Drive Pedals with Clean channel??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Will Nova, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Will Nova

Will Nova Member

Hi guys. I'm running a BBE green screamer and a nodded TS9 into a 90s Blues Deluxe. The Deluxe has a clean channel and a Drive channel...
    I just got the BBE so I'm trying something new: Keeping the Clean as my base tone and then using the BBE as a Boost and the TS9 as the High Gain...it seems "clearer"...but harder to get feedback... How do you guys stack or add your gains, fuzz or distortion? Thanks! Justin

2. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I like going low gain into high gain. My first gain stage is set for a edge of break up sound. The second stage is set for a gain and volume boost and is my base rhythm tone. My third drive is set for even more gain and volume and I use it for bridge sections of songs or loud sections. if I need to be louder than that, I just kick on my clean boost which is at the end of my drive chain.

3. Will Nova

Will Nova Member

So you are going Clean into 3 separate Drive pedals?

4. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

"Published" rule of thumb is to start with highest gains first. Low gain later in line serve as a boost. Having lower gain first will make your high gains dirtier when stacked. I personally like lower gains first.

5. jordane93

jordane93 Member

That is correct. 4 if you count my boost pedal.

6. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I'm in the same camp... I have 5 in my dirt section:

low > medium > high > muff > boost.

Whichever pedal is last in the chain is the characteristic your tone will take. So if you put low gain last for boost...and it's a tubescreamer, for example, you'll get that mid hump eq and TS flavor when you kick it off after your higher gain pedals before it. Persoanlly, I like higher gain last because of more saturated compressed dirt when hitting it with lower gains first.

7. Will Nova

Will Nova Member

That's really interesting! So all of you guys are going straight clean into your gain pedals? Or are you putting a clean boost in front?

8. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Some people put a clean boost in front of their drive pedals to push them harder but I prefer my clean boost to be a clean boost. It's at the end of my drive chain for a straight volume boost with minimum gain added.