DRRI always fizzy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by omfg51, Apr 24, 2015.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

I've been testing out pedals using a DRRI lately, and I've noticed that any gain pedals coming through sound super fizzy on the top end, unbearably so. Is this always the case? And if so, is it the speaker?

I know the stock ones have the Jensen C12K 100w speaker, I'm wondering if a good speaker replacement would help. I've only heard demos online, but I prefer the sound of the versions with the Jensen P12Q 40w speaker in them.

2. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Stock speaker is nice when it's broken in.

You need to clip the bight cap if it sounds fizzy. Google it. Lots of info on it and real easy to do.

3. Dinosaur Sr.

Dinosaur Sr. Member

Had the same problem with mine until I clipped the bright cap. Try gain pedals in to the "normal" channel (which has no bright cap) to see if it sounds better. The bright cap makes the reverb very trebly at low volumes.

4. Dinosaur Sr.

Dinosaur Sr. Member

The DRRI really should have a bright switch. I know its a reissue, but it would be a much better amp with that one change IMO. Maybe a pull pot on the volume control so it would still look vintage correct.

5. sanrico

sanrico Member

Turn the treble knob down. Seriously. I clipped my bright cap because TGP pretty much commands it, and I really missed the sparkle. I replaced it and really, it's just about the same if you just really back off the treble knob.

I've run a lot of pedals into the DRRI and it loves them. Even my 90's RAT.

6. Uli Jon Blackmore

Uli Jon Blackmore Supporting Member

I am always surprised when I read that people are far more ready to clip an internal component in an amp than they are to live with the idea that one of the tone knobs need to be at 2, or 1, or even off to sound like what they are aiming for. Really, there are unually 10 numbered positions on those knobs, and theoretically innumerable minute adjustments between them, that the manufacturer made just for you to tailor your preferred tone. It is fine if, for you, the best tone is created when the treble or bass knob is almost off, or dimed. Why do people inherently believe that there is something wrong, or something needs to be moded, unless all of the tone knobs are near 5?

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Pedals suck thru the reverb ch. Real fizzy and thin. A tweak of your tone knob ain't gonna do it. It'd be weak. MUCH better Run it thru the normal one and it's way better. I've used one a lot in the last few months. If you like it, there are mods to do. But, even if you clip the cap, that ch. still runs thru the reverb and vibrato circuitry. It loads the signal and it's weaker, so besides the cap, that is another factor that pedals don't work as well in that ch.

There is also a super easy mod to allow the 'verb in the normal ch. But again, it changes it sleightly and it gets a bit weaker compared to stock. What I did is bias it a bit hotter, and run pedals thru normal ch. for best pedal sound.

8. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Any high gained sounds with an amp which has a permanent bright switch always sounds bad IMHO. If I want gain I turn off the bright. Your amp seems to behaving normally.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Not all, I run my Naylor at higher gan settings with a bright switch on all the time, gives it a nice Marshall grind. That amp couldn't get harsh if I tried tho'.

10. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

Agreed on all points. Very useable amp in many settings, but tone knobs are there for a reason.

11. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Just clipped the bright cap on my friends DRRI, WAY better, he likes it a lot. He used to run the bass at 7 or 8 and the treble on 2 or 3. Now it is close to 5 and 5, This amp has PLENTY of treble ,... His dirt pedals sound better now as well. A great mod that costs nothing and is easily reversible. What is there to lose, try it.

12. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

+1 I've done the bright cap clip mod to a couple DRRIs, and it is a must in my opinion, especially if using dirt pedals in the Vibrato channel. Those that say "just turn down the treble" may not realize that the bright cap affects different frequencies (frequencies that turn into "fizz" with distortion) that are not changed as much when turning down the treble. Even Fender's "Custom" 68 DRRI has this mod built in (no treble cap).

13. manasquanto

manasquanto Member

I approached clipping the bright cap in mine with a little trepidation, but it was an easy task and I haven't regretted it. The most difficult part is getting the chassis in and out without messing with the cabinet's shielding too much as it's a pretty tight fit.

14. jammwill

jammwill Member

I have a DRRI and I had the same issue. You have a few options here:

Use the normal channel when you use OD/Dist pedals
    Clip the bright cap
    Turn the volume on the vibrato channel to 5 or above - the bright cap's effect on the sound is minimized at volume 5 or above

I clipped my cap, but ended up putting it back in and just turn up to 5 or above on the normal channel when using OD/Dist pedals. I was playing at this volume most of the time anyway, so it doesn't affect me too much.

Edit: I mean turn the volume on the vibrato channel to 5 or above. :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  15. chistov

chistov Member

I like to run my pedals in the the 2nd input on the reverb channel i find it takes away the fizz a lot. Also i run the treble knob and bass knob at around 5 with my lespaul and tele

16. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

If it has the C12K... that is a clean speaker... not your fizzy problem. Yes check the bias. Get rid of the bright cap too. The DR format generally doesn't go that well with higher gain OD though.... the amp has it's own breakup. I run the OD's at very low gain.
    DR's: anything over ~4 on the bass only adds distortion. Ditto for the Volume control.