1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Drives help! Fulldrive, Eternity, Zendrive, OCD, Tube Zone, Hotcake, RC

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benbenben, Jan 10, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

Dilemma!

I currently own the OCD, Fulldrive 2 (mosfet 20th anni), Hotcake, Tubezone and the RC. I've just got an email saying my Zendrive is ready and a friend has just got me intriuged by the Eternity....

I'm waiting for the MI Audio Revelation amp to be ready so I'm really wanting to reduce my drives section for the sake of space and money.... What dya think i should get rid of? I've not played a Zendrive or Etenity before but I can see that they are well loved. I'm definitely keeping the RC cause i got a copper one and it looks good.. Oh yeh.. it's a decent clean boost too..

That said... What's left is the Tube Zone, The FD2, the OCD, and the Hotcake. The FD2 and OCD sees a lot of use. I'm really loving them for what they do. The FD2 for when i need a bit of edge to cut through. Very versatile for me and reacts well with my tele. The OCD for me when i need more crunch and i stack with the FD2 for my main lead tone.

The Tube Zone, i was intending to use as a mesa-in-a-box pedal but I hardly use it. So that's gonna be leaving the house. Also, the MI Audio Revelation has a whole section for "american muscle tones".

What about the hotcake. Would this have an comparisons or similiarities with the E or the Zen? IF i were to get an E and have my Zen. Would you guys recommend keeping the OCD, FD2 and Hotcake.. keeping in mind I'm gonna have a very versatile amp that'll handle cranked marshall tones along with heavier 'modern american' tones?

2. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Sounds like for you the "FD2 and OCD get a lot of use, and your loving them for what they do". Then that is settled...keep them. As for the others if you like them and have use for them then keep them too, perhaps they may come in handy if you do much recording. If they just don't do it for you then dump them. This is something only you can truly answer

3. Ryan

Ryan Member

No, do not listen to JUSTJOB. Only TGP can answer this for you. I am the self-nominated, self-appointed mouthpiece of the collective wisdom of TGP in this circumstance. Dump the FD2 for the E, dump the OCD for the Z, sell the HC and RC to fund the MIA-R. Then use the O on your new A for the sounds of the E and the Z and sell them too. If you have any spare C left over from this latest S for T, you'll be one lucky SOB. ;)

4. benbenben

benbenben Member

I really do wanna do that, but TGP stops me from doing so. I'm so -wanting- the E but I need funds. Plus, there are other things i gotta pay such as paying the insurance for my car :(

5. benbenben

benbenben Member

that took me SO long to decipher and even then. I'm still confused...
    So you're saying when i do get the MI Amp... I won't need the E or the Zen?

6. Ryan

Ryan Member

Hahaha, dude, I'm makin a joke. Trust your ears over a message board. ;)

7. benbenben

benbenben Member

Yeh, I understand, but this board has helped me make a lot of decisions over the past. Being located in one of the smaller capitals of Australia, the shops here stink. I rather not get pedals in shipped with a lot of mystery around them before i find i do/don't like em. This board helps me to clear the mist a little before i pull the trigger.

Basically.. right now.. It's a Blues Junior, and i run a Tele and a Paul, the Blues Jnr is gonna be sold for a MI Audio Rev. and will get a strat soon..

I just want a bit of help in regards to. If i have a Zen and an E. How much use will a fd2, OCD and a hotcake be to me, keeping in mind that the MI Audio Rev. has many different channels and modes. I'm thinking of keeping the Zen, the E and the Hotcake. Selling the FD2 and the OCD.

8. Ryan

Ryan Member

Ok, my serious opinion, then:

Good call and getting rid of the BJ. It's a nice little amp, but I'm sure the Rev will blow it away.

I've had the FD2, OCD, HotCake, and Zen. I've not owned an E, but I've played one before. Of those, I liked the Fulltones the best. IMHO, YMMV, etc, you'll be good with the FD2 and the OCD. If you like them with the BJ, you'll probably like what they do with a bigger amp. So, I would say keep those and sell the rest. Or, if you've just got to have the flavor of the month, go with the Zen and E combo. You can't really go wrong with either. So, what it really comes down to is can you be content with what you've got? But then again, if you never try the Zen and E, you'll never know...

9. benbenben

benbenben Member

Ahh okay.. Yeh thank works for me.. I'll see how the Zen is when it comes.. I'll have to make a decision then to see whether i want to go through with the E or not....

