• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Drive-in by Jerry Reed and Chet Atkins

Phletch

You've got a real feel for that style which is completely alien to me and outside my comfort zone. I totally enjoyed that, mate! :beer

71strat

Heres a friend of mine.... Josh Woods ( Hes 31 years YOUNGER than me... Hes 27 ... ) I thought you may like, and has done really well on Travis Picking, and won the Merle Travis Picking x 2010 Horizon Award in Muhlenberg County Ky . Back in the 60s his dad was known as the best guitar player in Boyd County Ky, and the Tri State Area. Ky/Oh/Wva. I can hardly stand to pick up my guitar around Josh, but hes not a judging type of guy. If you can play a good lick ect, but he is an other worldly guitar player, and also plays mainly by ear. Another friend taught Josh to read tab. But if he can hear it, he can play it.

He also plays some great Wes Montgomery, but doesn't display it.

Josh also plays shred, and can play anything Eddie, or Malmsteen put on a record, but his main gig is Travis Picking, which for me is way harder than shredding. Its like Ragtime Piano on the guitar.

A friend graduated from Juilliard for singing, and also plays Piano, but wasnt good enough to go there on piano, but was for vocals... But hes a KILLER piano player.
He told me for him. Ragtime Piano is the hardest for him to play vs Classical ect.

Josh got a guitar at age 5 and within 3 years he was better than his dad.
His dad never gave him lessons, as he was afraid he would burn him out, but Josh was very inquisitive, and had a good ear, and eye, and his mother sings, and he was raised up hearing gospel, and Chet Atkins, his dad is a big Chet/Merle Travis fan. Whos Not ???

MrAstro

Heres a friend of mine.... Josh Woods ( Hes 31 years YOUNGER than me... Hes 27 ... ) I thought you may like, and has done really well on Travis Picking, and won the Merle Travis Picking x 2010 Horizon Award in Muhlenberg County Ky . Back in the 60s his dad was known as the best guitar player in Boyd County Ky, and the Tri State Area. Ky/Oh/Wva. I can hardly stand to pick up my guitar around Josh, but hes not a judging type of guy. If you can play a good lick ect, but he is an other worldly guitar player, and also plays mainly by ear. Another friend taught Josh to read tab. But if he can hear it, he can play it.

He also plays some great Wes Montgomery, but doesn't display it.

Josh also plays shred, and can play anything Eddie, or Malmsteen put on a record, but his main gig is Travis Picking, which for me is way harder than shredding. Its like Ragtime Piano on the guitar.

A friend graduated from Juilliard for singing, and also plays Piano, but wasnt good enough to go there on piano, but was for vocals... But hes a KILLER piano player.
He told me for him. Ragtime Piano is the hardest for him to play vs Classical ect.

Josh got a guitar at age 5 and within 3 years he was better than his dad.
His dad never gave him lessons, as he was afraid he would burn him out, but Josh was very inquisitive, and had a good ear, and eye, and his mother sings, and he was raised up hearing gospel, and Chet Atkins, his dad is a big Chet/Merle Travis fan. Whos Not ???

Awesome! I love all that stuff - I also like playing Scott Joplin stuff on the piano but I haven't done it for a long while. I recently ordered some ragtime arrangements for guitar "The Cascades" and "Magnetic Rag". I'm looking forward to trying them but they are wickedly hard technically - so I'm not sure I'll be able to pull them off. But it will be fun to try over an extended period of time. Cannonball rag is one of my favourites - but I haven't learnt it all - just bits. I also like Chinatown my Chinatown if you've ever heard that one.

There's some awesomely talented people out there isn't there.

Have a listen to this one. This rag is just ridiculously hard.

71strat

Although not Chet/Jerry/Merle influenced.

This is 1 of Joshs friends up in Cleveland Ohio, and also active in Columbus Ohio, and helped get the above live gig for Josh, with Thom Bresh. Merles son.

This guy is Jim Volk, and is IMHO is really intertaing, original, and a really nice guy, and very unassuming. Both Josh and Jim should be making more money than what they do.

IMHO few rock and rollers are technically any better than either 1 of these guys.

I could listen to Jim all day. Hes got several videos on YouTube. As does Josh.

Jim Soloway

As others are posting clips in this style, I thought I would point you in the direction of Swedish young player Emil Ernebro who's astounding in this genre.

Cheers,

Mats N
I'm pretty sure I met him a the CAAS a few years ago. Amazing energy.

71strat

JParry335

Andrew, you've done a great job on this tune. I always love hearing you play.
Having said that, I have to say, it irritates me to no end when people hijack someone's thread by posting their friend, brother, mother or whoever that plays something similar.
They seem to be incapable of starting their own thread. I think it's great to promote people that you admire but do it in your own damn thread! Don't hijack someone else's.
I know how much you aspire to play Chet's music and I think you do a fine job of it. That should be recognized and applauded.
Keep on bringing it Andrew!

Phletch

it irritates me to no end when people hijack someone's thread by posting their friend, brother, mother or whoever that plays something similar.
They seem to be incapable of starting their own thread. I think it's great to promote people that you admire but do it in your own damn thread! Don't hijack someone else's.
Thank you for saying what I was thinking. It's clearly evident Andrew is more than familiar with Chet's style and should be commended on his own merits. Bringing up "this is my buddy, look how great he is" is kind of a slap in the face, even if that wasn't the intention.

MrAstro

The sad reality is that for 99.9999% of us there's always a better guitarist out there - the world has a rather large talent pool :) Some people often say when they hear Tommy Emmanuel or some other prodigy that "well after that I'm going sell my guitars" :).

You just have to practice harder and enjoy the journey. For me learning this stuff keeps me sane and gives me something to live for.

I agree maybe another thread devoted to them in the Sound Hound Lounge is a better place but on the upside I got to hear some good pickers :) Thanks for listening!

Now can someone tell me how to make my middle aged short fat fingers move like Johnny Hiland's?

journo

Hi everyone,

If I have offended anyone or breached the etiquette of this place, please accept my sincere apologies. I thought it was OK as other did it. I know it's a lame excuse, as I should know the rules.

Will not happen again!

Cheers,

Mats N

71strat

I complimented, and then posted a couple things from my friends, and got likes. Gave a little history on my friends to make it more personal.

I also posted things as to where you can mostly see what their fingers are doing, and maybe we can all benefit from it. I'm nowhere as good as my buddies here, have been playing 30 years longer than Josh has been alive, and don't even really like to pick a guitar up around either of them. Although they are not snobby guys, and will insist you get your butt up and play.

I don't know Volk. Woods does, and has helped Woods, and helped him get a gig with Thom Bresh. Merle Travis son.

Sorry if I offended. I dont look at it as a contest.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom