• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Drri + jensen c12k

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
The C12K is a good match for the brighter sounding DRRI because it has a little less high end than some 12" speakers.

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
My favorite for the DRRI is the Cele Type A...great clean, tight when pushed and no break in needed.

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
Does it have as much low end as the C12K?
To my ear it is very close. It is perhaps slightly less scooped in the mids. Less farty and tighter in the bass as you wind up the volume. Check out the Pete Thorn vid for a spot on representation of the sound of the type A.

InkStained

I've been using the stock Jensen P12Q in my "bordeaux blues-edition" DRRI. My only alnico-magnet speaker. If I were in a band -- the acid test for any amp, obviously -- I doubt I'd leave it that way.

But at home? The P12 is just beautiful -- creamy at volume, brighter when played quietly.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Not a DRRI, but I had a pair of C12Ks in a Mojotone 212 cab, using it with my Super Reverb head.
They had a nice treble tone, great midrange (pretty much perfect, actually) and deep bass for about a day or two, then went dark. Not muffled, but the high-end was noticeably rolled off. Dirt pedals sounded really good/thick/tight, but even with low-output humbuckers (DiMarzio 36th Anniv), the clean sound was like playing jazz constantly; i.e. no snap in the high-end if I wanted it. Single coils sounded fine, for the most part.
In short, my Super still sounded like my Super, only darker.

I swapped them out for a set of 12F150Ts and those are much brighter (more 'Fendery'?), but I have to dial in my dirt pedals a little more to get to the sounds I want.

This was several years ago. I wouldn't mind trying the C12Ks again because I have all ideas that I had JJ ECC83s in the preamp at the time, which I have since ditched. As far as speakers go, I have my eye on Mojotone Greyhounds, WGS G12C's and WGS Vet30's now.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
^^^Yeah, I want to know more about the Weber 12F150. Just picked up a new DRRI a couple of weeks ago. Like it, but know it can be better - tubes and speaker exchange.
I have the 50W light dope in mine and it's amazing. I should trade out for a 25W -- I was using a lot more pedals back when I bought it. But that speaker just works in a Deluxe.

pete kanaras

To my ear it is very close. It is perhaps slightly less scooped in the mids. Less farty and tighter in the bass as you wind up the volume. Check out the Pete Thorn vid for a spot on representation of the sound of the type A.
I've been rely thinking about popping a Type A into my Reverberocket 2. On paper it sounds perfect, we'll see

Telacious

I agree with BlueRiff, above.
I actually ended up buying a C12K to put in my '65 DRRI and loved it right out of the box. It sounded great--nice and fat and full with no icepick/shrill/harsh spike on the top end. Play it with my Baja Tele (Bone nut, '58 custom shop pickups) and it really makes the volume knob more useful, getting more volume and full tone throughout the knob's travel. Nice! Great cleans and it takes pedals well. I've played and broken in the following in the DRRI: Stock Jensen alnico P12Q, WGS G12C, Weber California (H dome, factory pre-break in) and the C12K. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but the C12K required no tweaky break-in period to sound very, very good. As it ages, it is getting even better. I can run my treble on 6, bass on 5, vol on 3 and it's as loud as the P12Q on 4+, but warmer. Anyway, I really do like it and use it when I need more headroom and a stouter sound. The P12Q is used for going old-school "vintage", papery breakup and all.
I just discovered the Eminence Allesandro GA-SC64 on line a few days ago, ordered one today--let's see if it's all they say it is ("sound circa 1964"-but with modern efficiency 100.5 db). I hope so!

Last edited:

PCalugaru

me. i'm embarrassed to say how many speakers have been in my real deluxe reverb over the last 25 years. the best by far were two different C12N "Vibranto" 12's that were absolutely magical, but they both blew and i sold them long ago. a C12K needs to be broken in for a VERY long time before it settles down, and when it does it sounds great. out of the box they're quite shrill and have a fair amount of cone cry, but it all levels out over time. mine has no cone cry now and the highs are excellent. they're very C12N like but more efficient, and they don't cave in as easily as an N. they're also stiffer feeling, probably because of the former used, but i can deal with it. if i had a nit to pick it's that it has too much low end for me. but nonetheless it definitely stays
Hard to have cone cry with the amount of Dope that Jensen puts on thier speakers. Are you sure that was cone cry that you heard?

PCalugaru

I prefer the C12N over the C12K IMO it's warmer and less efficent.. Both a huge plus!

Not to mention a C12K is way to much of a speaker for a DRRI.. the HW DR has a stock C12Q (35watts and at a low efficiency of 93dbs ,,, NICE!)

It's the fair amount of dope that causes many to be turned off from Jensens, IMO I think that accounts for the "out of the box harshness"... If one actually hears that. (before being trendy here at the Gear to diss an Jensen RI's at one point) Every Jensen RI I've owned sounded great out of the box and only got better as it got worn in. In my experience, due to the liberal use of dope, the break-in time is long and pretty noticeable. My limited experience with vintage Jensens and examples from the internet... even through SICA Altoparlanti makes the cones in metric (which probably is the real reason why Weber and others won't recone.. not to mention Jensen is a competitor) I think the Jensen RI's come really close to the vintage. Not saying there isn't a better company making American vintage voiced speakers... what i'm saying is IMO Jensen RI are indeed a decent American vintage voiced speaker line.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom