Drum Machine: JoMox vs. Elektron

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MinuteMan, Feb 1, 2006.

1. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

I am looking for a higher-end drum machine for home studio and do not want a PC-based system. Looked at the Boss Dr 880 and it is a possibility, but not impressed with the build quality. Willing to step up to the next level if the versatility and value warrants it.

Anyone using or used either the JoMox X-Base or the Elektron MachineDrum? If so, I would appreciate your impressions.

Guitars: PRS Archtop II, Grosh Retro, Anderson Hollow T, 58 LP

Effects: Analog Sun > RMC3 > Keeley Comp > Honey Bee > Red Witch > DLS CV > Echoczar

2. Madsman

Madsman Member

Consider it a bump, but I'm curious why you would want a hardware drum machine rather than sequencing on a computer?

3. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

Two primary reasons:

1. Need mobility for the sessions away from my studio (I have a desk top)

2. Want the spontaneity of a more "turn on and go" solution

4. Craise

Craise Member

Have to say...check out the DR-880 again... I think it's pretty solid. It is Boss/Roland and I think their stuff is some of the longest lasting gear made.
    Anyway...the DR-880 is made for guitarist..and the sounds are by far the best drums I've heard. As for hardware VS Computer. I download mid files with bass and drums to my DR-880. Cover Songs that my band is learning. I bring the dr-880 to pracitice with the songs loaded...then we play along with the drum machine... You can turn up or down the bass or drums. So it's super easy to learn songs this way. Also I feel I could easly do a gig with the thing... It's pretty sweet piece of gear. :) 500 patterns to work with...programing songs is super easy. Also has a guitar amp modler built in. So I just hook it up to my computer and can pracitice all day long.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I hav ethe previous version the DR-770
    (all songs on my site: http://home.online.no/~jacker that have drums are using the 770), and am curious about the 880. Do they provide a software interface at all for actually programming it as well? Also for archiving, libraries, etc?

If you tell me they have an UNDO button on the thing I will explode with joy (the 770 is EASY to make a mistake and delete a whole song when you only want to delete a pattern, or delete a pattern when you only want to delete a beat, if you arn't careful).

It amazes me that they never sold an interface. I'm with the original poster, I chose also standalone drum machine, because I work with PCs all day and don't want Gates in my music world....BUT...for programming drums, at least initially it can't be beat. The alternative takes a good long time, and a big learning curve.

If you listen to my site, some songs are using presets as the base, with either a few variances, or original programmed patterns occasionally, some are built from the ground up, and a few are JUST presets.

6. Craise

Craise Member

Sorry No undo button, and I'm not sure about programming with a computer...I don't think so. But having said that...it's so easy to program once you learn how to do it. Really this is the guitar players drum machine.
    I never liked step programming on the computer...the DR-880 has patterns that you can dial up and place one in front of the other... Also it has tons of song patterns built in ...so blues and basic 3-4 chord song stuff is super EZ to do... check out the video on the boss website...and you can see what it's all about :)
    http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=135
    then hit the interactive button...

7. jimdog

jimdog Member

It's been a while, but I had a Jomox X-Base. I remember it being very easy to sequence, nice big keys (almost retro interface), & very fat sounding. The MIDI worked great on it too. Only reason I sold it was to move to PC & get away from all the outboard wires (I had quite a few outboard pieces at the time).

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks for turning me on to that. Seems like they added a lot of good features to the old 770.

I'm getting' the itch.

9. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

If you are into really complex patterns, lots of layers and many sounds, the Elektron MachineDrum is unbeatable, however, if you want good old solid ANALOG sounds, then the Jomox is the tits. However, you can make some very analog sounds with the MachineDrum even though it is digital.

Think of the MachineDrum as a drum synth and the Jomox and an analog drum module.

-TJK

10. MinuteMan

MinuteMan Member

Helpful input.

Anyone have an opinion on the build quality/value of MachineDrum relative to its costs? They are expensive, even used...

New: ~$1,240 to ~$1,640, depending on the model

Used: ~$1,000+