1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

DRRI: Bright Cap mod vs. New Speaker???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by auffredou, Jan 13, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

I absolutely love the clean sound of my les paul studio through the vibrato channel in my DRRI. With OD pedals, it gets some of that "buzzing" that everyone seems to talk about due to the bright cap. It sounds OKAY at louder volumes, but is pretty bad at bedroom levels. Im exploring options before going with the bright cap mod. Ive heard a little about speaker changes doing the trick. Does this void the warranty like cutting the bright cap does? I just sent my TS9 in for the silver mod, and Im hoping that by itself will make it sound a little better. Thanks for any help.

2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I like the Weber C 12 n in the DR I had. Seemed to be the perfect upgrade over the old oxford. warmer and sweeter

3. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

If you put a Eminence Wizard or Tonker or Tonkerlite in the DRRI you will not need to do the bright cap mod. I find a speaker upgrade has the most dramatic effect on the sound of an amp followed by new tubes. The DRRI is an excellent amp and sounds great with it's stock circuit.

4. auffredou

auffredou Member

thanks aslan, thats exactly what im looking to do. i love the clean sound i get. it just has that fizziness so many people describe with OD pedals, and im assuming its because of the bright cap. Id like to look at a speaker change as my first option. Does this void the warranty though?

5. auffredou

auffredou Member

and could you also explain the 8 ohm vs the 16? id need an 8 for the DRRI, correct?

6. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

Yes, 8 ohm.

8 ohm extension out as well.

7. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The bright cap has the most effect at low volumes and less effect at higher volumes. Clip it and your low volume fizz will be partially tamed. With my Deluxe that wasn't enough. Even with the bright cap clipped it was still too bright for alot of OD/dist pedals. It took me awhile to realize it was the speaker. There a several proven speakers that will tame the high end:

Eminence Cannabis rex
    Eminence Red white and blues
    Jensen Neo.

I like the neo because its only 4 pounds. The Neo is the best speaker Jensen makes IMO and is MUCH better than Jensen's RI speakers. Its got a smooth high end that rolls off the fizz beautifully.

If you want a heavier but less expensive alternative I would go with the cannabis rex. I just don't like the clip of the RW&B at eminence's website. The CREX sounds much better to my ear and there are lots of folks who love that speaker in a DR for its ability to tame the fizzies.

8. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

chop the bright cap and put in a G12H30 70th Anniversary.

I really liked this combo especially for drive sounds.

9. auffredou

auffredou Member

thanks guys, so fr8 train, are you saying the speaker change by itself will help? or do I have to go for both?

10. stekks

stekks Member

Why dont try to clip the bright cap first and see if you like it? It only costs 15 mins, and is reversable if you dont like the results.

If you don't like it, try another speaker. Some great suggestions in this thread I think.

11. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The speaker change by itself will absolutely help. Clipping the cap mostly reduces the brightness of the amp at low volumes. Changing the speaker for a smoother one will tame the highs at any volume. I would do both as I find the deluxe to be a very bright amp.

With the cap clipped I would run the treble at 3-4 depending on volume. With the neo installed I can run the treble at 5 and its still less harsh than before.

12. auffredou

auffredou Member

any thoughs on the cannabis rex? a friend recommended this. said it seems a little quieter though, which as a humbucker player could be an issue.

13. auffredou

auffredou Member

well im noticing that my OD sounds perfectly fine when I use the normal channel, since I dont really need reverb to practice. Still a problem for gigs though. Does this mean its not the speaker since it sounds fine on one channel?

14. 9-Pin

9-Pin Member

The vibrato channel reacts to pedals differently than the normal channel. It is voiced differently. Brighter as a matter of fact. Many people report that that channel responds better to pedals after the "bright cap mod". I haven't done it myself, so i don't know, but it is supposed to make the vibrato channel sound the same as the normal channel.

I have also heard there is a way to mod Deluxe Reverbs to have the reverb and vibrato on both channels (don't know if this works on the DRRI though). I think this would be the more useful mod.

15. auffredou

auffredou Member

wow, i posted that after someone gave me a detailed description of the cannabis rex in a DRRI. sorry fr8 trane! must not have been paying attention. so is it a general consensus that the cannabis rex is a good option to help with the fizz when using pedals? i have a 50 dollar store credit at a place where I can get this, so Im thinking about going for it. Im thinking a speaker upgrade is something Ill probably want to do even if I cut the bright cap, so I may as well see how much this helps first. Hows the overall sound in general (if we forget about the fizz) of the Cannabis rex versus stock? I play a les paul studio into a DRRI.

16. doublee

doublee Member

Please compare if you can the Weber 12F150....anyone?

17. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Go to this page:
    http://www.eminence.com/soundclips.asp

Check out the clips of the cannabis rex and any of the other ones. These won't tell you exactly what the speaker sounds like but since its that same guitar loop played through the same amp with a different speaker each time you will be able to hear the comparative differences bewteen the speaker models.

The Cannabis has a smooth high end and a bit of a low mid boost to my ears which makes it sound warm. Thats a good fit in the Deluxe.

The normal channel will sound different than the vibrato channel because it has no bright cap and one less gain stage than the vibrato channel. It also does not run through the reverb or vibrato circuits. The clean tone is seriously lacking on the normal channel compared to the vibrato channel though.

This is a bit off topic but IMO I always thought that the normal channel was an afterthought at best on all BF fenders. More tubes, more circuitry, more weight, more expensive....for what?

It was considered a selling point back in the day because your buddy could plug in at the same time.:confused: Leo wasn't always right.

18. auffredou

auffredou Member

i ordered a cannbis rex, im hoping that this will do the trick. even if I still have to remove the bright cap, Ill be glad I at least tried this first to get rid of the fizz, and I probably would have upgraded from stock eventually anyway.

19. auffredou

auffredou Member

is it pretty simple to switch out the speaker yourself?

20. auffredou

auffredou Member

anyone? and does it void the warranty?