Driving Slowly in the Fast Lane - REDUX

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by phoenix 7, Jun 24, 2019.

Driving slowly in the left lane: what's up with that?

1. It's the favorite pastime of miserable passive aggressive types

6 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. They're inconsiderate space cadets who fail to fully grasp that anyone besides them truly exists

38 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. They are distracted by cell phone call (in which a family member is probably describing their lunch)

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. They are old/mentally damaged people who have no idea what is going on and shouldn't be driving

2 vote(s)
    1.5%
  5. Combination of all the above

77 vote(s)
    56.6%
  6. Other - please specify

10 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

Oh gawd, yes. Unfortunately much of I-5 through central California is just two lanes in either direction. That used to drive me nuts when I was traveling between SF and LA.

Laurence, sundog964 and sacakl like this.
  2. Timcito

Timcito Member

Yikes!

3. Roark

Roark Member

Man, that's just as dangerous as people driving trucks with nothing in the bed!

PLX likes this.
  4. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Wow, glad you could avoid wrecking the car and getting seriously hurt. Sounds like a real psychopath. I wonder how many people that guy might have killed.

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

You should get pulled over for telling that joke.

:mad::D

Sidmore, StanG, Mngwa and 2 others like this.
  6. drewl

drewl Member

I like to swoop in on slow left laners in attack formation rapidly firing my high beams only wishing they were photon torpedoes shredding the slow vehicle to bits while blowing through the wreckage.

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

When the legislators debate these speed limits, there's constant discussion of the "lowest common denominator" and how the limit must be dumbed down to cope with the people who are sleepy; whose car is a repaired wreck going sideways down the road, and the driver who just fought with his wife and whose hands are bouncing off the steering wheel in rage. Just like all the goofy warnings that "things are closer than they appear". Cops want and they deserve "leverage" so they have the means to deal with drivers who are basically unsafe at any speed. There's 10,000 factors which go into the decision as to what limit to post, and your stubborn refusal to consider this leaves me flummoxed.

Are you trying to tell me the thousands of police officers that've watched me go by at 10+ mph over the limit are corrupt or aren't doing their duty? Scout's Honor this is not hyperbole. And when cops are headed out on routine business and they pass the rest of us going 100 mph that they're raving psychos? You've simply got to know none of those things are true. Nobody is at serious risk so long as ALL the drivers simply stay over the wheel and maintain their vehicles and go see the doctor when they don't feel well. And don't drive if they're too angry to see straight. That's why there's speed limits around the USA that are far, far in excess of 70 mph. You seem like a nice guy, but you've got your head buried in the sand and we're getting impatient with you.

8. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Almost always under construction. I wondered if I might end up under one of those huge trailer loads of garlic or green tomatoes.

Seriously, what I watched for the most were those sandstorms. Those really kept me off the roads - those could be awful.

Laurence likes this.
  9. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

It’s totally acceptable for me to drive on a good surface rather than a damaged one anytime. You think I’m going to tear up my vehicle so you can go 90 on the highway?

You’re not that important.

I don’t cruise the left lane. I drive the left lane when conditions demand it. Your “sense” is faulty.

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I feel bad for you, that your roads are a mess and you think it is my fault. With all due respect.

I use a section of US 72 near Iuka, MS and there it is customary if you use the left lane, to assume the speed of the fastest vehicle (and it usually isn't me). But it sounds like the section of roadway I'm complaining about is not bad next to what you accept up there. Anyway, everyone knows KC is a grid - there's always an alternate route. You're putting yourself first and honestly, that's not how I drive. And not the way most Americans drive in fact. Everybody gets respect from me if there's any way I can manage it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  11. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

I know I’m not going to get through to you,but here goes.

Why do you expect me to purposefully damage my vehicle, so you can go faster?

Just that. Nothing else. That’s the only point I’ve made and you make me out to be a selfish asshole because I won’t submit to your way of thinking.

And no, there are parts that don’t have very good alternative routes, but then “everyone” doesn’t know that.

12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

"We?"

13. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

[​IMG]

14. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

It is ironic you saying someone else is not that important while being willing to gum up the system for everyone else for your own preference for a slightly smoother ride (caused by people using the highway as intended and resulting in more wear in the non-passing lanes). I'm betting "tear up your vehicle" is quite a stretch.
    I guess you are just that important and we're lucky to have you here.

Artemis Fowl likes this.
  15. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

You’re right. That’s exactly what I’m saying.

I move to the left lane to avoid a quarter or half mile of horrible highway because I’m just that important.

I’m glad you called me out.

16. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

While i'm still questioning "horrible", I will say that if those are really the only times you do it, you are not the problem.

17. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

When you see the locals bail into the left lane en masse, it’s horrible. Missouri has one of the *******st highway departments in the country.

It’s keystone cops bad. All the best, have a great day!

Laurence likes this.
  18. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

had this issue on Sat, had a 2 hour drive to pick up our new puppy, i just don't think some people know how to drive!

19. Ltsft

Ltsft Supporting Member

Fair enough, and you as well :beer

20. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

My wife and kids are left lane people. I try to correct them but they yell at me and say I have left lane issues :bonk

Drives me nuts :omg