1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Drum machine recommendations 2019-2020

Discussion in 'Keyboards and Synthesizers' started by Pellecaster, Nov 15, 2019.

1. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Congrats! Did Roland add song mode to it or are you using MIDI Program Change to change patterns?

Pellecaster and tjontheroad like this.
  2. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!

Latest FW has a clip chain function. Seems like a hyper song mode with extra functionalities to specify the clip duration and behavior when clip ends (repeat, stop, next clip). Haven't tried it yet. Just getting my feet wet now.

I will be looking to use my Lauchpad Pro with the MC-707 no matter.

3. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I'm pretty taken well into my MC-707 so far. It's fairly easy to get around. Even editing the synths from scratch isn't as difficult as I feared. I'm already looping my guitar too.

These Roland Cloud videos are great as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9teWpF2sLIdIL2dPF7KQtQ

white cloud and Pellecaster like this.
  4. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

Update: I ordered a used Audiothingies DoubleDrummer on reverb last night, I think it will pair well with my micromonsta and the small size is great too. Now I’m seeing that I need a midi interface, I’m running out of midi outs on my key step pro, two standard midi outs and a usb out isn’t enough, and none of my synths has midi thru. I’m thinking an irig midi 2 would work to add a through

5. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Check out these:
    http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqth.htm

Crazyquilt and Pellecaster like this.
  6. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  7. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

You can get cables that'll split a single MIDI signal into two, but the QuadraThru is better, and if you're using multiple hardware boxes, it's a very worthwhile investment imo.

sixesandsevens and Pellecaster like this.
  8. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

Say I wanted to add a beatstep or beatstep pro to the mix, would I use one of those midi solution merge boxes 2 midi in to 1 midi out?

9. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

10. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Still on the hunt, eh?

The Aura looks like it requires a computer.

Sarah Longfield's modular video has got me thinking about modular and Polyend Tracker now. :eek:

11. Crazyquilt

It looks like the Aura can control external MIDI devices without a computer, but it also sounds like a lot of functionality is lost without a DAW, so, yeah. I'll pass.

12. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I've been watching modular videos by SL and also Ricky Tinez and it seems both of them love the Digitakt as go to drum machine.

Crazyquilt likes this.
  13. Crazyquilt

:D

I still prefer the Model:Cycles for a self-contained drum synth, but the Digitakt is a truly brilliant piece of kit, as the Brits say. And it does so, so much so very well. Also, although it's a lot to learn at first, it does become extremely fun to use.

14. chunky48

chunky48 Member

I wouldn't trade my Model:Samples for a Digitakt: you still only get 1 lfo per track and you lose the workflow.

I like these (free) 808 + 909 samples: https://oceanswift.net/808909drumstash/

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Crazyquilt likes this.
  15. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I've always been more intrigued by the Model:Cycles than the Model:Samples, fwiw.

I'm guessing the modular peeps got Digitakts because all their drum synthesis needs are addressed by their modulars, but the Digitakt serves as a convenient to use sample player to complement their modulars. There are sample players in Eurorack format of course but I've no idea why they don't seem to be as widely embraced. I think the Rossum Assimil8r is cool as all as get out, as the spiritual and literal successor to the Emu hardware samplers and Proteus line, but it's also kind of expensive and takes up a lot of rack space.

I had a friend who used to play live with a modular. When he wanted to include prerecorded audio, he burned CDs and played them on a cheap CD player. This was before younger musos made it hip to record to cassette tape and play live with cassette tapes, perhaps in reaction to the evolution of hardware sample playback devices.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Crazyquilt likes this.
  16. Crazyquilt

The hardware peeps all seem to love it for sequencing/control of external gear, MIDI & CV. Plus the sample stuff. Plus it's a subtractive synth. Really, it's a Swedish army knife of electronic music production.

17. Crazyquilt

Aren't both the Model series rather hobbled when it comes to controlling external gear? I know the M:C is, but it looks like after a swift Google search that the M:S might have more robust external support. Still, I don't think it has dedicated MIDI channels like Digitakt?

18. chunky48

chunky48 Member

Pretty sure I did set up the M:S to directly control a synth and you lose one of your 6 tracks, possibly on a per project basis; it's not an issue for me because I use synths with their own sequencers.

Crazyquilt likes this.