DRRI Speaker Install

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bluesjam, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

I want to thank puckman for some really good info about installing a new speaker in a DRRI. I didn't know that the front panel removes so easily. Pictures tell the story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Now get those stock Fender Groove Junk tubes out for a nice set of Brimars or Marconi's, and really take advantage of the speaker swap.

3. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

I have new tubes on order, amp sure sounds better with the G12H Hertiage, I can't wait to get the tubes.

4. Allthumbs56

Allthumbs56 Member

Do the four extra bolts come out of the baffle easily?

5. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

Puckman said to just clamp a pair of visgrips on the studs and rock back and forth and they would snap off. He was right, worked like a champ and they broke off smooth with the board.

6. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Bluesjam, you did good getting rid of that 'Fender' speaker, but you may find the 22w DRRI doesn't put out so much with a greenback...at least that was my experience. A higher rated db speaker may fit the bill better.

I pulled out my Jensen C12K for a greenback, and quickly went back to the 100w Jensen! I've also tried an Emi RWB with great results.

7. Curly

Curly Member

I've replaced the speaker in mine quite a few times.
    Usually, there's no problem, but on a few speakers, you want to check that the speaker frame is clear of the transformer.

8. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

How much volume drop are we talking? I'm mostly a low-to-med volume level player, so that might actually be appealing to me.

Do the DRRIs handle British-voiced speakers well? I've heard good things about some of the Emi Red Coat speakers (names the Cannabis Rex and Red Fang) and now a Greenback. Does it change the 'Fenderish' characteristics of the amp?

9. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Well the greenback is rated at 98 db. By comparison the Cannibas 102, and RWB 101 db...quite easily noticeable to most ears. You'll be fine as a low to med volume player. I had one in a Z-28 that was perfect for small clubs, but never cut it outdoors.

If you're trying to preserve the Fender sound, keep in mind the 'dark' nature of the Cannibas Rex. Otherwise it's a real good speaker, used one for about a year in another amp. The Jensen Neo or C12K are good speakers for the DRRI IMO...although lots seem to think they're too bright.

10. Bluesjam

Bluesjam Member

I played the DRRI with the Greenback and I didn't think there was a volume drop. But I do understand, I had a Vintage 30 in a Marshall DSL401 and there was a spike in volume with that speaker. I still have a Vintage 30 but it's 16 ohm's and the DRRI is 8ohms.

11. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

Cool, thanks guys. I'm still trying to figure out what my speaker replacement is going to be. I play Strats and the C12K is a bit too bright for me (even on the normal channel, although not nearly as much as the vibrato channel since I haven't done the bright cap clip yet).