DRRI went silent

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Sizeofanocean, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Sizeofanocean

Sizeofanocean Member

I'm sorry if this question gets asked too often, but I was playing through my Deluxe Reverb when all of a sudden the sound faded out very slowly to no sound at all. I was playing very softly (input 2 on the vibrato channel, volume at 2), I was just getting excited as this setting makes my Squier sound more like I want it to, but maybe it's not good on the amp?

I'm guessing the (Ruby) rectifier tube is blown, as it is no longer glowing, but is it normal that the power tubes are still glowing (just orangey, without the blue)?

This was the first time I played through it after the amp got transported to and from a show last week, so that probably wrecked the tube, because the amp is only one and a half years old...

Also, can I just change out the rectifier tube myself? I'm guessing this isn't too hard, and I know of the dangers of tube amps...

2. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Very likely at least one of the tubes. The rectifier is super easy to change out, no different than the rest.

3. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Yes,it's normal for the tubes to glow even if the rectifier tube isn't glowing,as they have separate filament taps.
    Try another rectifier tube,a GZ34/5AR4 and see what happens.

4. Sizeofanocean

Sizeofanocean Member

Allright, thanks! And I'm also guessing the rectifier tube doesn't alter the sound very much? I'll probably buy a TAD 5AR4 and change it out myself, though I've been wanting to replace all the tubes with TAD's and let someone adjust the bias properly, because I hear a lot about these being biased a bit cold from the factory... Now, I'm not experienced in any way in all this...