DRRI speaker extension jack question

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by msk011, Feb 4, 2008.

1. msk011

msk011 Member

Hi folks,

I'm sure this is obvious to most but,,,
    I'm unclear if it's ok to connect an 8 ohm cab to the extension jack on my DRRI with the internal speaker still conected. If I understand correctly this would provide a 4 ohm load to the OT? I've been searching around this morning without luck. The manual was not clear (at least to me) about this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mike.

2. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

It's ok. You'll have a slight impedance mismatch but the OT's that Fender uses can handle it. Don't ever go more than a 50% mismatch however.

3. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

I just looked at my schematic of that amp and both jacks are on the same line, no 4 ohm tap, but like Bonenut said you'll be fine being just one number off.

4. msk011

msk011 Member

Thanks for the replies. :AOK

I've been wanting to try the amp with my cab along with the internal Jensen so this should be interesting.

Thanks

Mike.

5. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

Here's mine with a 2-12 Fender cab loaded with Celestion Blues and a Scumback H75 in the Deluxe. Sounds great with all 3 speakers going at once. I totally rebuilt the DRRI with a Hoffman turret board and Mercury Magnetics trannies so this is one glorious sounding rig. :BEER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. msk011

msk011 Member

F-ing awsome. :drool:drool:drool Was the Hoffman board a kit that includes the resistors and caps and such or was it all seperate?

7. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Now that is what a deluxe is suppose to look like inside. Nice...

8. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

Thanks, it was a lot of fun to work on. :cool: The board comes stuffed but you have to do all the hookup wires and grounds.

9. topbrent

topbrent Member

Which Hoffman board manufacturer did you use? I have saved that gutshot as an example pic of how to route the wires.

Well done!

10. Bonenut

Bonenut Member

Thanks! Robert at The Airtight Garage did the board and a filter cap board for me. Great guy and does top notch work. Here's some more gut shots that I hope will help you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]