DRRI + 5E3 Live?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tweed335, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Tweed335

Tweed335 Member

Has anyone ran a DRRI for cleans (primarily) and a 5E3 for OD (primarily) as their live rig?

What size venues do/have you used this setup in?

And what style of music do you play with this set up?

I'm about to jam with these guys, and possibly joining their band so I may be gigging soon (finally!). Well, these are my two main amps, and I just love both of them.

Of course, if I was playing a tiny place, I'd probably just take the 5E3, but if it's a decent sized club I have this idea in my head that this would be such an awesome set up. I know the DRRI has a great OD tone, and I know the 5E3 has a blissful clean, so there would be mixing of tones as well, like running both at the same time.

I'm just curious to hear any stories from people who have ran/run this rig.

Thanks

2. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

Certainly two of the best amps IMO for gigging clubs.
    Would sound awesome together on your clean settings but may create a problem if you use overdrive or distortion pedals.....?
    I've found they generally don't like the same pedals.
    Seems the DR likes mid based pedals and the Tweed likes pedals without the mid hump.
    Just my findings.

You can certainly cover blues and rock/classic rock really well with this setup.

3. jdalew619

jdalew619 Member

I've ran a Princeton Reverb and a 5e3, no pedals, ABY pedal. Princeton reverb always on, kicked on 5e3 for leads just like you were saying. Effin awesome. Wasn't miked and was playing a small club. Had just enough juice.

I would say that how you dial it in would depend on your speakers. If you've got a ceramic or loud alnico in your 5e3 I think it might hang with your DRRI's volume better. If you've got a squashy p12Q-like speaker in there like me, you'll definitely have to turn the DRRI down.

I haven't done this more than a couple times, though, so I'm curious how you'll set it up.
    YMMV

4. Tweed335

Tweed335 Member

Well, right now my pedal platform is pretty small:

Boss TU3-> Maxon OD808 <--> Ibanez TS9-> AquaPuss-> Whirlwind A/B/Y--> DRRI & 5E3

Any suggestions on pedal order would be appreciated, I haven't actually ran all of this yet.

But when I've ran my TS9 into the Tweed, it sounds pretty dang good, and the same with TS9->DRRI, but have not run the Pedals-->Amps together. So I don't how if the pedal's EQ'ing would be universal. I think the AquaPuss would be alright with both.

The Maxon is on it's way, I thought the TS9 might be the boost and the Maxon would be the OD.

5. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have a 1964 Deluxe and a 5E3 clone. They do sound very good together.

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

does the DR really have enough extra headroom relative to the Tweed Deluxe to make this work? i have used my 5E3 for smaller clubs thinking it will give me less volume and i was wrong. at appropriate stage volumes it is still in clean range for me and i needed pedals for dirt. 18-20W is still damn loud.

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

A Deluxe Reverb/5E3 combo would be my ideal setup!

8. straightblues

straightblues Member

Well it really depends on how you have each of the amps set up.

Depending on tubes, my 5E3 will start to break up at 3 on the volume knob. If you jumper the channels even with low output preamps, they still break up pretty easy. If you wanted to set up your 5E3 for maximum clean tone, then you might be right.

And again, you can do the same with the Black Face amp. BF amps want to be cleaner by nature, but with the right tubes and speaker, you can get them to overdrive at lower volumes.

But if you want the make this combo work for one clean and one dirty, it is easy to do.