DRRI Noises

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bleomonkey, Sep 20, 2008.

1. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

I was playing my fairly new DRRI and strat last night and it suddenly began making noises whether I was playing or not. I thought it was going to pick up a radio transmission or something crazy. This morning I played the DRRI again, but with a squier, and it still made noise whether I was playing or not, but this time it sounded more like a mosquito or a bee.
    Any ideas as to what is happening and how to fix it?

2. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It's late on Saturday night so you may not hear much right now. It sounds like a tube issue, maybe power tube or rectifier.

If you have a spare 6V6 swap it with one, then the other in the amp to be sure they're both good.

Hopefully, Blue Strat will be here tomorrow. He's much more help than I am.

4. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

Thanks. I will wait until tomorrow (hendrix).

5. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

Please some help. I know it is probably a common question, but I really need to know.

6. SLG

SLG Member

Turn on your amp, turn off the standby. Turn the volume up about 3/4 without anything plugged in. Are you still hearing the noises? If so, remove the tube sheild from all your preamp tubes. Listen to the amp and watch the glow in the tubes. Do you see any tubes flickering with the noise? If so, you probably have a tube going bad. Replace the tube. If you don't see any flickering in the tubes that coincides with the noise, procede to the next step.

With the amp still on, lightly tap on each tube (preamp, power, rectifier) with either a wooden pencil or chopstick and listen. You may hear a very light tapping sound from each tube. That's OK, silent is better. If the tapping sound is louder from one or more of the tubes, you most likely have a tube going microphonic. Replace the tube/s. Try this first. Then report back here.

7. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

Sorry but what's a tube shield and is it possible for me to get shocked and die while doing this stuff? I'm a sissy.

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Tube shields are the metal covers over the smaller (pre amp) tubes. No, you won't get shocked doing any of this.

When SLG says tap lightly he means lightly!

EDIT: You can tap using your finger nail too.