Dropped off guitar for repair and store has shut down

kcook301

Ohhhh boy. Here it goes. I don't know if this post classifies as stolen or lost gear yet so we'll see what happens, but here we go. So about two months ago I dropped off my partscaster at a store to have a rolling nut installed. I figured it would take maybe a week or two to install, their store isn't super backed up. Two months goes by and I'm wondering what the hell is taking so long. If it was a Floyd Rose install or something I'd be more forgiving. I called them about a week ago and it sounded like the phone had been disconnected. I tried to drop by the store, but something came up and I couldn't make it to the store. A week passes with no call. I drop by the store today and realize that the store is up for lease. What the hell. So I left a message for two of the realtors to see what might be going on.
Best case scenario is that the guitar is kept untouched in the store or something. Doubtful, but I can hope. I do not know if I have the small receipt from that particular transaction, but I do know the repair tag has my name and phone number on it. Plus, I could provide receipts and proof for most of the parts added to my guitar; like the after-market neck for example. Has anyone run into this problem before? I'm scrambling to find an answer and I'm also going to post on the Nashville Gear Trader Facebook page to see what's up. How screwed am I?

swiveltung

Any chance you can determine who the owner is? Give them a call, maybe he'll do the right thing. I've heard of people losing stuff (non musical) at repair shops before. I bought two outboard motors at an auction for a place that went out of business. They had repair tags on them and were already repaired I guess as they ran fine. Keep your eyes on the local newspaper for court notices, file a claim.

megaboogie

Silver Supporting Member
I don't think you were dumb waiting 2 months, heck I waited 3 months for a pickup switching not working and they still didn't fix it.
At least they should have called you to pick up the guitar before shutting down their store.
Hopefully you can get a hold of the owner.

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
Rock Block?

They've always done good work for me. I know at least one of their owners is a member here.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Rock Block?

They've always done good work for me. I know at least one of their owners is a member here.
Yes, he should post the name of the business. Maybe someone here knows them so he can contact them.

kcook301

Obviously the store owner has a serious illness and his grandmother died. Do like everybody else on TGP and wait at least a year before raising much of a stink about it. Even then, don't name names or anything like that.
I only posted the name in the event that maybe someone knew someone there or something. They've done great stuff for me in the past so I didn't wanna seem like I was throwing them under the bus.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
If they're closed, throwing them under the bus isn't really much of an issue.

Don't know how to proceed exactly, maybe call the Better Business Bureau and they might steer you to the right consumer protection agency. Good luck.

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
Your county might be different than mine, but this should give you an idea of how you might proceed.

Go to your County Recorder's Office. Ask where and how you research business licenses. Find the store's business license. It should list the owner's name and address, or at least their registered agent's name and address. If they don't list physical addresses, check their names against the real estate tax rolls, and if they own their homes you will find their home addresses.

You may have to ask the employees a lot of questions, but if you act right the people at those offices will usually give you all the help you need.

Get in your car or borrow a car, and pay a visit to the owners, agents, realtors, and everybody else with anything to do with that business.

Pay them a visit. Do not rely on phone calls or any other less intrusive means of contacting these folks. Don't waste time with the Better Business Bureau, or with any government office. The BBB doesn't do anything, and the gov has more important things to do.

If no one is home, leave a written message stating you will return at a specific date and time, and with your contact info.

No one wants to steal your partscaster, but no one cares too much if you get it back or not. A face-to-face visit makes it clear that you should be dealt with, rather than ignored. Face-to-face. You don't need to act like Billy Bad-Ass, but you need to let the right parties know that you want your guitar back. And you know where they live.

They don't want you coming around their house, so it should be easier to just return your guitar.

kcook301

Update: I will be meeting up with someone today about my guitar. It looks like my phone was not receiving any incoming calls from them for whatever odd reason. So it looks like I will be contacting my phone company to see what the deal is. I can absolutely see how this would cause confusion especially when a store is shutting down. I was a little frazzled at this ordeal so my deepest apologies if I seemed frantic. Plus, the geet has a new rolling nut :)

megaboogie

Silver Supporting Member
Good to hear you are getting your guitar back.

It looks like my phone was not receiving any incoming calls from them for whatever odd reason.
You might have accidently put their number to "reject call list" on your setting.

I had the opposite situation back in the 90s. I rented a BC Rich Warlock for a Twisted Sister tribute and the owner of the store died of cancer suddenly and the place shut down. Ran into his partner a while later and he told me not to worry about it. Too bad it was a Warlock and not one of his vintage Fenders. Now I got this Warlock that I never touch.

Dr Doom

Do some detective work and find their personal info and contact info. If that doesn't work call the police

kcook301

I had the opposite situation back in the 90s. I rented a BC Rich Warlock for a Twisted Sister tribute and the owner of the store died of cancer suddenly and the place shut down. Ran into his partner a while later and he told me not to worry about it. Too bad it was a Warlock and not one of his vintage Fenders. Now I got this Warlock that I never touch.
Are you keeping it as a memento?

Trending Topics