1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

drive for a kt66 hiwatt amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scotty31, Aug 7, 2008.

1. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

im looking for a really good drive to run with my custom amp
    its based off the 70's dr series hiwatts.

ive tried a few things that were ok. ocd, tube zone, ulbrick 12axe.
    i wouldnt mind some more suggestions though.

what im after is something ballsy and british and as far away from a tubescreamer as possible.
    ive got a mullard keeley java boost at the moment which is great, so if its something that will stack well with a treble boost, even better.

no budget set, but anything over $250 is pushing it.

ive had the following at the front of my mind for a while:
    Box of Rock/Metal
    Proanalog Power Driver
    Fireburst II
    Keeley BD2
    MXR GTOD
    Skreddy Top Fuel

any thoughts/suggestions

everything is being played with a strat.

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Biggus Bearfootus Vendor

tried a Crunchbox ? and they are made in AUS as well....

3. scotty31

scotty31 Supporting Member

to be honest, i havent with this amp, but i have with other kt66 amps and i did really like it. ive always pigeon-holed it as a runner up to the ocd.
    i might try get a hold of both and check em out...

4. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

My Komet is loaded with KT66 and I used to have a Germino C45 (KT66) so here are suggestions based on those.

ProAnalog - I have the Power Driver and think you'l like that a lot. Retains the glassy crunch of KT66 and cleans up nice and sparkly.
    The Skreddy Screwdriver suits KT66 very well too I think. Nice and crunchy and you cn dial in/out the amount of bass/fuzz you want. Cleans up great too.
    Okko Diablo sounds lovely too. There are some clips on his site I did thru the Germino for you to get an idea.

Hope that helps.
    Chris

Hope that helps.

5. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

used my Box of Rock and my Power Driver with my Hiwatt 50watt yesterday. Both were great, tho i like my Power Driver a little more with my Maz18. The BoR, tho is perfect with the Hiwatt.
    A COT works pretty well with a Hiwatt too, tho i had to re-eq the amp a bit.

cheers