DRRI with a Celestion Blue? Am I going to pop it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tinkercity, Jan 11, 2008.

1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

So, I'm still looking around for a "Blue" styled alnico speaker for my DRRI and I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and buy a Cele Blue? I know they're only 15w and the DRRI is 22w and there's the possibility of blowing the coil...but what I'd like to know is, who uses a Blue in their Deluxe Reverbs, what volumes they use them at (with OD's/Boosts) and last but not least, am I crazy! :rotflmao

I know I should probably look at a Weber Blue Dog 30 or 50 watt or the Gold, but there's always that mojo I keep reading about the Blue...I'm specifically looking for that midrange crang and upper ended sweet top... I have a Alltone in there now that sounds nice, don't get me wrong, but just not the "feeling" I'm looking to get out of the amp.

Also, I use the DRRI with an extension cab with a Silver Bell/Blue Dog ceramic mix, both are 50w speakers. Would this make the combo more usable with a blue at 15w, given the power distribution? I also tend to play gigging volume of about 3-5... I actually never run the amp on 8-10....

Any ideas? Thanks everyone!

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I dunno I would contact Celestion to see if it will work.

I think it would be fine as long as you dont push the amp up.

Plus vox ac 30's (which sound like a lot more than 30 watts to me) use two blues.

I'm thinking you will be fine, but I don't want to suggest it, and have you blow the thing!

dk

3. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would just get the Weber 30Watt blue dog, it will take the power and its an 8hole speaker....

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Look at it this way; Fender stopped using the 50 watt Jensen C12N in favor of the 100 watt C12K. I think if you dime a DR with the C12N "reissue" it will blow, which is what was most likely going on there. If your going to use a 15 watt speaker on say 3-5 with a boost of some sort...... well you know. I personally prefer a ceramic speaker in my '65 but have tried a Weber P12N 50 watt, which sounded real nice but broke up a bit too soon for my tastes.

5. tinkercity

Interested info there...Would love it if a Blue/DRRI/DR user would chime in...no pun intended! haha

I know it can be done, I'm just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze...

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Sure it can be done. If you are very disciplined and keep the amp at a reasonable volume. If your playing with a band you may not get the clarity to be heard. If your going to use it at home with the blue and split the duties between it and another cabinet when playing in a louder setting, it can work for you. The only way to find out is to get one and try it. BTW original DR's came with ceramic Oxfords that were rated somewhere around 20 watts, many of which blew.

7. tinkercity

Interesting about the original speakers...Still hoping to hear from DR/DRRI users who have the Blue in it. Do you gig with the amp? Good point Slider, about whether it's being played at home or with a band.

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Sounds like way to many highs would be present in that combo. The RI is a very bright amp, and the Blue is just going to enhance that. I'd go with a darker speaker, I'm told the Cannabis Rex is an excellent match.

9. tinkercity

My DRRI isn't too bright, have the bright cap clipped...Also could be the Alltone too but never thought of it as really bright...I'm just interested in getting that crang and compression at higher volumes...It's looking like I should grab a Weber Blue Dog...What do you think 30 or 50 watt?

Thanks!
    Mike.

10. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I have an original silver bull dog in mine original 64 Deluxe Reverb. It's alot like the blue and sounds great when you crank the amp. I haven't cranked it for long periods of time, so I don't know if it would blow, but it sure sounds better than any ceramic when you crank it up.

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

Denis Cornell strongly advised me against using a 15w Blue in an 18w Plexi, so I would imagine the DRRI is also a bad idea for that speaker. Weber also advises using a speaker twice the rating of the amp, but as mentioned above, the two 15w Blues in my AC30 handle the probable 38w of the Vox when it's cranked and hit with a booster.

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

try an Eminence Red Fang (30 watts and a heck of a lot cheaper) to get an idea if you even like it...I had a Crex in a 64 Deluxe and it was just about perfect for that amp...with the bright cap. clipped it wouldn't be articulate enough for me...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I know a guy that popped a Blue in a 65 Deluxe Reverb, he switched toa Gold but the truth is that those speakers are simply too bright in those amps IMO...even with the bright cap clipped...same guy later switched to the Emi Can Rex and loves it...I feel that it's not a little on the daark side but he really digs it. IMO the best speaker for a DR is a G12H30 Celestion...they add some bass to a 1x12 combo that often lacks bass IMO and keep it nice and tight when you crank it.

14. Simpy

Simpy Member

I can tell you that a Gold in my Silverface is a very satisfying combination. I first replaced the original CTS with a Vintage 30, it sounded good, but the Gold is a great fit, it my opinion. It is bright, but I usually play with the amp volume on 4.5, treble and bass on about 2.5. I try to let the volume of the amp and on the guitar do the work and don't worry too much about the treble/bass boosts/cuts. I would be very scared of a blue in this amp, I've blown 2 golds in my Dr Z RXES("only" 45 watts).

EDIT: I just realized you have the Reissue, I don't know how much difference there is between the 2 power-wise, so, just so you know, mine is a mid 70's Silverface with Marconi 6v6's.

15. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Cele Blues are more robust than their 15 watt rating for sure...that's why they work in an overdriven AC 30. BUT, they are close to their limit in that amp- that's why they sound so good IMHO. The DLX/Blue combo is OK if you keep it under control I bet- meaning clean- no grind from the amp. Once you're hearing the amp overdriving you've gone past 15 watts- so you're pushing your luck. I bet it would sound OK but there are other choices if you want that alnico chime- the Emi Red Fang is a bit darker I'm told and has similar character with more wattage.

If you go Weber- I'm told break in takes a while with his stuff so don't be too quick to judge. I'd go for the 30W BTW.

Peace-

JD

16. Wescaster

Wescaster Member

Hey there is a guy on TGP that wants to trade his 80 Clestion Gold for a 15 watt blue. I don't know much about the golds. They're supposed to be an 80 watt version of the Blue.

17. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

That must be the general recommendation, but I e-mailed Ted about a speaker for my '67 Bassman which is 50Watts and I was concerned about a using a 50Watt 12F150, he thought it would be fine.

As I remember the DRRI has 8 lugs for speaker mounting like the vintage fenders, so keep in mind if you put a celestion in there you will have to modify it. That would be a bit of a consideration for me in the speaker I am choosing....

18. tinkercity

Wow didn't realize I'd have to modify the housing! Looks like a Weber Blue Dog 30w or Cele Gold are the winners....

19. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

You'd have to mod the Cele Gold as well.

20. tinkercity

Damn! Didn't think of that either! Why is that? Will they not just fit on the baffel without as many screws?