DRRI with Tone King Imperial chime?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by radiohead625, May 21, 2011.

1. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Is it possible to get the clean chime of the Imperial out of DRRI? I love the cleans of the Imperial, sounds like fender meets vox. Can you do anything to make the Deluxe chime more?

2. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

The Imperial is cathode biased and has custom wound transformers and a custom speaker that contribute to making it sound the way it does.

I don't think it is possible to get the chime of the Imperial out of a DRRI without substantial modification. For the money, effort, and research it woud take you would be better off simply buying a Tone King Imperial.

If you just want to make the DRRI chime more swap the speaker with something that is similar to the Imperial speaker.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  3. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

To my ear, a significant part of the Vox-y chime mystique lay in upper mid harmonics.

I'd start with an AlNiCo speaker with just enough wattage.

You might try an really open boost/OD with good EQ, especially with mids. I like a C-Bread Silver Kiss with my DRRI for this purpose.

4. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I would recommend the Divided by 13 SJT 10/20 for that job: there are a couple of vids on youtube.

5. radiohead625

radiohead625 Member

Well if i was to get a divided by 13 it would probably be a ftr37, but im trying to get a deluxe on the cheap and get it to sound as best as possible. Im really digging the cleans of the imperial and its based on a deluxe reverb.