...Drooooooone...

PhuzzphayzZ

THIS thing is kiiinda cool:

I also know of the DroneThing... kinda want...

I can also Loop drones with all the Looping capability I now have...

I have pedals, like the EQD SeaMachine, that can drone on pretty well all by them selves, self-oscillating to their heart's content without getting out of control...

Drones, maaaan,...hey, are you gonna pass that thing or what...

Love those big sci-fi sweeps!
It’s like all the good sci-fi soundtracks in a single box.

I kinda like those other droney effects like Drone Thing, Drone Commander, etc, and think they’re cool, but not sure I’d be able to put them to good use in a musical context. Fun to “space out” with, under the right circumstances, haha.

Drone Rainger I could DEFINITELY get some good use from. For everything else droney, I can just use the freeze/hold function on a pedal that has that feature.

Or go old school and just keep hitting that low string, lol.

Edit~ Thought about it a little more, and I COULD use something like the Drone Commander musically, in certain ways.

But it’s like $400, so.... no.

Last edited:

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Gold Supporting Member
Next up, euro-rack components.
Almost srs.

I mean, if it was me, I'd start with a versatile mega-pedal like an Echolution Deluxe, then I'd start throwing things in it's loops... y first would be a mixer pedal so yo can fade in/out various effects, then start adding in things like compressors (for sustain), fuzz, ramp-generators (or other waveforms).... and a midi-controlled Graph-EQ so you can have some big, long LFO-driven EQ shifts going on... most of this stuff you probably already have.

I dunno, Im off by a mile, I'm sure,
I can't keep up with my acquaintance over an Immigrant Breast Nest.
All my drone-cells are still echoing the **** I heard at that Tangerine Dream concert, bitd.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Silver Supporting Member
THIS thing is kiiinda cool:

I also know of the DroneThing... kinda want...

I can also Loop drones with all the Looping capability I now have...

I have pedals, like the EQD SeaMachine, that can drone on pretty well all by them selves, self-oscillating to their heart's content without getting out of control...

Drones, maaaan,...hey, are you gonna pass that thing or what...
Motor City Guitars on Reverb is selling the Drone Rangers for $299..... what a sound...sounds...great song intro piece for me.....

Flouncingfleasbag

Supporting Member
Phuzz= no stoned left unturned

Or he's drone it again

I feel like you are the undisputed master of finding all the gas of all the varieties... hahahha

I was perfectly happy until this thread. Set not to spend any money for long times.

Rainger makes the coolest stuff, I only have his Reverb X but mega huge love for it and all the stuff he creates.

Carry on. Ugh.

lost sailor

That sounds cool. I like it....but I have a mooer ocean machine that can do a few things like that -- fill the room with sound and play on top of what's happening

PhuzzphayzZ

It’s like all the good sci-fi soundtracks in a single box.

I kinda like those other droney effects like Drone Thing, Drone Commander, etc, and think they’re cool, but not sure I’d be able to put them to good use in a musical context. Fun to “space out” with, under the right circumstances, haha.

Drone Rainger I could DEFINITELY get some good use from. For everything else droney, I can just use the freeze/hold function on a pedal that has that feature.

Or go old school and just keep hitting that low string, lol.

Edit~ Thought about it a little more, and I COULD use something like the Drone Commander musically, in certain ways.

But it’s like $400, so.... no.
I'm thinking a low 'E' drone... that way I can just hit that 'C' chord every time I want that little bit of "Em-C" feeling... but, I don't see how ya can't just let a low 'E' dronish thing bubble and percolate in the background whilst one does their best apocalyptic 20min buildup...

The Rainger seems waaay Moar... I was actually not sure what the drone was I was hearing...

The DroneThing has like 6 individual Pitch thingys, but I can't remember them going looooooow...

I'd probably look for a Rainger+DroneThing, but, THAT doesn't seem to exist!

Yea, what a can o' worms I've opened up...tsk tsk tsk...

drbob1

Silver Supporting Member
Some interesting alternatives:

The Pigtronix Resotron has an Oscillation button that essentially turns it into a drone generator. More interestingly, if you use an expression pedal with the envelop set to "pitch" you can vary the pitch of the drone, but have it come in/out with your strings-so it's both chaotic and tuned.

Any of the freeze/loop pedals can be used for drones. It's particularly worth thinking about the CT5 since there's a new software version that includes essentially 3 CT5 v.1 pedals in series with feedback, which can make for some complex drones. And of course the Plus pedal makes drone envelopes really easy to do.

It's certainly quite soothing to a certain Phuzzy... very thought provoking item...
Yes, I agree. Very thought provoking, and lots of potential in some imaginative hands.

I love how the LED window shows part of the circuitry integrated into a 1:1780 scale scene of a “dystopian city”. There’s roads, and a parking lot, with all the little resistors as “cars”, lol. Just a super-cool looking pedal, all around. Seven-sided?! o_O :aok

And I totally concur with @Flouncingfleasbag, Rainger FX everything is dope. He doesn’t make ANYTHING that’s already out there. Everything is something original and unique in some way, and never been done quite like that before.

As you noted earlier, the sound of the drone is very sci-fi sounding, and has a very synth-like, sweeping quality to it’s voice. Some of the tones by other drone makers sound very flat and monotonous in comparison.

The delay helps, and there’s some subtle chorusing happening for a little movement, but it’s still a good square-wavish, zippery, synthy fundamental at the core. More of a ‘zzzzzzzz’ or ‘vvvvvvv’, than a ‘ooooooo’ or ‘eeeeeee’ (Boy, don’t I sound cool, lol).

I dig it.

jrockbridge

I do something similar with my EHX Freeze pedal. But, for my taste, I don’t hear enough movement in the drone clips above.

With my freeze, I add some dramatic movement to the drone sound with an effect, or multiple effects, after the Freeze. One of my favorites is to add tremolo after the freeze because it gives a sense of lots of movement. But, other modulation effects also work well, vibe, chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary, etc. Adding delay is often the icing on the cake.

I might use those effects more subtle with traditional playing but with a drone, somehow adjusting the FX mix high works best. Then, playing modes over the drone is the ticket.

kramm47

Supporting Member
I do something similar with my EHX Freeze pedal. But, for my taste, I don’t hear enough movement in the drone clips above.

With my freeze, I add some dramatic movement to the drone sound with an effect, or multiple effects, after the Freeze. One of my favorites is to add tremolo after the freeze because it gives a sense of lots of movement. But, other modulation effects also work well, vibe, chorus, phaser, flanger, rotary, etc. Adding delay is often the icing on the cake.

I might use those effects more subtle with traditional playing but with a drone, somehow adjusting the FX mix high works best. Then, playing modes over the drone is the ticket.
I'll use my looper in a similar fashion. I'll loop a drone and put a bunch of effects after it. Haven't tried tremolo yet, but I'm going to now. I like running a single note from my looper into my Hedra and manipulating on the fly - it can get pretty wild. Add a few more time based effects after and I've made 15 minute pieces sitting on the floor!

The thing about the Drone Rainger thing is I can see it being very useful in live performance. And you can still run effects after the drone for more movement!

I've been thinking it's about time for a Freeze...

Trending Topics