DRRI - 2nd time around

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mojoworkin, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Mojoworkin

Mojoworkin Supporting Member

Hi All,

I just acquired a DRRI last weekend. My 2nd time around. What a great amp! FYI - I've had a pretty fair number of boutiques over the last 8-10 years, so I know what a quality tone is. Circumstances had dictated some recent amp changes, and I ended up finding an outstanding deal on a 2-3 y.o. DRRI.

It sounded really excellent as it was, but I retubed it using mostly JJs, with NOS glass in the 2 12AT7 positions - V3 and V6. This amp really exceeds what my expectations were! Also, I primarily use a '57 reissue Strat with Van Zandt True Vintage PUPs. I really like this amp!

Just thought that I would share. Thanks for listening (reading).

2. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

Congrats on your new amp.

Guess DR's are habit forming because I just bought my third SF Deluxe Reverb yesterday.

Enjoy.

TheWayfarer84 likes this.
  3. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I just found and bought a 2012 DRRI. The red wine tolex one. Worked out to about $360 US Funds. I also own a 1966 original Deluxe Reverb. The RI is quite good against it actually. They are decent amps. Gutted the RI to service the pots and found it was easy to work on too.

GWCTN likes this.
  4. GWCTN

GWCTN Member

I have that same red wine tolex DRRI and I thought I got a good deal at about twice what you paid. You got a hell of a deal.

5. JPIndustrie

JPIndustrie Member

sometimes those amps are home...

I've been flirting with a Marshall or Marshall-based amp but sometimes a DRRI + really good dirt pedals is a tough (and VERY LIGHT!) gigging combo to beat...

6. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

There are times I still miss mine and thought of getting another several times.

Leep Dog, Soothsayer and Slevin like this.
  7. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Congrats. I almost traded my '80 Princeton Reverb for one of those wine red Deluxes with an alnico something in it. Last minute, a great deal on a '73 deluxe reverb came up so I bought that and sold the PR instead. Did a little cap service, dropped in a 12F150 and couldn't be happier. I did play a RI as a benchmark to see if I wanted to trade up from the PR. Love princetons but a deluxe is just where it's at.

8. rufedges

rufedges Member

Do you have the bright cap clipped/bright switch? I don't have a DRRI, but have a VS22SC AB763, my bright switch is always on to tame those shrill highs, I don't think I could own the amp without it.

9. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

Nice amps. I've owned two over the years and was very happy with both of them. The last one was a 1st year blonde\wheat that I only sold after buying a 64.

jpage likes this.
  10. jpage

jpage Member

I've always wondered why the modern Fender stuff gets such a bad rap here...I've owned a sh!t ton of amps but never had a problem with a Fender. And they always sound great. And they are cheap. And hold their value well.

Soothsayer likes this.
  11. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

:eek: killer deal

12. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Interesting to hear your comparison. Typically, the DR guys shite all over the DRRI.

No kidding. Would be all over that.

13. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I passed it along to a deserving up comming player. He's learning guitar so I let him have it for my cost. He's doing well and working hard at guitar. I still have my '66 DR so I can't complain.

14. Mojoworkin

No mods. Amp is completely stock. Sounds good at 3, but really comes alive at 4-5.

15. lemonpaul59

lemonpaul59 Member

'65 or '68 Reissue?

16. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Fun amps... and for future reference... if/when you hear an annoying crackle or volume dropout starting, before even checking the tubes, check the stock speaker cable for a short. On the RI, they're pretty light duty and you'll completely overlook it during your cap/tube/pots diagnosis...

17. Mojoworkin

'65 Reissue.

18. Mojoworkin

Funny you should say that. I looked at that cable a number of days ago and it looked a little, as you say, light gauge. I ordered a much better one, and should be receiving it today.

19. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Great amp. I've had 2 DRRI's, a SF, and a 68 custom. Quality sound with all.

20. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

DRRI is one of my fav amps, great consistent tone.