1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Drive Models - What Gives ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Electric I, May 23, 2011.

1. Electric I

Electric I Member

Why aren't the most popular drives modeled in some of the new modelers?

Looking at the pod hd bean list I see a metal zone model. This model is included in just about every multi-box I've seen. Does anyone really care if there's a metal zone in their arsenal?

Where are the zendrive / klon / barber / timmy models ?

2. t3oi

t3oi Member

I think a lot of high-gain folks use modelers, so the Metal Zone is a good addition for them. I never use it, but I'm more along the lines of the pedals you listed there: Zendrive/Klon/et al.

I think most of those pedals you mentioned are at least loosely based on the "vintage" pedals the modelers typically do go after, so maybe that is close enough for the designers. I do know that at least with the HD500, you have more tone tweaking options than the actual pedal would get you, so you can get close.

3. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

What's popular here on TGP isn't necessarily what's popular among guitar players worldwide.

4. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

...and Wampler, Xotic, Fulltone, ........

5. Ben R

Ben R Member

I don't remember which drives are in the HD's or Eleven Rack. Here's a list of some that can be found in the Axe FX...

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/index.php?title=Drive

One of the great things about having so many parameters that can be adjusted is that you can take a drive that's modelling one product, and change enough stuff to make it sound more like another one. As demonstrated here, you can also tweak some of those to sound like other boutique drives:

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  6. stilwel

stilwel Member

You'd be surprised how many non-metal players use the metal-zone pedal.

It can do a lot more than metal because it has EQ options than your typical dist/od pedal.

7. Dancing Frog

Dancing Frog Member

I agree. That's why I have a Keeley modded one(e.g. The Twilight Zone mod). The original pedal sounds like @$$(i.e. thin, cheap, and harsh).

8. Electric I

Electric I Member

Good points all around.

Far as what's popular outside of tgp goes, I can't see a park 75 or a gibson eh-185 being used by very many people, yet they're included in all the hd units.

Don't get me wrong - I understand the inclusion of all the 'staples' in a given multi, but it seems same old/same old when it comes to drive stomps in modeling boxes. Just an observation.

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

A lot of pedals (e.g., Zendrive) are designed to emulate the OD of an amp. As a Zendrive owner, I don't miss it much on my AxeFX when there are three different Dumble models.

10. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

In the Axe drive block, you can set all kinds of options for each basic type, like input low cut, high cut, clip type (germanium, silicon, tube, etc), clip bias levels, the frequency of the tone control, and there is a three band eq with a para mid.

With all those great options, you can get lots of tones beyond the basic Rat, Muff, Tube Driver, Metal Zone, etc types.

Too bad the Axe amp models are so good I never use the drive block.

JWW

11. Ben R

Ben R Member

In theory, I kind of agree with that. But, I also do other things. The amp models definitely are that good. But, I'm a sucker for some of the drive models. Even though I can get great tones without them, I sometimes still use them. ...Just because they work for me in certain situations. In the past, I used to really experiment with them. I came up with some stuff that I realy liked and have never stopped using. I've got a really good patch where I drive the Shiva sim. I've got another one with a drive in front of the Trainwreck sim. They just work. Anyway, your larger point is still valid. For every 2 or 3 of those examples, I have 10 or 15 more really usable & frequently played patches which use no drive blocks at all. So, i do both. Having options is a great thing.

12. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

That Park75 model does not suck at all... spend some time with it. That Gibson model is a bit meh... don't know where I'd use it...

But don't dis the Metalzone.. if ever need to ever need to lay down subtle atmospheric style chords (like synth pad style stuff)... the metalzone is really suited for this... by scooping the midrange out it'll lay low in the mix. It'll make for a good sustain heavy dumble/boogie style lead too with the mid punched up... Doesn't have to be for Metal only...

13. Electric I

Electric I Member

Oh, I'm not saying the park (or any other model in the hd series) isn't useful/good/great, etc., just that there are some models included that most potential line6 customers would likely never have heard before. The two aforementioned models being examples. So if these 'non-mainstream' amp models are worthy of making the grade, why not some non-mainstream drive pedal models ?

Well it may have it's uses (I've read where the sweepable mids can come in handy in tandem with whatever other od/dist is being used), but I'd bet it's mostly onboard cause easily recognized.

At the end of the day it just strikes me as odd that there aren't more boutique (for lack of a better word) od/dist models in some of the newer boxes.

14. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

It's not that odd... most of the boutique pedals are just variants of the big names ones.

How many boutique OD/Distortions are just simple variants of the Tube Screamer or DS-1 circuit... (Answer... FAR more than the builders would like for you to believe.)

15. Electric I

Electric I Member

I hear what you're saying & agree.

Still, in a lot of cases the variants have more than surpassed the designs that inspired them. These are the models I'd like to see, as I'm sure many others would as well.

16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Something tells me to save my $$$ for an Axe

17. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

I was using the tube drive and FET drive models a lot for treble boost and clean boost. The low cut parameter was really useful for taming low end mush when I was going for the SRV Strat type sounds. I really like being able to use a tube or germanium model for clipping and adjust the clip levels.

I think the drive block in the Axe is a great tool, I just haven't used it much lately, since I've become more comfortable tweaking the amp model advanced parameters.

JWW

18. KozMcCharlie

KozMcCharlie Member

I can't speak for any of the other modelers, but in the POD HD there are the extra EQ parameters on most of the distortions that will allow you to dial in some of these other pedals. For instance, I can get the tube drive to sound exactly like a Klon. You can also get the Screamer to sound like just about any of the boutique pedals that use it as a jumping off point. The Metal Zone model is also fantastic because it will cop a dearth of other heavier OD and Distortion boxes.

The trick is experimentation. Just because you don't see the name you're looking for doesn't mean the sound isn't in there. It may not be as easy as calling up the pedal and getting to it, but with some work and some knowledge of the genealogy of the pedal you're trying to get, you can usually find a way to make it happen. This is true with the amp models as well... Especially now that they've included the deep edit parameters. You just need to get in there and really program the thing.

19. Electric I

Electric I Member

Good to know, Koz.

I look forward to dissecting the bean a.s.a.p.

And yeah, with all the extra parameters in the ax, it does seem limitless in what you could dial in.

Thanks to all for your insight.

20. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

:nono