DRRI fell off stand - static and squealing noise now

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Kevin C., May 7, 2016.

1. Kevin C.

Kevin C. Member

So my DRRI fell face down with a cord in the #2 input of the Vibrato channel. The impact was hard enough to bend the metal tip of the cord as shown in the pic below. No exterior damage to the amp, however it now produces static and squealing noises regardless of which amp input I use. Gently tapping on each tube also elicits the static sound. Any thoughts? I'm thinking I damaged the input jack somehow, but would like some advice. Thanks

2. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

Those jacks are soldered to a PCB, someone needs to check the amp out after a hit like that!

3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

You may have been lucky and it's just that the shock has sent a tube microphonic; so it's worth swapping in your known good spare tubes.

Blue Strat likes this.
  4. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

Also, first thing I would try would be to carefully remove and reseat each tube to make sure they're in all the way (hopefully, that's all it is!)

Blue Strat likes this.
  5. jay42

jay42 Member

Does it have the same jacks as the Hot Rod series? If so, the jack lugs may just need to be touched up on the board. Hate those things really.

6. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

^^ I don't know, they look similar for sure, but I do think they have different Fender part numbers, FWIW.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)

WERE soldered the PCB. ;)

RussB and Jeff Gehring like this.