DRRI question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Barrey78, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Barrey78

Barrey78 Member

Hello,

This a really dumb question. Here is the problem. It is similar to another thread so I will try to keep it short. I just got this amp and I am playing this amp in my apartment. There is a lot of hum when using this amp with single coils, is this something that I have to live with or is it a grounding issue with the electricity in my old ghetto apartment. If I touch one of the inputs of the DRRI the hum goes down a little. I have a 68 twin that is having similar although not as bad problems. There was a terrible blackout in my neighborhood for about 7 days a few months ago and I was wondering if that had something to do with these problems.

Solid state amps seem to work with just a normal amount of hum from single coils.

Humbuckers seem to work pretty quietly as long as I am touching the strings.

Normal chanel=less hum
    Vibrato chanel 1=a lot of hum
    Vibrato chanel 2=little less hum

Thanks.

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I would guess your apartment. I use a DRRI at home for my practice amp and it doesn't hum at all.

3. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

That amp sounds like its whipped. I'll take it off your hands for $10. ;)

I'm guessing its more the environment than the equipment. Any nearby electrical field is going to end being amplified. Low voltage lighting seems to be particularly bad at getting through. It could even be where you have your power or extension cords routed with respect to your other cabling.

4. Barrey78

Barrey78 Member

Should I try some different outlets. I live in an apartment where a lot of the outlets are not even 3 pronged, I guess that the obvious thing to do would be to check it out at another location, but that does not help me out at home.

I dont remember it every being this bad, but it may be a problem since the blackout, and I was never really trying to record at home before.

One thing to add, the amp is dead silent when nothing is plugged into it or when the volumes are off on the single coil guitars.

5. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

There you go, it's the single coils. Check into some noiseless pickups. Kinman, Fender, DiMarzio. Many threads exist.

Also, try running an extension cord to a grounded outlet. Noise may improve, safety definitely will.

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have some DiMarzio Area 58s and an Area 61 in my main strat, very good pickups. Better than the Kinman's that I have owned. If you go that route, I suggest the Area pickups...good stuff they got there.

7. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

This may sound dumb or obvious but I've seen it happen repeatedly. Someone checking out an amp and complaining of noise while they are smack in front of the amp. Does standing back a bit make it quieter? Just a thought.

8. Barrey78

Barrey78 Member

Thanks for all of the replies. Ill keep trying some different things.

I am going to look into some different pickup options. I guess for now Ill play humbucking guitars. My main guitar is an old 68 Jazzmaster, which is usually pretty quiet, but it has had some grounding issues in the past. I really like the mellow sound of those pickups. The other single coil guitar that I use is a telecaster. It is peculiar because the bridge pickup on the telecaster is the quietest of the pickups. I think that I will look into some replacement pickups.

I never thought that I would get noiseless pickups, but I recently went from playing in a loud band, to mostly playing in my living room.