drum loops for recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by hobbes1, Jan 14, 2008.

1. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

anyone care to recommend me their current favorite pack o' loops?
    criteria:

1. must sound good. doesn't have to be the best.
    2. must be easy to build a song...so easy a non-drummer type like myself can do it without going nuts.
    3. can be free or pay but if pay, prefer to keep it in the couple of hundred bucks range.
    4. compatible with Reaper recording software ( i would imagine most would be)

thanks

2. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I like EZ Drummer. Not free but very good and easy to use. Not expensive either.

3. Grun

Grun Supporting Member

Drums on Demand (DoD) has worked for me.

4. 56_Special

56_Special Member

DoD is good too. One good thing about EZ Drummer vs. audio loops like DoD is that you can edit the loops easily and control the mix and processing of individual drums.

5. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Drums on Demand
    Beta Monkey

and yes, EZ Drummer is awesome

6. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

from some reading i've been doing, it looks like one needs a "wrapper" of some sort to get some (all?) drums to work within a recording program...eg: via midi? this is new to me and i'm trying to figure out if i buy EZD or DoD will they just work with my recording (Reaper) software or will i need some other program to act as an interface between the two to get the loops or drums sounds into my recording software?
    thanks for helping a drum newbie!

7. Grun

Grun Supporting Member

DoD consists of short .wav files. Pretty much universal.

8. Humancapo

Humancapo Member

Drumcore... easy to use, sounds great and great world class grooves.

9. 56_Special

56_Special Member

In Reaper, you would just add EZ drummer to the track fx's. Couldn't be easier.

10. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

mtlin: so you are saying that with reaper, you would build a loop in EZD and then import it to reaper as a track or you would simply open it in the "add track fx" where you would normally add, say, reverb or delay?
    if it's added as an fx to a track, then do you do that for each piece? eg:eek:ne track for kick, one for snare, one for tom, one for ride, etc? or do you just build the whole loop in EZD (once it's added as an fx) and then have the whole thing on that one track as an effect?
    thanks for helping a newbie drummer!

btw, has anyone out there uesd Jamstix? opinions, please. good or bad. i understand from their website that they can "jam" with yout playing input live. any good?
    thanks

11. wire 247

wire 247 Member

drums on demand +1!!!!!

12. btg

btg Member

For the simple blues tunes I do I have found Smart Loops to be the best. I have also tried Beta Monkey and Drums on Demand. Beta Monkey were good but Smart Loops had exactly what I was looking for. Did not care for the drum sounds on DOD.

13. Dutchman

Dutchman Member

I have a large library of Smart Loops (everything) They work well with Sonar but the multitracks do not like to play well with Cubase/Nuendo.
    They sound nice though.

14. 56_Special

56_Special Member

What you do is add EZD as a track effect. You then upon up the EZD UI in the track FX window and drag and drop midi loops from there into the track. Hard to describe in this context, but one you see it, you will find it very easy to use.

15. CrazyFingers

CrazyFingers Member

I use Drumcore too. I like it b/c it has great grooves, a very simple user interface, and I didn't have to spend time editing/programming, etc. This last point may limit your flexibility--depends on your needs. To me, it's a feature.

I believe they now have a free downloadable "lite" version.

www.submersiblemusic.com