drives on the GT100

Dorianrock

Hi Guys! I've been using the Boss GT100 in the 4 cable method for a while now and I'm quite happy with it. I decided that it might be nice to use an easier setup using a 2 cable method straight into the input of my amp. After I've dialed in a decent clean sound on the amp, I tried running many of the OD Distortion options. But they all tend to sound too bright! I even knock the Tone knob down but I can't get the high brightness out. I can use the EQ or patch EQ to tame the brightness, but I plan on going from clean to overdrive using the same patch. While I could assign the OD and EQ to the same button, I usually use the EQ as a volume/mid boost.

What kind of settings to you use on your overdrive? What Overdrives are you using? So far I found that I like the rat, OD-1, and turbodrive most

alp

I've found the OD-1, TS and Warm Overdrive models work good as i run the unit as a regular pedalboard. You can tweak extra stuff to tame high-end on the Custom OD also. However, now i use my beloved drive boxes in the loop and get everything else from the GT100 (comp, wah, delays, modulations, etc.). IMO, GT drives has the right eq balance and touch sensitivity, attack response of the analog drives but doesn't have the musicality of the real thing (and this is the case with most of the today's modelers in my experience, they sound and respond like the real thing but doesn't feel as musical).

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
I use the GT-100 with my Mesa DC-5 and don't experience the drives being too bright and if anything I have to turn the bass down a little. I just picked up a Fender HRDX and do experience brighter OD/Dist with it. On the amp I dialed the treble back to about 3 and it helped but most effective has been post EQ. You can still use the EQ for a volume mid boost. I leave mine on and have one of my external ctl's set via assigns to increase the EQ level by 3-4 db while sometimes making an assign to increase the mids some.

What amp do you use?

MJ Slaughter

Silver Supporting Member
IMO, GT drives has the right eq balance and touch sensitivity, attack response of the analog drives but doesn't have the musicality of the real thing (and this is the case with most of the today's modelers in my experience, they sound and respond like the real thing but doesn't feel as musical).
I agree. When playing at home I like using analog drive boxes but for gigging it's the GT for the convenience. It doesn't sound bad, OD/Dist, just not a nice as analog equivalent but on a gig it just doesn't matter much to me. I want to focus on the performance and not tap dancing. That's been my experience for any digital MFX drives I've used.

stratoskier

OP -- I use a different GT (not GT100), but did you experiment with the output select choice? Sending the GT output into the front end will generally require a different setting than when using the 4 cable method with output entering effects return. (Perhaps someone else can elaborate on what the options are called in the GT100).

Dorianrock

I have played around with the output settings but they don't seem to make enough difference. Im using a traynor ycs90 with the presence and treble at noon.. I have a few stomps that I really should try just to compare

gumtown

Does yours have a "Voice" switch which bypasses the presense and resonace controls?
Otherwise turn the presense and resonance right down to flat.