Drop in replacement for Floyd Rose II?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by maccampbells, Aug 20, 2008.

1. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

I need (want) to replace the FRII bridge on my strat. The baseplate is stripped on the low E which makes it difficult to intonate, plus some of the little blocks that clamp the strings in the saddles have to be pushed back with a screwdriver to get the string in. It's just time.

I'd like to get the speed loader type, but have zero experience with them.

Any recomendations under $150?

2. Dave L

Dave L Member

I´m not sure there´s a Speedloader version to retrofit the Schaller/FRII, considering the route is a bit different from the OFR... but you could buy a new Schaller baseplate for something like 50 bucks, clean and oil up the saddles to reduce the binding of the little blocks and probably be good to go. That´s what I´ve had to do with my Schallers, and it´s worked fine. Might be worth a shot.

3. andygio

andygio Member

4. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

I heard of the site you can get the baseplates, but can't seem to rememeber of find it. As I recall there was only one site that is the authorized reseller?

5. Dave L

Dave L Member

I had the same trouble finding them, and I eventually found them at rockinger.de

I didn´t look in the States, though, so I guess there might be some retailer over there as well.

6. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

Score! How much is 21,90 euros in US dollars? $32.00

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  7. vds5000

vds5000 Member

Wouldn't oiling the saddle to reduce the binding of the little blocks cause the strings to slip? I normally take the blocks out, and just lightly rub the 4 sides of each block with '0000' steel wool. I also clean the inside of each saddle (where the blocks sit) with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol.

8. Dave L

Dave L Member

I suppose it might theoretically cause slippage, but I´ve never had any trouble. Your way probably works at least as good!