Driving myself nuts finding the perfect guitar - Help appreciated

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by yell03, Dec 16, 2017.

1. yell03

yell03 Member

There are better ways of putting that that don't sound condescending, but I do understand your point.

I currently still have my Martin GPCRSGT, it just plays so well I figure it will be great for traveling around.
    Amazon cancelled the order on the Gibson Songwriter as they could not get it in stock, so I substituted it with a Gibson J-15 for a lot less money.

I qualify the J-15 as a real guitar, basically a J-45 in walnut.
    I also bought a Gibson HP415w, not a classic like a J-45 or a Martin D-18, but a great player with nice tone.

The HP415w is basically the same guitar, but it has a cutaway and a shallower 4" body depth.
    I bought both guitars new for a total of $1500 out of pocket thanks to my Amazon Rewards points.
    The HP415w I bought at a local Music Store for $1100, it just was so good I couldn't walk away.

Here are some pics

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift...tyT-wuKEq-GleLeMg/AUS/27947245571070/SNAPFISH

2. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

This might be a bit outside your total budget, but it is an exceptional guitar. Yamaha LL36, hand built in the Hamamatsu custom shop.

73171 likes this.
  3. yell03

yell03 Member

Right now I am at a crossroads...

I can return my Martin GPCRSGT and trade up for the USA Martin GPCPA4.
    I like that body style, it is very comfortable.

One thing holding me back is...

While the GPCPA4s I have played project better, they do not play as well as the GPCRSGTs I have played. They are stiffer to play if that makes sense.
    I have played a few of each. The GPCRSGT is lighter and more effortless to play.

Also, my GPCRSGT has a warm woody tone that I have not found in other GPCRSGTs or GPCPA4s.

I did own the dreadnought version, the DCPA4. It was a really nice guitar and projected well and had great lows, but again, my GPCRSGT played better and had a distinct warm and woody tone that the USA versions did not have.

The USA versions are louder and have better lows and highs, but do not have that warm tone.

Most likely I will keep the GPCRSGT, I am very happy with it and it is the 1st guitar I grab for.

4. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

Keep your Martin - you obviously like it. If someone tells you to get a ‘real guitar’ ignore that completely. The J-15 is a cool guitar! Report back once you have it and let us know what you think of it.

5. yell03

yell03 Member

The J-15 is really nice, sounds amazing, I am learning to live without the cutaway, but I did buy a Gibson HP415w, very similar to the J-15, but slimmer 4" depth and a cutaway.

Went out today to Guitar Center and Sam Ash...

Played many different guitars...

I played their examples of my current Martin GPCRSGT, Gibson J-15 and Gibson HP415w

Also played the Martin DCRSGT (dreadnought version of my guitar), DCPA4 (usa dread), GPCPA4 (usa version of my guitar), Martin DRS2, Martin GPCRSG, and a Martin D28.

Played a Gibson J-45 (with and without cutaway) and a Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio EC.

I have decided to keep my Martin, out of every Martin I have played it is my favorite. I will say the dread version DCRSGT was pretty nice also, but I still like mine better and they are so close I don't need both.

My J-15 sounded and played better than the store example as did my HP415w.

The J-45s were nice, but not any nicer than my current Gibsons, they have a warmer tone than the J-15, but the HP415w does also.

At this point I think I have 3 nice guitars and while I will still look, I don't feel the need to buy a higher priced guitar.

big jilm likes this.
  6. Matt McGriff

Matt McGriff Member

Just play! I know how you feel but you will drive yourself crazy trying to find a “perfect” guitar. The guitars you have are fine. Enjoy them.

justabubba likes this.
  7. yell03

yell03 Member

Easier said than done, but I will try.

8. big jilm

big jilm Supporting Member

I have come to believe that there is no perfect guitar - no ‘the one’. I think you just have to find one you like and MAKE it ‘the one’.

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

big jilm likes this.
  10. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Sounds like you've honed in on what you want. The only other suggestion I was going to make, even though you're not a Taylor guy, is the 526ce (cutaway/electric) or 526e (electric, no cutaway). That is their all-mahogany line, and I find them to be rich, warm and full sounding. There is a 32X series as well, not quite as nicely appointed (IMO), but also sound great. Something about the 526 (or 524, if you prefer that size) hit me every time I play one. If you find your current choices aren't working for you, maybe give that a shot. Otherwise, Stonebridge is another brand that I didn't see mentioned, beautifully built, amazing guitars. Meanwhile, enjoy what you have, and make great music!

11. yell03

yell03 Member

What if I have 3? lol

I have tried so many Taylors, just can't bond with one, yet

mikealpine likes this.
  12. mikealpine

I know, lol. I just found the 524 and 526 to be different, but Taylor may just not be in your DNA. If you can find some higher end Eastman acoustics, or as someone else suggested, Larrivee, you might bond more with one of those. As I mentioned, if you can find a local dealer with Stonebridge guitars, those are also stellar.

13. yell03

yell03 Member

Thanks, if I don't bond with my J-15 will look in to them

14. mikealpine

I hope you do bond with it, though. It's really nice to pick up a guitar that kind of feels like "home". I have a very old Takamine acoustic, bought it for $279, or something like that, back in 1979, and it is a joy to play. If it had a pickup, I would probably use it more often when playing out. The one I take out of the house, though, is my Rainsong H-OM. It is a great sounding guitar, and I absolutely love the fact that it is pretty much impervious to temp and humidity. Is it the "best" sounding guitar? Not really, though as I said, is is very good, especially when amped through my Fishman Artist. But a buddy has a very old guild that he beats the heck out of, and that thing sounds killer! Anyway, how the J-15 works out!

15. yell03

yell03 Member

My Martin GPCRSGT for $999 new is like that.
    Just the most comfortable and effortless guitar to play with a warm and woody tone.