drive pedals and their favorite clean amps

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dpgreek, Mar 5, 2015.

1. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Looking to see what success some folks have had with certain drive pedals into amps you run cleanly for pedal platform. Can be any amp, any size and any pedal. Helps to know the guitar too.

2. esmith747

esmith747 Member

I've found recent nirvana with a Paul C Tim (V1) and a Winfield Typhoon Combo (15 watt version).

3. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Gibson SG '61 Reissue > Jetter Helium/Jetter Gain Stage Gold/Sarno Earth Drive > Fender HR Deville

Gibson ES-135 > Lovepedal Kalamazoo Gold/Sarno Earth Drive/Lovepedal Les Lius>HR Deville

Fender Am. Std Strat > Lovepedal Les Lius/Kalamazoo Gold/Jetter Red Square > HR Deville

All the guitars can find a sweet spot in any of thee combos, but the ones I listed seem incredibly effortless to bring out great tones.

I play a lot of Americana/Alt Country, but the SG/Gain Stage Gold combo really gets some great lead tones and can be quite crunchy in "Hard" mode.

4. iceman823

iceman823 Member

Egnater Tweaker 40 head + Avatar closed back 1x12 with Hellatone 60 (V30).

Channel 1: Vintage mode/USA voicing/bright switch - on
    I use a Boss SD-1 or sometimes a TS-808 into this channel for edge of breakup tones & heavy blues.

Channel 2: Modern mode/USA voicing/bright switch - off
    MXR 10-band EQ (frown curve) ->Texas Harmonic Hot Mod 800 -> Cmatmods Brownie (low pass filters clipped) -> Wampler Pinnacle -> MI Audio Crunchbox = various flavors of brown sound heaven! :aok

MXR Carbon Copy & TC HOF reverb in the loop.

5. war-knuckles

war-knuckles Supporting Member

Xotic AC+ into a Dr. Z Maz38 (el84). ive gone through countless drive pedals over the years and no matter what i keep coming back to the AC+. something magical in that sound.

in my experiences i didnt think the ac worked as well with fender style amps, ymmv tho

6. dpgreek

cool to know... I'm thinking of switching from Fender to a Laney and that too has EL84s, probably class ab, though.

7. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Anything Barber into any Fender blackface is usually a winner.

A Plimsoul into a blackface circuit is great for me too.

A tele with a Skreddy SDMD into a Supro style circuit...my favorite of all.

8. majick59

majick59 Member

OCD with blackface fenders.

9. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

All of these into my Brunetti Singleman 16 sound great:
    Zendrive
    OceanEFX Pearl Drive
    Wampler Euphoria
    Brunetti Vanilla and Taxi Drive
    Ethos
    Kingsley Jester

For guitars it would be too many to name, but pickups have included Rolph '59 PAF, DAllen Fury and Big Cat single coils, Barden Two Tone and T Style, Brierley B90 and 50's Humbuckers.

10. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

FuzzFace into classic Marshall amps.

Rat into classic Fender amps.

Crybabies and Tubescreamers work great with both!

11. pappafox

pappafox Member

Telecaster > OD-820 (when it's "GO" time) > 66 Pro Reverb.

12. dpgreek

I've had good luck with my bondi sick as and Barber GC into a Fender HRD 2 with a WGS Reaper speaker

13. Patient of Dr. Z

Patient of Dr. Z Member

Into a Dr. Z Maz 18jr:

Wampler Euphoria in the Open setting, beautiful, maintains the character of the amp; in the Smooth setting, adds some creaminess and richness; slightly prefer the Open setting.

Catalinbread DLS mkiii, very aggressive sounding, which I like, but at times I find it a bit shrill. I keep the gain (Preamp knob) pretty low, around 9:00 or 10:00 max.

The Euphoria is my favorite of the 2. I'm thinking of getting Wampler's Plexi-Drive Deluxe as a possible replacement for the DLS. For my uses, I always feel that the DLS is like an angry dog that I have keep on a short leash and never let it run to its full potential.

14. 89strat

89strat Member

RAT - Deluxe Reverb

There's some other pedals in there as well, but that's pretty much my main canvas. I play an HSS strat, les paul, and a prs.

15. Slevin

Slevin Member

Timmy/Rockbox Boiling Point into a Deluxe reverb '65 with a 2x12 white box with celestion v30's. guitar is a semi hollow G&L ASAT tribute, and yeah, I orgasm every time.

16. Schou81

Schou81 Member

Fender Toronado with low output pu's > Rat > Vox AC50 w. 4x12 Wharferdales
    I used this combination for a number of years.
    Well balanced bass/treble that cut through the mix without making ears bleed.

17. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

Zendrive into a clean BF type amp is a thing of aural beauty. The ZD fills in the scooped mids very nicely. Think Robben Ford type tones.

18. saladin

saladin Supporting Member

The Hardwire SC-2 and CM-2 sound great thru the clean channel of both Peavey and old Lab Series solid state amps.

19. garret

garret Member

I'm experimenting with a few right now, mostly older pedals through a JTM50 clone.

Boss SD-1: Probably my least favorite, just sounds thin compared to the rest.
    Digitech Bad Monkey: Surprisingly good pedal, especially at this price. Treble and bass controls are a huge plus. This pedal will stay on the board.
    Fulltone Fulldrive 2: Like the Boost function, sound is decent, can be set very bright. Not wild about it, but it's an ok pedal. Only one tone knob is the downside.
    Joyo 6 band EQ: does a nice job for dB boosting. A 9 band would be a better choice.
    Boss DS-1: distortion pedal, and absolutely hate it. Did I say I hated it? Really hate it.
    Wampler Sovereign: Fairly rich and full sounding. Lots of gain on tap to an excessive degree. But it is a really good pedal.
    Boss Metal Zone MT-2 (I think): This was a surprise. Nails the early metal stuff all day long with the JTM50 clone. Sounds like crap on a few other amps I've tried. With a Gibson LP Studio, sounds good. With an EMG equipped Schecter tuned down a full step it's just plain sinister. Deep full and very rich.

So goes the tone search......it never ends. :)

20. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I'm a Blackface 6L6 amp fan. Super Reverb, Twin Reverb, Pro Reverb, Bassman (head), etc.

I've had good luck with the wide palette of pedals through both singles and humbuckers.