DRRI starting to crunch at 2.5 volume ?!?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gnarlly, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

I auditioned for a rhythm guitarist spot in a local band last night, and used my EJ Strat and my DRRI. They played in the drummer's basement (not too loud) and miced the amps, so I was running my amp volume about 2.5 (first input, Normal channel). Amp sounded great, but what was really surprising to me was the fact that I was getting a nice slight breakup/crunch at this volume when I dug into the strings hard. This was most noticable with the EJ bridge pickup, which I have set pretty high, with the tone rolled back to about 6.5. I actually noticed the other guitarist looking down at the pedal I brought (Crunch Box) to see if it was on; I did too, and it was off.

Is this normal? I've been a bedroom player for the past couple of years and haven't been in a band in over 10 years (I used Marshalls back then, and practice was very loud); this was my first chance to play my DRRI in a band setting. Amp is biased to about 24ma (EH power tubes), with an EH 12ax7 in V1, JJ ECC83's in other 12ax7 spots, and NOS Mullard 12at7's in the 12at7 spots (reverb and PI). Could I have some high gain preamp tubes? Is the EJ bridge pickup that overwound? It doesn't sound like it to me, when compared to the neck/middle.

Just curious. Audition went well, and this guitar/amp combo sounded great. Other guitarist was using a Marshall DSL 401 on a stand, also miced; I preferred my DRRI FWIW.

2. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

Possible that the pickup height had a lot to do with it. Is the speaker stock?

3. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Speaker is stock (Jensen C12K), but broken in fairly well. Tubes are relatively new (probably less than 20 hours on them) and sound strong. Treble was set at 5, Bass at 5. I was digging in to the strings pretty hard, slamming some power chords when I heard it crunch up. Not a real heavy crunch, but definitely a noticable breakup. When I switched to the neck or middle pickups, the amp was clean enough for funky rhythms (i.e. no breakup).

I was really happy with the tone of the amp. I've just read that these things usually start breaking up around 4, so I'm just curious. Maybe I was overloading the mic input, and hearing distortion from the mixer/PA? Doubt it, as I was right next to the amp, and the crunch sounded great (not like an overloaded mic would sound).

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Mine doesn't break up till about 5 but there is a bloom and harmonic complxity on hard chords at around 3.5 It's not really crunch - I assume it is a nice distortion caused by the rectifier and transformer struggling to provide the voltage for the tubes for a split second. Sag, oui?

5. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

Yeah, that might be the ticket. This is the only amp I've owned with a tube rectifier, so maybe I just wasn't used to the sag/bloom. Whatever it was, I liked it!

6. PMcC

PMcC Member