the body. The fit must be extremely tight as the sustain, harmonics & overtones on these guitars is off the chart. Also, he uses carbon fibre neck reinforcements and very strong Tool Steel trus rods which would contribute to this.

The neck heel blends into the body for a very comfortable and easy access to the upper frets.

Joe has posted here so he could add a lot of information.

Last edited:

hodad

I happen to own the unfinished guitar above. It's hard to describe how good this guitar is. I guess one of the things I like the most is the combination of a large neck carve with super low action. The guitar is effortless to play.

Diablo

Hi NueroLogic! The neck joint is very tight. It press fits into the body. I make the carbon fiber that is in the neck. It isn’t just strips. It is unidirectional fiber which means that all of its strength is in one direction as opposed to regular carbon fiber which is interwoven. The neck has muliple pieces in it at strategic points. This makes the neck act more like a tuning fork and also ensures no dead spots anywhere. By doing this, one can have the sculpted heel that you mentioned and not have to worry about it affecting tone or sustain.

When I started doing this, the truss rods would break due to the stiffness of the neck. So, I had to make my own truss rods. I started making stainless steel ones, but found that stainless steel has a propensity to gall. So, I switched to chromoly steel, which is a tool steel, and is very tough stuff. This truss rod is extremely powerful and can adjust the neck in thousandths of inch increments. Once it is set, it most probably never will need to be adjusted again. Hopefully that helps to answer your question.

Yes Mike, that is the Eagle!

Trending Topics