DRRI Extension Cabinet - which speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jerryfan6, Feb 22, 2015.

1. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I have a C.Rex in my DRRI Combo, but would like to add an extension cab to give it a bigger and more dimensional sound. Which speaker would you recommend pairing with the C.Rex? I'm specifically looking for something that will make the cleans be more dimensional, possibly something that tames the brightness and flabbiness a touch.

For reference, I played a SRRI the other day that I really loved. I know I can't get to that sound, but could an extension cabinet and speaker get me closer?

Which speaker do you recommend?

2. jimbo13

jimbo13 Member

The flabby bass is the amp most likely, not the speaker. At a certain volume the bass response of the 6V6s falls apart. The louder you go, the more bass you need to roll off.

For an extension cab, I would think an EV would probably do the trick. I would never put one in a combo but as an extension it makes sense and would give you tight bass and smooth highs.

3. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

Off the top of my head, I was thinking a Swamp Thang would pair well. Here is a thread offering a bunch of suggestions:
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1038130

Just to clarify, you want a 12" speaker for a matching 1x12 cabinet, right? IMO, the best way to get that 3-D tone would be to buy a 4x10 cabinet instead or maybe use a 2x10 as an extension cab.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I don't know if this helps at all, but while it's on my mind, I just tried a recto 1x12/V30 and then a custom 1x12 ported cab with Classic Lead 80 in it. Both sounded very good compared to the stock Jensen which was much more harsh. I loved the Celestions tone. I don't know what C Rex does with the amp but compared to stock, the Celestions were fuller sounding and still balanced. Warmer on the top end.

Bass was not flabby in any, but I didn't have the amp over 6. I did not run two speakers together, I was comparing the original stock speaker.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I'm using a Steamboat Hemp 100 in my Deluxe Reverb. Its like the CL80, but notably better, and has the smoothness of hemp. I liked it so much, I got a second for my Mesa.

6. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I have a ceramic Weber California in my DRRI and two 1x12 extension cabs I use with it. One with a Cele Gold and one with a Weber 12A150W. I like to mix ceramic and Alnico. Speakers are such a personal taste kind of thing.

7. dani_boy79

dani_boy79 Member

I have 2 Speaker Cabinets and a '77 Deluxe Reverb Head. In one cabinet I am using the Cannibis Rex 12", and in the other cabinet I have 2 X 10" Emi Legend 1058s. I woiuld say that the Cannibis Rex has a very 3D sound, while the 2 X 10" Legends are more Focused in the Mid, so to me they complement each other ...and talk abouit LOUD!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

I love this. Where did you get the cabs?

9. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

That's a sweet looking rig.

10. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Eminence Lil Texas Neo. Huge sounding speaker. I put one in a Mojotone pine cabinet and it weighs 17 1/2 lbs!

11. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

After a TON of time and experimentation, I found the ultimate for me. My DRRI got a fresh Bias and NOS Silvertone Blackplate glass was installed, I WAS going to dump out the stock Jensen (I REALLY am not a fan, but my Gretsch 6118TV 120th anniversary is).

I really have to watch the weight of my amps due to Medical issues,...and then the deal of my lifetime due to weight issues came my way, a like new blue line 65 amps Cab. loaded with Celestion Greenbacks (MIC, no problem had already been hip to what they were and how they sounded)...it blew my mind now on how I can have the best of both/3 worlds out of one amp., with just the stock speaker keeping my Gretsch happy...and by adding the 65 Cab. as an ext. how the 3 12" speakers blend,...

...or use the 65 Cab. straight into the amp. unplugging the internal speaker (the use of all 3 speakers is just amazing with the Gretsch also). I've been wanting to lighten my 'load' of amp.'s settling on just 2,...I have a Humboldt Blues Jr. III (nicest I've ever had out of way to many), I also picked up a super nice Avatar 1x12" and bought a EV 12L Classic for it and plan to run this as an extension for it, or may just pick up another Greenback.

It last though, I've got GREAT sound/tone and comfortable weight ta' boot. Tom

12. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

I recently experimented with a Celestion Gold, Tone Tubby 40/40, Cannabis Rex and Jensen C12Q. They are all great! And to be honest, none would totally take the brightness and flabbiness out.

The Gold has the best eq response, Cannabis Rex loud and warm, the 40/40 is almost a mix between a Celestion and ceramic speaker that's also loud! Any of these would be a great compliment for for each other.

But with the CR, I would vote for the Gold, and the 40/40 a close 2nd. The Gold is pricey though, so try to find a used one. Good luck!

13. tamader74

tamader74 Supporting Member

...that is quite funny, and very cool for him!!!. I had a 4x10" Fender BF Concert reverb RI. amp. that was as clean in sound/tone as the Friend that I made the trades with Matchless Avalon (I believe that's the model),...and he's been wanting my amp. for a long while now due to it being a 4x10,...and I never wanting to let it go,...

...but a few months back I found out that I now also have a Heart issue (Heart rate was at 144-147 beats per minute)...Dr. stated it was like I was running a Marathon constantly,...which was why I was always extremely tired and my memory/speech was off (gotta' love all the great things you get with your Chemo. 'hangovers' eh?),...

...anywho, BIG changes had to occur in my lifestyle...more Meds (I truly now have enough pills in the morning, I'm not hungry after taking them all...LOL), and zero heavy lifting, Blah, Blah, Blah and NO STRESS at all...PERIOD. Mark got my 78 lb. amp., and I got his less weight than my Blues Jr. Cab. LOL. I may have a short time left,...but I do still plan to go down a pickin'. Tom

P.S. Fuzzy, These Greenbacks DO take out the brightness,...and ain't no flab at all either, actually made my DRRI more true to a real BF amp. without using a pedal to 'Slave' as a/the mid. Tom

14. mauolaidom

mauolaidom Member

I would never put one in a combo but as an extension it makes sense and would give you tight bass and smooth highs.[​IMG]