1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Drivetrain 2....do all tubescreamers have the same tight low-end?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Paul Conway, May 15, 2011.

1. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I have three OD/distortion pedals - a Drivetrain 2, old Marshall Guv'nor and a Timmy. Rig is strat into Carr Rambler......

The Guv'nor is it's own thing, I guess, but neither it nor the Timmy works well with the bottom end of my rig. The Timmy, for example, doesn't stay tight enough on the low-E. However, my old Drivetrain 2 works extremely well in this configuration.

My question is this: is this typical for a tubescreamer derivative? (The only other one I've tried was a Bad Monkey, and it didn't really do that. In fact, I didn't like it at all...)

Thanks

2. vindrewski

vindrewski Member

Most screamers/derivatives I've played almost completely lack bottom end, which helps get rid of the flubbiness when hitting a dirty amp.

3. erksin

erksin Member

The DT2 is a killer pedal and it has about the best low end retantion of any TS I've played save for the MI Audio Blue Boy.

Quit looking - you've found it!

4. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I had a BB deluxe once....didn't like it nearly as much as the DT2....sounded 'small' by comparison....

Actually, as the DT2 is out of production, I'm looking for something to substitute for it for gigging....

5. BiNGEaNiNjA

BiNGEaNiNjA Member

Get a Rockett pedals flex drive. You can keep the low end or cut it.

6. drolling

drolling Member

IMO, it's one of the best tubescreamers out there ~ and they are legion

A tad too big for my board, tho'. And I actually prefer the sound of my MJM Blues Devil, the best of the 808 clones (again, just MO)

They're both out of production, tho' MJM has recently released the Phantom, which is a new version of the BD

As others have noted, the TS doesn't have much bass to start with; What you've got is pretty much as good as it gets. But if you could get your hands on an MJM, you might like it even better

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I'd love to know what people think of the recent Visual Sound 'reissue'....

8. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I was also interested in this, but I haven't heard good things. Seems like people say they don't sound the same.

9. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

Love my Drivetrain II... I wonder how much of this is just built into the fact that it has separate Bass and Treble controls.

10. tostyj

tostyj Member

I'll hop on the wagon: the Drivetrain II is awesome. I loved the way it sounded with my old Pro Reverb. I recently sold the Pro and picked up a Two Rock Onyx (this amp has absolutely floored me) and the Drivetrain sounded good pushing the amps lead channel, but I would lose some of the touch that makes the amp great. Well today I called MXR because whenever I would turn on my Carbon Copy (which is in the effects loop) I'd get a noticable boost in volume that I didn't want. They said it might be an impedance issue so try throwing a pedal with buffered bypass in front of the delay. I placed the DT in front of the CC and it solved the problem.

Anyway, the unexpected bonus was that through the fx loop with the gain set low and the EQ set different it sounds KILLER as a boost for the lead channel or an alternate drive when used with the clean channel while still retaining the touch sensitive character of the amp. This was the exact opposite of all the things I had read about placing an OD pedal in an fx loop. Go figure.

Why not buy another Drivetrain II? They pop up from time to time on ebay.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  11. mjcyates

mjcyates Member

I used to own a Drivetrain II and stupidly sold it. Great pedal. I bought one of the reissues and my memory tells me that it is just as good as the original that I had.

12. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Silver Supporting Member

Finally....... another voice of reason! Thank You!

The Analogman TS9DX does not do that either. It's a superb piece of modded pedal.