10. Frethog

Frethog Member

What Ryan is really saying is that pretty soon, everybody will chime in with their own preferences and you'll be more confused than before you posted.

You will also get roasted for not telling us what guitar you prefer (which is kinda valid...except the roasting part...).

I love my Zendrive, but it's less aggressive than what I might consider 'modern American' tones. Perhaps we have different definitions of that.

Good luck.

11. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I have a FDIIMosfet and an Eternity and really they are both very similar.
    I keep them both because I dig stacking the two for a high gain creamy tone.
    The Zendrive is very cool but more of a low to mid gain. If you are digging the FD into the OCD I don't see why you need to change things up.
    Otherwise you'll end up like me with way too many OD's on two pedalboards and half the time the stages are only big enough for one.
    Bottom line is there are so many OD's available you need to find out what works for you and stick with it. Now if I could only listen to my own advice!

12. rewog

rewog Member

NO... the Hotcake has nothing in common with the Eternity or the Zen... but the FD2 does.

If you like the Hotcake, keep it.. it's a totally unique pedal.

13. benbenben

benbenben Member

I'm a little bit confused at what people use their Zens and E's for. From what I've read.. the Zen's a great "solo" pedal and the E is great for chords? If that's the case, would a Timmy be of any use? I've got a timmy on the way but I've got a hotcake as well. Might ditch the hotcake for the timmy. Where would the Timmy sit in with a Zen and an E?

14. sgs

sgs Member

I'll add a little more to the confusion :) I like my Zen for rhythm and solos. Also... if you crank the gain up it'll definitely rock. I use the volume knob on my guitar to differentiate between rhy/lead. Turn the volume down... it cleans up a bit... crank it up and you're ready to wail!

15. TimH

TimH Member

I've owned every pedal you've mentioned at one time or another. Here is my take on it:

FD2 Mos, E, and Zen are somewhat similar in my experience. I've decided to land on the FD2 because it's the most versatile in a live setting. The E is a cool pedal and exceles at med-high gain tones IMHO. However, to my ear it was not significantly better than most other TS type pedals (yes I know it's not a TS clone but, to my ear, it's very TS-ish). The Zendrive is certainly more different but again, very limited in it's sweet spot. If you particularly want a great sounding low OD lead pedal than the Zen will do that for you. However, the Zen is not a great rhythm pedal in my mind...it's too stiff for that kind of thing.

Between the RC, FD2 and OCD I think you'll cover all the tones you want. The Hotcake is also cool but I think despite it's difference in sound it covers the same practical ground as the OCD or at least it would on my board. So decide which of this two you like (or keep 'em both), ditch the TZ and sell the Zen when you get it. That's my opinion, YMMV of course and probably you'll decide to try 'em all and lose some money in the process...we all do it so I don't expect you'll be any more practical than the rest of us ;)

16. benbenben

benbenben Member

Ahh okay.. Thanks for that.. What about the Timmy?

I'm got people interested in the OCD and the fulldrive for the price at which i got it for. And I'm not buying the Zen or the E at inflated prices. So i'll see. I'm just being a stupid curious little dweeb who wants different pretty stompboxes every 2 seconds.

17. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

Dude, listen carefully because this is important. Everyone has their favorite pedals, which is to be expected. Variety is the spice of life. The problem is that all these pedals REACT DIFFERENTLY TO DIFFERENT AMPS AND WITHIN DIFFERENT PEDAL CONFIGURATIONS. I happen not to care for Fulltone dirt pedals, but I suspect this is because I favor AC-30 style el84 amps.

In any case, don't let anyone tell you what sounds good. Get some "mates"--the down-under vernacular--and have them help you do a blind test with the various options. And throw in a non-boutique cheapy just to make things interesting. I'll bet you're surprised by the results.

18. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've had the E and the FDII for a while now and if I had to pick one or the other I'd go with the FDII. It is much more versatile and can get a range of sounds whereas the E has that one sound at different gain levels. Plus the FDII goes for $160 whereas the E's go for around $300. Why pay twice as much for something that does half of what the FD does? I do like my Eternity but it seems to cut alot of my low end off compared to the FDII. Of course, you probably need to just do what you want to do and figure it out for yourself or you'll always wonder "what if?"